Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Newbe10 - you may also want to explore the Arizona Game and Fish Department if your ultimate goal includes forest ranger:
Good point...missed that...if you want to be a Forest Ranger why not look into NAU's Forestry program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 PM

363 posts, read 930,073 times
WOW tough crowd...

Hey OP, follow your dreams and retire at the age of 42 like ME...

Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Good point...missed that...if you want to be a Forest Ranger why not look into NAU's Forestry program?
That is a good point. Newbe, if you're interested in a career in the national parks of the western states, why would you move to Phoenix, America's sixth largest city? I had no idea what OTC was (outside of over-the-counter drugs), so I just googled it. And I assume since you specified Springfield it means you're going to Ozarks Technical Community College. If you're going to transfer to a four-year institution with your stated goal in mind, Northern Arizona University seems like a much better fit.

NAU is in Flagstaff, a great town filled with people who are really into outdoor recreation and environmental activities, about 75 miles south of the Grand Canyon. Just check out some of the many activities going on there related to forestry and other aspects of environmental preservation. You searched for Landscape Conservation Initiative - NAU News : NAU News

If you still are interested in pursuing your degree in Criminal Justice, NAU has that. Its Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice offers several different degree programs, including one designed for people who already have a community college associate degree in Criminal Justice. It also confers degrees in Law Enforcement Management, Justice Administration, Public Administration, and other majors that would be of interest to law enforcement employers. If you'd be interested in a major more directly tied to your ultimate career goal of working in the parks, NAU's School of Forestry confers several different degrees that are accredited by the American Society of Foresters. The school advertises itself as expanding the traditional classroom to include "the highest mountain range in Arizona, the Colorado Plateau, and the world’s largest ponderosa pine forest—all conveniently located in and around Flagstaff."

Several members of my immediate family have attended NAU and a family friend is currently there majoring in Criminal Justice. He is defraying his college expenses by working in the University's Police Department.
Northern Arizona University - Police Department
That force is separate from the City of Flagstaff's own police department. City of Flagstaff Official Website - Police Department Like other counties in Arizona, Coconino County has its own sheriff's department, also located in Flagstaff, further increasing the number of law enforcement opportunities in Flagstaff. Coconino County, AZ - Official Website - Sheriff's Office

Why would you want to get involved with Joe Arpaio and the controversy-ridden Pima County Sheriff's Office, which seems to get investigated every other week, when you could be breathing clean air and hanging with the just-as-fun college crowd in Flagstaff? In any case, best of luck.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:10 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,341,146 times
The only sure jobs are at the prison.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:05 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhahster View Post
Pick another law enforcement organization in the Valley besides Joe's boys and girls. MCSO is more PR machine than law enforcement. If you want to look at people arrested, not convicted, as criminals that deserve no better treatment than animals, go for it. That's the common perception of county citizens by most MCSO employees. There's a reason a Bachelors degree isn't required, they don't want you to be too smart so they can change the way you think.

Just speaking from personal experience in Tent City and having contact with various MCSO officers around the Valley. I don't blame them for me having to do time, but I blame them for treating me as less than human during the time.
Offcourse all those criminals did treat there victims with the upmost respect, made appointment for the robbery, served their victims coffee and donuts, let them use the toilet.........

If I was sherriff , you slept outside, grow your own food, dig a well for your own water, no trees, nothing too hide.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Please keep this thread on topic, and not turn it into yet another thread about the corrections system here generally (MCSO or DOC) or Sheriff Joe. There are good suggestions here for the OP which are beyond his basic question but still on the topic of job options. Keep it up.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:38 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhahster View Post
Pick another law enforcement organization in the Valley besides Joe's boys and girls. MCSO is more PR machine than law enforcement. If you want to look at people arrested, not convicted, as criminals that deserve no better treatment than animals, go for it. That's the common perception of county citizens by most MCSO employees. There's a reason a Bachelors degree isn't required, they don't want you to be too smart so they can change the way you think.

Just speaking from personal experience in Tent City and having contact with various MCSO officers around the Valley. I don't blame them for me having to do time, but I blame them for treating me as less than human during the time.
Well, my father was wrongfully convicted of second-degree murder of my mom in MO. and if my career path requires me to work in law enforcement, I will.

However, I will do my job as required, but unlike SOME officers, I will treat everyone as a human and NOT an animal.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
That is a good point. Newbe, if you're interested in a career in the national parks of the western states, why would you move to Phoenix, America's sixth largest city? I had no idea what OTC was (outside of over-the-counter drugs), so I just googled it. And I assume since you specified Springfield it means you're going to Ozarks Technical Community College. If you're going to transfer to a four-year institution with your stated goal in mind, Northern Arizona University seems like a much better fit.

NAU is in Flagstaff, a great town filled with people who are really into outdoor recreation and environmental activities, about 75 miles south of the Grand Canyon. Just check out some of the many activities going on there related to forestry and other aspects of environmental preservation. You searched for Landscape Conservation Initiative - NAU News : NAU News

If you still are interested in pursuing your degree in Criminal Justice, NAU has that. Its Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice offers several different degree programs, including one designed for people who already have a community college associate degree in Criminal Justice. It also confers degrees in Law Enforcement Management, Justice Administration, Public Administration, and other majors that would be of interest to law enforcement employers. If you'd be interested in a major more directly tied to your ultimate career goal of working in the parks, NAU's School of Forestry confers several different degrees that are accredited by the American Society of Foresters. The school advertises itself as expanding the traditional classroom to include "the highest mountain range in Arizona, the Colorado Plateau, and the world’s largest ponderosa pine forest—all conveniently located in and around Flagstaff."

Several members of my immediate family have attended NAU and a family friend is currently there majoring in Criminal Justice. He is defraying his college expenses by working in the University's Police Department.
That force is separate from the City of Flagstaff's own police department. City of Flagstaff Official Website - Police Department Like other counties in Arizona, Coconino County has its own sheriff's department, also located in Flagstaff, further increasing the number of law enforcement opportunities in Flagstaff. Coconino County, AZ - Official Website - Sheriff's Office

Why would you want to get involved with Joe Arpaio and the controversy-ridden Pima County Sheriff's Office, which seems to get investigated every other week, when you could be breathing clean air and hanging with the just-as-fun college crowd in Flagstaff? In any case, best of luck.
Thank you for your input. I will most definitely take a hard look a U. of Northern Arizona.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

Thank you for the info.! I will definitely look it up when considering when to move to this lovely state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area