Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:18 PM

681 posts, read 1,562,239 times

Advertisements

I would also look at Stetson Hills / N. Deem Hills parkway (zip 85083).... beautiful neighborhood, great schools, you can walk to great hiking trails and it's close to your SO's work and lots of amenities at Norterra/Happy Valley Towne Centre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,002,651 times
Good luck in the house search. A budget of $500k should open a lot of doors for you. You'll find something that meets your needs and desires, for sure.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:10 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,032,258 times
As others have mentioned, it depends on if you want newer cookie cutter houses, or older custom homes. I have bought new built and older homes in my life and I very much prefer the older homes. I have lived in Moon Valley for almost 10 years and I love the character and uniqueness of the homes plus the huge lots. It is a great place to live and very convenient to travel from for work or play.

You definitely should pull all three of your own credit reports. Then you should get information about a mortgage and your qualifications from several banks (starting with your own bank is a good thing) and mortgage brokers/lenders. You will find that a lot of them provide the same mortgage products but their fees may be quite different so really pay attention to the fine print and ask a lot of questions. You have been given great advice to search for information on the internet first where you can find advice on what important questions to ask. You can even hire at no cost to you a real estate agent (sellers pay the commission for both the sellers' agent and the buyers' agent) who can help you with your home search. Just remember that unless a real estate agent is also a licensed mortgage broker, it is unethical for them to give you financing advice about a mortgage. They should be referring you to an expert. Although they can look at the mortgage information you receive and tell you if the fees or the rates look "normal" or "reasonable" before you commit based on their experience with their other clients.

Also, after you pull your credit reports, when you talk to a mortgage professional ask them if they will waive pulling your credit report and charging a fee if you provide them with the current report you already have. Some will and some won't. If they won't then ask if they will only do a "soft" inquiry to start. As mentioned before, a full "hard" inquiry takes points off your credit score and too many of those can put you in a different credit bracket. A "soft" inquiry, like when you pull your own report or when a credit card company wants to send you an offer in the mail and does a credit inquiry, does not take points off your credit score.

As first time homebuyers you are entering a very uncertain and scary situation, so as everyone has already advised you, go in with your eyes wide open and do your homework before taking the leap. Much good luck to you, and a permanent welcome to Phoenix!

Old 03-14-2014, 10:02 AM

23 posts, read 30,255 times
How would these three compare?

Fireside at Norterra area
Cave Creek area
Fireside at Desert Ridge area

Which of these areas are best for resale and schools?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:48 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,080,184 times
Gee eWizard, I wouldn't go through all of this stuff myself. Why don't you just get a realtor in the north area and let them do all the legwork ? Get a buyer's agent who will have ALOT of info and save yourself some grief. JMHO

Old 03-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Gee eWizard, I wouldn't go through all of this stuff myself. Why don't you just get a realtor in the north area and let them do all the legwork ? Get a buyer's agent who will have ALOT of info and save yourself some grief. JMHO
^^^^+1

Our agent was outstanding - provided excellent service and we ended up with a home (and price) that we were extremely happy with. All of that at no cost to us... the fees, in the VAST majority of cases, are covered by the seller.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:18 AM

But I like doing the research. Is there no need to?

Old 03-14-2014, 11:23 AM

19,449 posts, read 27,897,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eWizard View Post
How would these three compare?

Fireside at Norterra area
Cave Creek area
Fireside at Desert Ridge area

Which of these areas are best for resale and schools?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
PhxBarb is spot on. And have you pre-qualified yet? Useless to look at this stuff until you KNOW you can qualify for a mortgage, and how much you can afford.

Quote:
But I like doing the research. Is there no need to?
Not unless you want to run the higher than you realize risk of looking at houses you won't be able to buy. And that, IMHO, is a heartbreak that you shouldn't have to go through.

Once you are educated about the numbers, THEN you can research and look at houses on the internet. And get a realtor to keep you on track and help you find the perfect home for you and your family.

STOP, take a breath, take a step back, and start over at step one.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:30 AM

Yeah. We got pre-approved earlier this week. Got approved for 500K.

We are planning to see a few open houses this weekend at various price points starting from 250K and find the cheapest price-point/house combination we like. Then we will narrow our search to this price point +- 20K. Is that a good idea?

Old 03-14-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah. We got pre-approved earlier this week. Got approved for 500K.

We are planning to see a few open houses this weekend at various price points starting from 250K and find the cheapest price-point/house combination we like. Then we will narrow our search to this price point +- 20K. Is that a good idea?
That's fine - but since you have admitted that you are new to this whole house shopping thing why not enlist the assistance of a professional that will guide you through it? I too like doing my own research - but I have experienced the benefit of a good realtor first hand on more than a few occasions.

Realtors make a career out of looking for houses - I know that's obvious - but they may help you to see attributes or flaws that you never even knew could exist. A good realtor can also give you a list of "comps" in the area in terms of past listing and sale price. Some realtors have access to listings "before" they hit the market. They can access "live" MLS meaning they will get the listings as soon as they are listed, not time delayed like some 3rd party sites. In short they offer EXPERT advice.... at no cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area