Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,345,214 times

Advertisements

On a highway in Tucson yesterday, I was passed by a car that had a big sign saying, "Buy a chihuahua" with a phone number. My passenger and I both saw it at the same time and said, in unison, "You mean they aren't free?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:45 AM

78,647 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
When we see a slew of Chinese restaurants open up in Maryvale then it's time to avoid #14 on the menu.
Anywhere near the outskirts and I'd think the coyotes would pick them off....not to mention any other decent sized predators.

I know the great horned owls and bobcats in my neighborhood (and coyotes) would be snatching them up.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,087,217 times
Oh my..... poor little doggies.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 AM

7,199 posts, read 9,275,181 times
I grew up near 35th Ave & McDowell. Went to Isaac Jr. Hi. It seems funny to me that people call the area Maryvale nowadays. Back then Maryvale was closer to Maryvale Mall or H.S.

As to roving dogs. Many people in the neighborhoods just don't bother to keep their dogs in. Or their fence won't hold the little ones like chihuahuas. For that matter the big ones as well. But there are a lot of neighborhoods in the Metro area that have similar problems with loose dogs.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 AM

892 posts, read 1,504,081 times
Suddenly I'm reminded of a certain episode of South Park...

They coming right for us!!! - YouTube

Yep, I'm evil, I know it :P

Old 02-20-2014, 12:36 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,717,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
On a highway in Tucson yesterday, I was passed by a car that had a big sign saying, "Buy a chihuahua" with a phone number. My passenger and I both saw it at the same time and said, in unison, "You mean they aren't free?"
I think breeders of all sorts are the problem - As long as the shelters are full of animals, there's really no place for a "professional breeder".. That isn't an "occupation", and folks doing that for money need to get a real job. Companies doing it for profit need to go away - preferably through social pressure, and by laws if necessary. Strays could be almost entirely eliminated in just a few years if people would stop *buying* animals and force the breeders to get real jobs.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,677,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I think breeders of all sorts are the problem - As long as the shelters are full of animals, there's really no place for a "professional breeder".. That isn't an "occupation", and folks doing that for money need to get a real job. Companies doing it for profit need to go away - preferably through social pressure, and by laws if necessary. Strays could be almost entirely eliminated in just a few years if people would stop *buying* animals and force the breeders to get real jobs.
This.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:40 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,009,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
This can be an actual job. A lot of AKC quality breeders do it for a living. That is how the breed good animals. They are not amateurs.

You're confusing people that know what they are doing with amateur backyard breeders. Apples and oranges.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,677,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
This can be an actual job. A lot of AKC quality breeders do it for a living. That is how the breed good animals. They are not amateurs.

You're confusing people that know what they are doing with amateur backyard breeders. Apples and oranges.
There are plenty of unwanted "AKC quality" dogs that get killed in shelters. Greed is the driving factor.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:31 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,717,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

My current dog was originally a "mall dog" from a puppy mill in Missouri - "Hunt Kennel Systems" produced him, just like Tyson foods produces chickens. - except I'm pretty sure we have higher standards for animals we intend to eat. .. they are certainly professionals, and they certainly "know what they're doing" - if you read the stories about what they do to animals in those corporate puppy mills, it's just plain awful, un-American, and uncivilized.

I'm about as far as you can get from being a member of Peta, but they do have a point when it comes to corporate breeding, and "Mom and Pop" operations aren't much better.

I'd be embarrassed to cash a paycheck earned by breeding animals, and they really ought to be too. If it's all about "love of the breed", then why make a profit doing it? My current hobby is reloading ammo - you love the hobby?, then stop by sometime, and I'll show you everything I know about it for $0. I'd do that because I think my hobby is the greatest thing ever, and I'd love to share it with others.

We don't *need* dogs for sale at the mall.

We don't need to euthanize seven million cats every year.

If you've ever been to either the County Shelter or the Humane Society's shelters, you would be floored by the volume of great, loving & friendly animals withering away. And even "no kill" shelters kill about half of the animals they receive because they're "not adoptable" - (even though nearly all animals would be adoptable if they were given a tiny bit of training & basic meds - cats are routinely killed because of minor respiratory infections, treatable in a few days with $1 in antibiotics.)

If you really like animals, you should be kinda mad - not at the shelters, but at the weenies making money by selling animals, and the irresponsible jerks who live in your neighborhood who are too cheap to get their animals fixed. Maybe it's time to start neutering irresponsible pet-owners, instead of pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area