Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:11 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,369,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The idea has come up, to have a separate county in the East Valley, but it's not an idea that has much traction.
That was proposed by former state senator Russell Pearce. He had various proposals to split the East Valley from Maricopa County; the base proposal included splitting off Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, and Queen Creek into its own county (with Mesa as the county seat), while some alternate proposals also included Tempe (and I think some even Scottsdale) in addition to the cities in the base proposal. There were two names proposed for the new county: Red Mountain County, or Rio Salado County.

No matter which cities are included, though, I never see it happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 02:52 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,004,494 times
I don't see how the number of people is relevant. The county was founded well over 100 years ago when there was, maybe, 6k living here. It just so happens the population boomed around Phoenix after WWII and grew. I don't see what a new county would offer but I would not oppose a breakaway county if residents so desired.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:15 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,735,410 times
I think the MC budget is a couple of billion. If it split in half would the county be willing to reduce their spending by half? Hahahahaha

Old 02-21-2014, 07:29 PM

10,762 posts, read 23,870,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I think the MC budget is a couple of billion. If it split in half would the county be willing to reduce their spending by half? Hahahahaha
I think that's maybe what prompted the question. Perhaps an oversized county garners a higher level of corruption in government?

Old 02-22-2014, 06:18 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,899,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I think that's maybe what prompted the question. Perhaps an oversized county garners a higher level of corruption in government?
Voter turnout and political participation in Maricopa County's pretty low. Not sure enough people really care. Corruptions always been the backdrop in the Salt River Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area