Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM

2,154 posts, read 5,181,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowastater View Post
All - we are moving forward on our home search - super excited to get down to AZ!

Anyway, I have done quite a bit of research on DC Ranch, Grayhawk & Desert Ridge on this forum and it's been helpful. What I haven't found, though, is a thread that is specifically debating the merits of these three communities in how they compare to each other. Which is ideal for schools? Shopping? Children? Re-sale Value? Golf? Neighborhood spirit? Proximity to a good crossfit gym ? Walkability? Running trails? Views? Other?

I would like to hear some opinions on the comparison between the 2 communities. Of course nobody ever finds consensus on these points but in the debate and dis-harmony I (and future readers) learn a lot. I know they are all nice neighborhoods but I am trying to make a decision so I need help

Thanks in advance!!
I sincerely doubt that you are going to find demographics down to the community level with much accuracy.

Desert Ridge and Grayhawk are in PV school district, DC Ranch in Scottsdale, Both are very good.

With regard to re-sale values, all 3 communities will be very stable for the foreseeable future. I am not sure of your price point, but Desert Ridge will generally be a lower price point, $400K on up. While Grayhawk has many affordable homes ($450K+) in some of the non-gated sections, the ones on the golf course will be significantly higher $1M-2M. DC Ranch will be higher yet with their lower end homes being in the $550K+ range. The difference being that a $1M home in Desert Ridge will be the high end where DC Ranch has dozens (dare I say hundreds?) of $1M+ homes. I am not sure it is truly a fair comparison. If you are looking for "upscale" DC Ranch will be higher up, no pun intended (DC Ranch will be higher in elevation).

The Desert Ridge community is probably the most convenient for shopping, etc. because of it's proximity to Desert Ridge Market Place. DC Ranch will be the least dense (more open space), better views, etc.. As for walkability Desert Ridge is probably the most walkable, but you can use this website to research any address: walkscore.com

Golf? Check out these sites: DC Ranch Country Club

Grayhawk Golf.com/

Desert Ridge Wildfire Golf?

I know you are researching on the internet, but there are several other smaller communities that may well suit your needs, so do not limit your search to the large planned communities you may be missing out on some real gems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 01:50 PM

52 posts, read 73,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
nice summary by Detroit.....

and I'll put in a pitch, again, for the Town of Paradise Valley (85253 zip - not that large geographical valley area of NE Phx and N Scotts called Paradise Valley) and other areas much closer-in than the above three areas....all you ask for (golf, running, gym, etc.) are, of course, all around here, but be ready for driving to all of these things.....very little walkablility out here, too....very personal opinion, but I just find the three places you ask about very lacking in soul and neighborhood-vibe....they are too new and too suburban.....people come home, open their garage door, drive in, close the door, never to be seen again....but I may be wrong for certain blocks where the residents have tried to create a neighborhood thing, I presume.....they are certainly fantastic spots (real estate value-wise), though.....

lots of choices out here....and areas to explore....can you rent for a few weeks or months to have time to find the right spot in person?....
This is great feedback - yes, we are going to be staying at my parent's condo in Optima Camelview when we first move down until we can find a permanent home. They return to the midwest in March and don't come back to AZ until December so we have plenty of time. I want to find a home by June/July, though, because I want to get the kids started in the right school and not have to move them once we find a house. Moving will be challenging enough for them without yanking them around from school to school.

We are watching the realtor web-sites/apps like hawks at the moment looking for homes. We are big fans of modern design/architecture which is unfortunately a rare commodity in Phoenix area, especially in the newer planned communities that people are recommending to us. I appreciate the above comments re: PV as we like the location as well as the fact there are quite a few mid-century modern-style homes for sale, but its hard to get by the fact that for the same price of a newer home in a family neighborhood north of the 101 we can only buy a 1970s remodeled flip with often limited curb appeal. Therefore, we are not ruling anything out but we are tending to see ourselves in Grayhawk, DC Ranch, McDowell Mountain, etc.

Speaking of the "etc." There is a home that we really like in Pinnacle Peak Country Club area just north of Grayhawk. Any comments from anyone on this neighborhood? I don't think its gated but it seems like nice homes. For some reason it also strikes me as a less child-inhabited area but maybe thats not correct? Any thoughts would be nice. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,072,580 times
Quote:
I appreciate the above comments re: PV as we like the location as well as the fact there are quite a few mid-century modern-style homes for sale, but its hard to get by the fact that for the same price of a newer home in a family neighborhood north of the 101 we can only buy a 1970s remodeled flip with often limited curb appeal.

I certainly can see why this dilemma exists for you.....but you get what you pay for!!!....Town of PV zip 85253 is, by far, the most expensive zip in the state....been this way for years and will continue to be that way....ultra-desirable and that's why the apparent poor cost/value/size ratio seems bad....

but all that may not be important to you....I can understand that....I think the "north of the 101" spots may be a good bit more family-friendly that 85253, though families certainly exist in the T of PV...

also, consider private schools for your kids....many good ones in the area

ask your realtor to give you very recent comps on the neighborhoods....I'm still noticing (always??!!) big differences between asking prices and selling prices.....so many houses for sale in your price range!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
ask your realtor to give you very recent comps on the neighborhoods....I'm still noticing (always??!!) big differences between asking prices and selling prices.....so many houses for sale in your price range!
I'll definitely get the sale comps from my realtor. When you say big differences between asking/selling prices, what is the level of magnitude you are referring to? Is 10% difference common? Some of these homes that have been sitting on the market since the summer have already lowered their asking prices by well over 10-15%.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:49 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,072,580 times
Quote:
I'll definitely get the sale comps from my realtor. When you say big differences between asking/selling prices, what is the level of magnitude you are referring to? Is 10% difference common? Some of these homes that have been sitting on the market since the summer have already lowered their asking prices by well over 10-15%.

I'm not a realtor, but I follow the trends a bit....asking prices when first listed often seem to be utterly optimistic, with owners (often encouraged by the listing agent) asking for the moon and the stars to see if somebody utterly falls in love with the place in the first few days and bites....after about 30-60 days, there is often a drop in asking price to keep it from becoming just another languishing ho-hum listing....of course, the occasional unique, "wow" listing will move fast.....

I sorta base all this on the popular weekly column in the Arizona Republic that lists that week's top five sale prices....#1 for the week is usually some $3-5M trophy home, then down toward #s 3-5 the selling price is usually in the mid-$1M to mid-$2M range....these are still very, very nice places, of course, in top locations with more than 4-5K sq. ft., usually....and these are selling prices....so when I see these hundreds of listings in all parts of the valley with asking prices all over the $750K to $3M+ range, I have to believe the owners and listing agents are not being realistic.....

http://www.azcentral.com/business/re...ales-prog.html

a house will usually sell for what it's worth!!

Last edited by azdr0710; 01-27-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 09:20 AM

OK I'm back with a few more questions!

We are making good progress on our move to AZ - moving date set for end of April and 2 home hunting trips in March planned. Our realtor has us set up with a slick online home portal and we are studying the homes, neighborhoods and areas religiously.

One area that is causing me to struggle is schools. Our kids will be in kindergarten and 2nd grade this coming school year and obviously the school issue is a huge deal. Most of what I read on this forum regarding public schools is that they are weak at best in AZ and if we value our kids' education we should be finding a private or charter school...that being said, I think I'm going to at least start the kids out in the public system and see how they do - I'm basically just being cheap

Our kids have been going to a nice private school in Iowa and there will be some adjustment moving to the AZ schools - we realize and accept that. But we also worry our kids might be eaten alive by street smart kids from tough backgrounds, at least until they get their bearings. So I want to avoid that.

The school districts in Scottsdale and PV that we are looking at all get strong rankings and we are comfortable with them but we are also looking at homes in the Biltmore area and I have questions about those schools since they don't get the high greatschools rankings like the Scottsdale/PV schools. Specifically the schools I am asking about are the Madison Heights Elementary school and the Biltmore Preparatory Academy. Can anyone give me some information or their thoughts on these schools? Why don't they rank as high? Is there strong parental involvement? Would it be a mistake education-wise to move to the Biltmore?

I know Phoenix Country Day is there if the public school would bomb out on us but I don't look forward to Ivy League-esque tuitions for elementary school kids.

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 PM

890 posts, read 2,281,908 times
Take a look at charter schools as they are funded by the state. They are just as cheap as public schools I am not familiar with anything specific in that area but I'm sure you can find something better than the public districts.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 6,000 times
I'm curious, no that it's almost been a year........where did you finally end up and do you like it?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:47 AM

We ended up buying in McCormick Ranch. The home needed remodeling so we tore into it last summer while we stayed at a nearby condo. We couldn't find anything we really liked in our search so the remodel worked out great as we were able to do everything that we wanted. We moved in in September and have no regrets. Love the area, the school, our neighbors, etc. We are very happy we didn't end up buying up North of the 101 as we like being closer to the city. Thanks for asking!

Old 02-06-2015, 10:47 PM

6 posts, read 6,000 times
Great to hear! Glad you found a house and community that fits your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area