Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 03:03 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,452 times

Advertisements

I am not seeing how this issue relates at all to Az gun laws. First off, we know very little about this, yet many of the folks posting here seem to have alot of info. No one has said this was an open carry or if the weapon was concealed. Also, many here have the assumption that if Az had a tougher gun law that this person would most likely not have a gun or behaved this way. That is one huge assumption and I beg to differ. If you look at the major metropolis with tough gun laws, you would see more gun violence than you see here.
My biggest message here is to try and get some facts before rushing to judgement.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:20 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There are so many kooks, gun nuts and guns in Arizona that you quickly learn a few things if you want to stay alive. Never honk your horn, never make eye contact with anyone while you are in your car. Do not mutter under your breath when some bonehead is taking forever to get through the checkout at Walmart. Don't suggest to someone that they are bad parents when their kids are tossing food at each other at the local buffet. Don't ever talk to people at a Circle K. Just keep your eyes straight ahead and your mouth shut and you may it to old age without being shot. Oh, and buy a gun. You can pretty much take it everywhere and shoot anyone who does any of the above.
Have you ever been to Philadelphia? Same stuff happens. With guns. Despite the fact said guns are illegal.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:25 PM

675 posts, read 1,414,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
what the hell does Walmart even have worth fighting over, much less shooting someone over....jesus.
ammo... ldo...

Old 02-18-2014, 03:42 PM

86 posts, read 236,901 times
Arizona Ranked Fourth in the Nation! (For "Highest Levels of Gun Violence") Az rated 4th worse in country for gun violence.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:11 PM

308 posts, read 791,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I don't have any stats and you don't have any to the contrary. It is common sense that a certain number of people will carry a gun when the law allows it but would not do so if the law did not. It is also common sense that a small percentage of those people will end up using the gun when they should not.
But I didn't offer any opinion to the contrary, I just asked if you had any stats, as I would be interested in reading them. If I was going to offer an opinion to the contrary, I would be able to back it up using stats such as posted two posts before this one.

It is also common sense that more law abiding people carrying protection makes for a more law abiding society. Laws are in place to deal with those that use any weapon when they shouldn't, be it their fists, a baseball bat, a knife, a vehicle or a gun.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:51 PM

107 posts, read 201,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeanajessse View Post
"The organization, a left-wing think tank based in Washington, D.C., used 10 different stats to measure "gun violence," which led to the states' rankings."

yeah sure.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:14 PM

175 posts, read 372,229 times
People all over the USA carry guns. Sometimes open, and sometime concealed. I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop. You can be seriously injured or killed in a fist fight. Many people have been killed with a single punch to the head, by the strike itself, or by falling and striking their head upon a hard object. Generally speaking, if you are legitimately in fear of serious bodily injury or death, you can shoot your assailant. If you start the fight, you will have a difficult time convincing authorities you were justified in shooting.

However, the bottom line with this incident is..."Chandler police did not arrest Quadlin but will submit the results of their investigation to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office for a review that will determine whether he will be charged with a crime, Favazzo said."

Old 02-18-2014, 06:43 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There are so many kooks, gun nuts and guns in Arizona that you quickly learn a few things if you want to stay alive. Never honk your horn, never make eye contact with anyone while you are in your car. Do not mutter under your breath when some bonehead is taking forever to get through the checkout at Walmart. Don't suggest to someone that they are bad parents when their kids are tossing food at each other at the local buffet. Don't ever talk to people at a Circle K. Just keep your eyes straight ahead and your mouth shut and you may it to old age without being shot. Oh, and buy a gun. You can pretty much take it everywhere and shoot anyone who does any of the above.

A little over the top. Living in chandler and ran a retail operation PHX never had a problem and the folks who felt they need to carry was special circumstances. All in all despite my whining the Sheriff's Department and local law enforcement does a good job with the resources they have. Even Tempe and mesa PD!

However there is no excuse for bad judgment and poor choices. Pulling a weapon of any sort is the last sequence of the kill chain. I ran into a situations 1 month ago and I just left and did not engage. Period!

Put it this way, I ran all over the Valley of the Sun and felt reasonably secure. If I did not I would just leave the area. Remember if you live in fear you will make a bad choice in a critical

Old 02-18-2014, 08:58 PM

82 posts, read 173,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeanajessse View Post
Was reading article about the altercation that occurred at the Chandler Walmart.I understand that Az has open carry and do not really know all the facts of the altercation, why fight occurred and how severe fight was.I just find it a bit severe that you can drop somebody who is not carrying a weapon in the middle of a Walmart over a fistfight.I mean come on man up, when i was younger you either won the fight or you lost nobody pulled out a weapon and killed the other guy because he was losing fight.I understand the premise of self defense but its a bit scary that every time you have a disagreement with someone you might wind up on the wrong side of the grass.
Welcome to the Wild West...It's been this way since the 1800's...Although today is a TON more civilized compared to AZ's origins, unacceptable and ridiculous isolated events still occur and are not unique to AZ...Know how many people got shot/killed over less than a fist fight in Chicago last week?

Old 02-19-2014, 04:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Because this thread continues to go far beyond any local discussion, it's closed.

When there is some further action on this particular case, I can reopen it for discussion of this particular case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area