Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 AM

12 posts, read 34,293 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I would like to move west,maybe next year,maybe 09.
Phoenix at the moment is top of the short list.In your opinion which city,town, area wihin a 40 mile radius would suit my family best based on these three concerns.:
We need great public schools and a neighborhood where kids can meet and play with friends on the street safely.
We realize there is not as many trees in phoenix as eastern U.S. but would like to have trees around house and in the neighborhood.
Would like to come home from work to an area thats cooler and cools off faster in the evening than Phoenix in general.Maybe the west side of a hill,mountain so it would get shade late afternoon.
We would like to buy a house less than 350k,is all this unavailable?
Thanks in advance,
Rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,531 times
Try North-Central Phoenix, houses might be too expensive though, maybe around $500k.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:26 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,452,731 times
I agree that NCP would be a good choice, but I also agree that it would be hard to buy much more than a toolshed there for $350K. Arcadia and McCormick Ranch also come to mind. Both have abundant mature trees, but the same price issues would exist there. The challenge is that home prices are generally lowest in the outer suburbs, but those are newly developed areas with desert landscaping and few mature trees.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:31 AM

12 posts, read 34,293 times
Thanks,house price is not the most important consideration,sometimes its best to just pay up for quality.What zip code is North-Central Phoenix?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksrl View Post
Thanks,house price is not the most important consideration,sometimes its best to just pay up for quality.What zip code is North-Central Phoenix?
It does not have its own distinct zip code but instead occupies portions of 85020, 85016, 85013, 85021, and 85014. When searching with these zip codes, also try to make sure that you are seaching within the Madison School District. That should land you in the most desirable areas.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,531 times
I love the Arcadia neighborhood (too bad I can't afford a house there) but don't they have a roof rat problem? Or had?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
I love the Arcadia neighborhood (too bad I can't afford a house there) but don't they have a roof rat problem? Or had?
Yes, but I don't think it's severe enough to be a reason to avoid the area. Cleaning up fallen citrus, trimming trees, and trapping, if needed, can keep the problem under control.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:08 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
Try North-Central Phoenix, houses might be too expensive though, maybe around $500k.
This was my first thought, too. North Central Avenue is the only street in Phoenix that I've driven down and felt as if I was in another city (with trees). It's very expensive to live in that area, though.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Hi,
Phoenix at the moment is top of the short list.In your opinion which city,town, area wihin a 40 mile radius would suit my family best based on these three concerns.:
We need great public schools and a neighborhood where kids can meet and play with friends on the street safely.
We realize there is not as many trees in phoenix as eastern U.S. but would like to have trees around house and in the neighborhood.
Would like to come home from work to an area thats cooler and cools off faster in the evening than Phoenix in general.Maybe the west side of a hill,mountain so it would get shade late afternoon.
Thanks in advance,
Rich.
I would say that you can get that in Surprise but you will need to wait for the trees to grow up. Our home and neighborhood will have trees in the yard. I chose two Oak trees. Remeber though that this is a new area and an oak tree takes a lot of time to grow. My parents have lived in surprise for 4 and a half years and there trees are still young. The places with established trees are older areas. From what I hear the schools are good in Surprise, and they are building more of them to make up for the growth that has taken place within the past 6 years. Nearly all of the schools in Surprise are newer.

I don't have any information on other areas. The White Tank Mountains are just west of Surprise. Also lots of kids

Old 11-30-2007, 06:53 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks in advance,
Rich.
The Gilbert area in the zip codes of 85234, 85286, 85233 are areas that have mature trees and meet your other criteria. Some communities like Val Vista Lakes require a certain number of trees. It is a mature area so the trees already exist. They also require grass, with no desert landscape allowed.

In the summer it doesn't cool down like you would like it to. But the heat is easy to get accustomed to because it's dry.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area