Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:42 AM

9 posts, read 22,077 times

Advertisements

I remember Tucson had these monster green frogs. Does the Surprise area have them? Does anyone know what I am talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 02:56 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,514,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smapua View Post
I remember Tucson had these monster green frogs. Does the Surprise area have them? Does anyone know what I am talking about

I think you mean toads, not frogs (and they are not green). Toads are seen in variious areas, I assume Surprise is not immune to them, but they aren't that common in built up areas.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:55 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smapua View Post
I winter in Surprise. I've never seen a toad, frog, scorpion, snake, or Gila monster. I'm sure they are here but I am not looking for them. I have seen several black widows around the house until I started to spray myself. A few times I watched a coyote walk down the street.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijamez View Post
Peoria gives you a range of environments from urban to suburban to rural in the North...Surprise gives you a bunch of the same boom-time houses imprisoned in HOAs within the exact same environment until you hit the White Tanks...Peoria will get you closer to the freeway and far more diversity in home designs...Surprise was only built because people were willing to "drive til they qualify" for a mortgage which pushed developments waaay out to the area where traditionally only bodies and trash were dumped...
Surprise contains Sun City Grand Sun City Grand - Sun City Grand Community Association Home Page, Copper Canyon Ranch Copper Canyon Ranch - Welcome to the Copper Canyon Ranch Website , Marley Park (Homes in Surprise, AZ | Surprise, Arizona Real Estate | Marley Park and other communities that are anything but "the same boom town houses".

Because Surprise is newer, it was one of the epicenters during the foreclosure crisis. The "drive til they qualify" has been replaced (post foreclosure) by new tele-commuters, 2nd home buyers, cash buyers, and some "drive til they qualify". This 122,000 town of Surprise lays claim to the 2nd safest community in Arizona after Gilbert (see http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...y-arizona.html ).

Next, go study the demographics and income levels. Most of the current Surprise residents could easily afford homes in Gilbert, Mesa, or Phoenix. They want to be in the fringe newer developments. Newer areas are safer.

I also like the newer nicer areas in Peoria as well. I could live in either area.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:06 AM

39,125 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Some of the best living in the valley is in Peoria around and north of about Happy Valley and along Lake Pleasant Parkway. It's fairly upscale - not millionaire but definitely affluent.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,920 times
Default Peoria

I think Peoria, Arizona is better than the rest of Arizona it is a nicer place to live and not dirty at all. It is so beautiful and you have a lot of nice people that lived in the area.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:05 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,968,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Some of the best living in the valley is in Peoria around and north of about Happy Valley and along Lake Pleasant Parkway. It's fairly upscale - not millionaire but definitely affluent.
And we don't have a freaking grocery store!! Someone needs to build something or nice into the old Best Buy spot, though traditional stores like Frys and Safeway don't typically go into shopping centers...but something like a Whole Foods would work and would be awesome, there isn't one anywhere remotely close.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 PM

286 posts, read 679,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijamez View Post
Peoria gives you a range of environments from urban to suburban to rural in the North...Surprise gives you a bunch of the same boom-time houses imprisoned in HOAs within the exact same environment until you hit the White Tanks...Peoria will get you closer to the freeway and far more diversity in home designs...Surprise was only built because people were willing to "drive til they qualify" for a mortgage which pushed developments waaay out to the area where traditionally only bodies and trash were dumped...
Enjoyed your flippant,well thought,written posting my friend.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,582,406 times
Is there a particular reason why homes in Surprise are so inexpensive, since there are a ton of homes for under $175K on the realtor.com website?

I know that there are some retirement communities a short distance away, but is Surprise (or Peoria for that matter) nice cities in which to live in or perhaps retire?

Old 09-17-2014, 09:07 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,582,406 times
Also, would an 'art-house' movie theatre similar to the apparently-soon-to-be-closing Camelview 5 Theatres in Scottsdale make sense in a city such as Surprise or Peoria given the income and/or demographics of both communities?

I'm considering moving from LA to either Phoenix or Tucson, and having such a theatre is important to me, although I know that recent Oscar winning films such as 'The Queen', 'The Hurt Locker' and 'No Country For Old Men' will eventually wind up in various movieplexes from time to time.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area