Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,564 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I plan on transferring to ASU from OTC in Springfield, MO. in the major of Criminal Justice. My long-term goal is to be a park ranger in either Arizona, California, or Washington state, but in the short term, I would like work at the Maricopa Sheriff's department. Outside of a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, what other training is necessary for me to get a job with the Maricopa county sheriff's department?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 04:51 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Going to the source is usually the best approach.http://www.mcso.org/About/Career/DeputySheriff.aspx

As you can see, a bachelor's degree is not required, but it certainly gives you background others don't have. The training is all after you get the job, not before. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2014, 11:20 AM

10 posts, read 24,914 times
Pick another law enforcement organization in the Valley besides Joe's boys and girls. MCSO is more PR machine than law enforcement. If you want to look at people arrested, not convicted, as criminals that deserve no better treatment than animals, go for it. That's the common perception of county citizens by most MCSO employees. There's a reason a Bachelors degree isn't required, they don't want you to be too smart so they can change the way you think.

Just speaking from personal experience in Tent City and having contact with various MCSO officers around the Valley. I don't blame them for me having to do time, but I blame them for treating me as less than human during the time.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
I don't know why you are fixed on MCSO. But, owing to the antics of our publicity hound sheriff, many people from outside our area think the sheriff is the main law enforcement branch in the Phoenix area. In reality, the cities themselves all have police forces and they do the vast, vast majority of the work. MCSO is mainly about keeping the jails running. The sheriff only patrols unincorporated areas like Sun City and Anthem and contract cities like Guadalupe and, of course, millions of acres of cotton fields and creosote. The real "cops" are in the city police forces. So if you are looking at LE opportunities in general, be sure to check the web sites for the individual cities in the metro area.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Are you sure a degree in criminal justice is what you want? It limits you to pretty much law enforcement and other more marketable degrees will get you hired just as easily as a criminal justice degree. Degrees in Accounting, Finance, Business, etc. are all degrees that will help you in law enforcement and leave other career paths open to you as well. I have friends that got criminal justice degrees right out of high school and neither of them work in law enforcement and wish they had degrees in other subjects.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:26 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
OP...Not all residents of Maricopa County think the MCSO is a bunch of under-educated publicity hounds...it is a very good Sheriff's department to be a part of. That being said...the Sheriff is mainly responsible for unincorporated parts of Maricopa County and running the jails downtown (i.e. Tent City). I think if you are pursuing a career in law enforcement you may be better served with a local police force rather than the Sheriff's Dept.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Joe is a pretty good person to work for, but don't count on a job with the budget issues.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Congratulations, Newbe10 . . . from what I understand, working for the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department could very well reward you with a great deal of knowledge and experience towards your ultimate career choice.

GOOD LUCK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhahster View Post
Just speaking from personal experience in Tent City and having contact with various MCSO officers around the Valley. I don't blame them for me having to do time, but I blame them for treating me as less than human during the time.
With all due respect, RHahster . . .

Remembering "treating me as less than human during the time" (your words, not mine) possibly could be a huge positive which very well may prevent a repeat performance.

Definitely a GOOD THING.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:35 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Newbe10 - you may also want to explore the Arizona Game and Fish Department if your ultimate goal includes forest ranger:
Arizona Game and Fish Department: azgfd.gov

Also contact the people at the Grand Canyon - now THAT would be an amazing job ...
Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 02-11-2014, 06:33 AM

7,177 posts, read 9,225,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Hi all,
I plan on transferring to ASU from OTC in Springfield, MO. in the major of Criminal Justice. My long-term goal is to be a park ranger in either Arizona, California, or Washington state, but in the short term, I would like work at the Maricopa Sheriff's department. Outside of a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, what other training is necessary for me to get a job with the Maricopa county sheriff's department?
What kind of park ranger? There are many different types of jobs in the parks. Museum curators, tour guides, fish & game type activities, search and rescue, law enforcement, etc. It depends on the park and what it's needs are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area