Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:21 PM

240 posts, read 348,197 times

Advertisements

We are desperate trying to find a place to allow our 6 cats, we are running into HOA's not allowing more than 4 pets and then there are landlords of course that don't want more than 2 pets which I do understand but we are super clean and willing to put a deposit down for each pet. There has to be someone out there that will allow this? I can't imagine that no-one in Phoenix Arizona or around doesn't have 6 cats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 01:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
How would an HOA know if you have 6 cats instead of 4?

Old 03-08-2014, 03:16 PM

I just want to be honest so I don't get myself in a sticky situation later, my cats are my babies, my family, and my life.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:47 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
I would recommend posing in the Phoenix AZ section about housing questions. And you can look on craigslist. There are sub sections you can choose to find places that rent with pets allowed. Just be careful on craigslist. A lot of it is scam.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Thanks Catsmom21 everyone in the Phoenix area is telling me that I will have to buy non-HOA, but I was hoping to find someone in this forum that would let me know their situation. I have a post on craigslist now hoping someone will email me, there has to be some sweet cat lover out there that rents houses lol.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:40 PM

If you're renting, you're not really risking much. Owning in an HOA would mean possibly losing your house. Rent outside of an HOA so state laws apply regarding notice, etc. I'd break a lease and move before giving up a pet. How is anyone going to see you have 6 cats? It would be different if it was "no pets" and someone saw a cat in the window, but they're allowing four cats. Four cats are a lot of cats. What's two more? Do some of them look similar from a distance? Some of them have to since there aren't 6 different cat colors.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:51 PM

Yes some of them do look a like. When you mentioned Rent outside a HOA so state laws apply regarding a notice, does this mean so the landlord would give me more time to get out? But then where would I go? We are move clear across the country as a family and I don't want to risk anything. I would never give up my pets, that's why I am debating whether I might have to take our dreams off the table completely of moving which is going to devastate all of us since we literally have been planning this for a year.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:13 PM

I really doubt anyone would notice the difference between 4 and 6 cats if some of them look alike. Are you planning to buy a home? If you buy outside of an HOA, you won't have to deal with people telling you what to do. Are you planning to buy eventually and just needing a place to rent until you find a home? Is it possible for one person to move ahead until a home is purchased? That's how my parents did it when I was kid. My father would transfer to a new place and we'd stay behind with her until our house sold or our new house was built. We were sometimes separated for 6 months.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:59 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,301 times
I thought state law allowed 10 animals, I have 6 cats and 4 dogs, I live in an hoa and no one has said anything. A couple of my cats do not go out much but there are other neighborhood cats outside my house so it probably looks like I have a lot more than I do but no one has said anything to me.
I say disclose 4 and if anyone asks about the other 2 say you are babysitting 2 cat guests, after all cats only live 15 years and a couple of your cats may only be guests for another few years.

If you are renting you will need to rent a condo or home because apartment management companies will want you to declaw anyway.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 PM

Yes actually he is talking about transferring out first before my boys finish school, we just want to find a place first. We are coming out next month again, last weekend we came out and saw 40 houses, every single one was HOA, I didn't think I would have this issue but then found out afterwards, my realtor said it isn't easy to get a copy of the CCR's but she said she would try to find some stuff out. I called one HOA myself on a home I saw in Buckeye and they told me there was no restrictions on the amounts, but she wasn't reading it from the CCR and people on here told me almost all CCR's say 4 pets limit. Can you recommend good areas to live where there are non-hoa's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area