Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 5,496 times

Advertisements

I'm 24, single and alone in Scottsdale, AZ. I'm bored to death because I am out here on business but I have no idea what I should do. I'm not really into going to clubs (I'm ok with the sports bar or pub but no techno, please) and I would prefer something in walking distance. Pretty specific but I'm really just bored to death Help, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 05:40 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Scottsdale is a big place, if you are asking about walking distance, it would help to know approximately (cross streets) where you are.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:46 PM

North Scottsdale Road, Between Mountain View and Shea Blvd. I guess I wasn't thinking about big the city is hah

Old 02-15-2014, 06:01 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,388 times
If you have transportation, or a taxi, you could go just north of there to the Kierland Commons area. There's a bunch of excellent restaurants and bars there, and no techno or "house" like you get at the clubs in Old Town.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:11 PM

That's a good plan. I just looked it up, I'll probably head that way tomorrow and check it out. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2014, 06:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Kierland Commons/Scottsdale Quarter would be the place to go. Treat yourself to a meal at True Food Kitchen. If you like ginger ale, order a nonalcoholic drink they call The Natural. Delicious.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
I would go to Old Town. Kierland and the Quarter are nice but not really fun and happening and with an older crowd. Sit at the bar at Culinary Dropout and you're bound to make friends. Or go have a glass of wine and listen to music at Kazimierz. Not all of downtown/Old Town is clubs playing techno.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:22 PM

Well I will be in town until Wednesday morning so I might go to both, who knows

Old 02-15-2014, 08:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
No one should get bored in Scottsdale in a month, let alone a weekend.

Two unique things to experience at the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. First, the Knight Rise Skyscape by James Turrell is a permanent installation in the Schwalm Sculpture Garden. It is one of only 14 skyspaces open to the public in the United States. It allows viewers to see the sunset as never before, framing the sky as pure colors to show the light of the sky as never before, altering what we see with our own eyes. At the museum you will also be able to enjoy an installation called The Five Senses an installation the museum describes as "five playful works of art that inspire a sense of awe and wonderment and curiosity." Included is a sound piece, "The Forty-Part Motet," by artist Janet Cardiff, a stunning installation of choral music. It was heralded by the New York Times as "one of the best works, in any medium, of the last decades." The museum is located at 7374 E. 2nd Street, between N. Scottsdale Rd. and N. Drinkwater Blvd.
Knight Rise Skyspace | Scottsdale Public Art
calendar - SMoCA

You could also take a quick cab ride to The Arizona Biltmore. It's not merely a historic resort owned by the Waldorf Astoria Group. Designed by a pupil of Frank Lloyd Wright (under the direction of the master) and opened in 1929, the Biltmore is 39 acres of iconic architecture, gardens, pools, and first-class spa amenities. You don't have to be a guest spending thousands to check it out. There are tours of this historic facility (call the concierge) or have a drink at the bar or afternoon tea in the dining room. Restaurants range from casual to fine dining and every one is a wonder of FLW-style architecture and art. Official Arizona Biltmore Website | Phoenix Arizona

Another way to experience Frank Lloyd Wright's influence on Metro Phoenix is to visit his western U.S. studio and school, Taliesin West. This National Historic Landmark was built by Wright as his desert masterpiece. There are varied tours throughout the day (short, long, private, group, etc.) and all are fascinating. The facility is run by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation and is located at 12621 N Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd, Scottsdal. Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation : Tours

Right in Scottsdale is another historic hotel that begs to be explored for its iconic beauty. I highly recommend dropping in to the Hotel Valley Ho in Scottsdale, a remarkable example of mid-century modern architecture. Built in 1956 and fully restored, it's something most other cities in the world don't have: a place where you can have lunch poolside and swear Frank and Dean are about to join you. It's at 6850 E. Main Street, Downtown Scottsdale.
Hotel Valley Ho | Downtown Scottsdale's Mid-Century Modern Resort + Spa - Hotel Valley Ho

The Phoenix New Times has named Los Sombreros as Scottsdale's Best Mexican Restaurant. You're in the southwest — go native! Best Neighborhood Mexican Restaurant, Scottsdale Phoenix 2013 - Los Sombreros - Phoenix New Times

These are the same publication's recent picks for the five best best restaurants in North Scottsdale:
5 Best Restaurants in North Scottsdale Right Now

Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
You are directly between everything. Scottsdale Quarter and Kierland are one option, Old Town is another. If you aren't a big boozer, get a rental car and check out the area. If you want to have a few cocktails, hire a cab or town car and have fun! Personally, even though I'm not a meat eater, I'd probably go slightly south and knock back 2 martinis and a burger at AZ-88, calling it a night shortly thereafter (2 martinis there is like 4 anywhere else).

Then try going north tomorrow night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: