Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Lowes tomorrow. I considered mandarines but I think we would get more use (juice/eating) out of an orange so I think we're going to go that route. That is amazing how many fruit that young tree has in the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 AM

563 posts, read 1,786,919 times
great thread! We have five fruit trees, of which four are orange, and each one is different. Why is the best way to identify the type of orange? They are each of different shape and size, it looks like. Take them to a nursery?

Old 03-24-2014, 02:33 PM

In case anyone is looking for citrus trees, Lowes has a ton of them. Many different mandarin, clementines, tangelos, lemons, limes, kumquats, oranges, etc. I was very impressed by their selection, however, they only have 3 and 6 gallon sizes so they are pretty small. They had Navel, Valencia, Trovita and another orange that I cant remember (casa casa maybe).

Prices were $28 for the 3 gallon and $48 for the 6 gallon.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:42 PM

713 posts, read 1,460,974 times
i grow Trovita
Citrus and Fruit Trees - Moon Valley Nurseries Phoenix - Moon Valley Nursery

Old 03-24-2014, 02:44 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
I would go with a Beck Early or a Temple.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:38 PM

Drove over the Whitfill Nursery yesterday and bought an "Arizona Sweet" orange tree. No one seems to be able to tell you what variety of arizona sweet they are but they are labeled "Arizona Sweet" and their Valencias were completely separate. I'll update this thread once it is planted and get our first oranges. There are lots of new oranges so I hope I don't lose them when it is transplanted. Fingers crossed...

Old 03-26-2014, 10:42 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Drove over the Whitfill Nursery yesterday and bought an "Arizona Sweet" orange tree. No one seems to be able to tell you what variety of arizona sweet they are but they are labeled "Arizona Sweet" and their Valencias were completely separate. I'll update this thread once it is planted and get our first oranges. There are lots of new oranges so I hope I don't lose them when it is transplanted. Fingers crossed...
Good luck! How big is the tree? If you mean the tiny little green oranges that show up after the petals of the blossom are gone, you might lose some, but hopefully not all. Are they planting it for you?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Good luck! How big is the tree? If you mean the tiny little green oranges that show up after the petals of the blossom are gone, you might lose some, but hopefully not all. Are they planting it for you?
The largest size Whitfill Nursery carries is a 24" box so it's about 8' tall. Yeah, just the little tiny green oranges that develop when the flower falls away. I know I'll lose many but I hope some of them survive the transplanting and I don't have to wait two years to see what the fruit is like. I don't think Whitfill plants way out here in the west valley so I just brought it home and will have my landscapers plant it after the remove the sissoo.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The largest size Whitfill Nursery carries is a 24" box so it's about 8' tall. Yeah, just the little tiny green oranges that develop when the flower falls away. I know I'll lose many but I hope some of them survive the transplanting and I don't have to wait two years to see what the fruit is like. I don't think Whitfill plants way out here in the west valley so I just brought it home and will have my landscapers plant it after the remove the sissoo.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

That's probably about the size my tree was when it was planted. (It's been too long to remember, and I don't have pictures from back then.)

It's bound to be a VAST improvement over that evil tree you have now. Good luck! (BTW, extension service never did call me back).

Old 03-27-2017, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 921 times
I am looking to buy an orange tree of some kind I like one that is easy to peel and only grows about 8 to 10 feet tall.
What do you recommend ???
jimbona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area