Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:10 AM

15 posts, read 85,714 times

Advertisements

We're moving to AZ and are having a hard time deciding where we should live. The tough part is that we will work on opposite ends of the city. One in the very south part of Chandler, the other on the north side of Scottsdale.....

So my question is where would be the best place? We looked at a house in east Mesa but weren't too sure about the area. And if we live in South Gilbert or Chandler won't the drive to Scottsdale be really long?

Any help on this would be much much appreciated!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 AM

106 posts, read 532,599 times
If I were you I would look at South Chandler. Have you looked at Fulton Ranch? One of you will be right next to work and the drive to North Scottsdale is not bad from there. My husband has an office in N Scottsdale and we lived in Ocotillo in S Chandler and now live in S Gilbert... the drive from either location isn't bad but definitly fromt the S Chandler area it wouldn't be a problem.

My husband doesn't go to his office very often but he's learned tricks of leaving earlier or later to beat traffic when he does go... he is normally there pretty quickly unless he runs in to an accident.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 AM

106 posts, read 532,599 times
Imo, I would not buy a house in Mesa.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 AM

6 posts, read 21,553 times
I live in west Mesa at the 202 & 101. I work at the Shea & 101 and I drive to work everyday. It usually takes about 25 minutes to half an hour to get to & from work(sometimes less). If your looking at drive times south chandler is going to take you at least 45 minutes to an hour in rush hour (sometimes less). If you leave at an odd time you could make it about 35 minutes without speeding.
As far as neighborhoods go South Chandler beats almost anywhere in Mesa hands down. East Mesa is very nice however again depending on where you work you could be looking at least an hour communte one way during rush hour.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Well Glendale should be out for sure. That's WAY on the other side of town-- a monster commute for both of you. I'd suggest Chandler, living less than one mile from the 101. That way at least one of you will already be in Chandler and have a short commute, and the other one will have easy access to the 101 to shoot north. One warning though: prepare for major backups everyday on the 101 heading to and from work!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:20 AM

15 posts, read 85,714 times
Default 101

Is the 101 the only way to get from Chandler to Scottsdale? If so how much traffic are we talking about? Time wise? 45 mintues?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:59 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
South Chandler would work, and so would Gilbert as long as you stayed fairly close to the highway 60.

South Tempe has a great area around Warner and McClintock which is a little further north than the South Chandler area.

I believe you would be making a better decision by buying in those areas than in Mesa.

Bill

Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 PM

5 posts, read 16,082 times
We moved here five months ago and still not sure where we want to live but definately Tempe/south/west would be good if working in Scottsdale and S chandler. Not too much traffic heading down south but traffic very heavy on 101/i10 at rush hour.

I like Tempe alot as it is more established, has more trees. Favorite area is warner ranch for Tempe and Occotillo for S Chandler. I have looked at homes in Mesa but do not like the area at all. Many people like Awatukee, expensive but very pritty area with the mountain views, Close to I10 which will take you up to Scottsdale and down to Chandler.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:13 AM

14 posts, read 29,696 times
I live in Mesa and have for most of my life. Mesa is okay it just depends where you live. The best area is between Lindsey and power between Mckellips and Thomas, but its not cheap at all. Gilbert is really nice and its cheaper than Scottsdale, stay away from Tempe.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:28 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
Yeah, I have heard a lot of good things about Gilbert. When and if I make it there, I think I will try to move in that area. There was a certain tv show (dont want to advertise) on a certain tv network (dont want to advertise) on the other night and they featured places in AZ to live and Gilbert was one of the locations. I really liked what I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area