Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 AM

9,806 posts, read 11,200,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Hard to believe all the advice to not disclose the actual number of pets you have. That is terrible advice as you should not be renting in a place where you can not follow the rules to live there. Not to mention lying to a landlord about the number of pets you actually have.
Other than the post after yours, I heard people saying buy and lie (not rent and lie).

I moved into an HOA intentionally. If I learned my next door neighbor had 6 cats and they broke the HOA rules, I'd give the HOA a call or remind my neighbor that they signed an HOA agreement. I love pets and all, but 6 cats is a little much. You can be a clean owner that takes care of their animals, but I just don't get the feeling the OP would put her 6 cat to death for a couple of them were peeing outside the litter box. One of my cats 25 years ago started to pee outside the litterbox. He had a one way ticket to the pound. I felt bad but the smell of my home and it's value trumped Tiger living with us. No more cats for me....

IMHO, if you signed on the dotted line and you think the HOA rules don't apply to you, then be ready for the ramifications. I don't want my neighbors cats roaming my yard nor their home stinking inside (which will reduce their eventual sales value (and because of comps, also pulls down my homes value). Some people despise HOA. More often than not that, that is exactly the reason why I want an HOA.

That said, I predict most HOA's don't have a pet limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Some CC and Rs that were linked in a thread on a different issue yesterday had language in them about a "reasonable" number. I'd rather have a hard and fast number than a standard like that.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 AM

247 posts, read 844,887 times
The limit set is to protect them in lawsuits where they are fighting things like a hoarding situation. I hardly see 6 as hoarding.
I have a neighbor that smokes cigars on his patio, I hate the smell but I guess he has every right to do it on his property. I think the limt is silly but it protects them in the case of smells or other ways an animal might disturb the intolerant and a complaint is issued. They aren't looking for you, a responsible pet lover...they are looking for trouble makers.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,481,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

IMHO, if you signed on the dotted line and you think the HOA rules don't apply to you, then be ready for the ramifications.
Couldn't have said it better.

If one can't follow/doesn't want to follow the HOA rules, than look to live in an non-HOA community.....doesn't get any simpler....and one's life will be simpler/less stressful.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:22 AM

240 posts, read 348,686 times
Almost every HOA that we called today says reasonable amount in the CCR, they sent us the actual CCR's also to verify, and on the phone they said as long as you keep them in the house and they aren't bothering neighbors you are fine.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 AM

19,449 posts, read 27,897,754 times
Quote:
I moved into an HOA intentionally. If I learned my next door neighbor had 6 cats and they broke the HOA rules, I'd give the HOA a call or remind my neighbor that they signed an HOA agreement. I love pets and all, but 6 cats is a little much. You can be a clean owner that takes care of their animals, but I just don't get the feeling the OP would put her 6 cat to death for a couple of them were peeing outside the litter box. One of my cats 25 years ago started to pee outside the litterbox. He had a one way ticket to the pound. I felt bad but the smell of my home and it's value trumped Tiger living with us. No more cats for me....
GOOD.

Quote:
IMHO, if you signed on the dotted line and you think the HOA rules don't apply to you, then be ready for the ramifications. I don't want my neighbors cats roaming my yard nor their home stinking inside (which will reduce their eventual sales value (and because of comps, also pulls down my homes value). Some people despise HOA. More often than not that, that is exactly the reason why I want an HOA.
I agree 100%.

Quote:
That said, I predict most HOA's don't have a pet limit.
You would be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
Almost every HOA that we called today says reasonable amount in the CCR, they sent us the actual CCR's also to verify, and on the phone they said as long as you keep them in the house and they aren't bothering neighbors you are fine.
I have no idea what "reasonable amount" means, and I doubt that's what the actual document says. And as for what they tell you on the phone about "you are fine," it's a comfort that would be legally worthless.

But since your cats are indoor cats, I still think the liklihood of you having any problems with an HOA is close to non-existent, especially if your neighbors never know that you have six cats.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
GOOD.

I agree 100%.

You would be wrong.

I have no idea what "reasonable amount" means, and I doubt that's what the actual document says. And as for what they tell you on the phone about "you are fine," it's a comfort that would be legally worthless.

But since your cats are indoor cats, I still think the liklihood of you having any problems with an HOA is close to non-existent, especially if your neighbors never know that you have six cats.

Actually, there were some CC and Rs linked here yesterday on another subject, and those did in fact say "reasonable amount". I don't know what it means, either, but with indoor cats, I could make a good argument that six is reasonable. As long as you don't run afoul of the neighbors or the HOA in some other way.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:25 AM

1 posts, read 350 times
buy a house too many 2 legged rats in Arizona+

Old 10-05-2017, 07:28 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,928,061 times
6 cats in a house is just way too many, unless the house is huge..
I would hope my HOA wouldnt allow that many in a single house

OOPS 3 year old thread..never mind..

Last edited by wase4711; 10-05-2017 at 07:36 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 12:25 PM

50 posts, read 55,586 times
Do you have any skittery cats that run away when the door opens or strangers come inside? Then pretend, on applications, that those skittery cats don't exist, and count only the ones the managers and maintenance would actually see/find in the unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area