Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:21 PM

257 posts, read 685,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes. And there was a recent long, now closed thread about this topic. Worth reading.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...realistic.html

Note that the OP, who adamantly insisted she could make do without a car, maybe using only an electric scooter, has now gotten her driver's license and is buying a car.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...river-not.html
Came back to update. Yes, i got a license in 2 weeks (they give those out to just about anybody, because I was not ready to drive). Bought a car right away, then drove it around side streets in my neighborhood during the day for practice for a couple of weeks. Feel more comf now. Could I live here without a car? yes. I dont even use it every day. But i had to go to the dentist few times and though there are 50 in walking distance I chose 1 few miles away. Same with accountant. Stuff like that. Remember I work from home. Post Office here is really good: they answer the phone, they pick up big packages on time, in general they are nothing like in NYC. I never have to go to the PO since I can generate all labels online. Would I want to live here without a car? Not really. I kinda like having a car now. Its something new to me. But if money was an issue its def doable. I live near Fashion square and I see people walking and at bus stops AOTT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 07:42 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,271,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Lots of large sunbelt cities are that way. Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and others have always been generally vehicle-reliant.

Think about the cities in the midwest and east where people have to stand outside in sub-zero weather, ice, and snow waiting for busses. Phoenix's summertime heat isn't anything to take lightly but all those harsh winter conditions can be hard on people's health too.

When you consider the weather and people's comfort I think a car is necessary just about anywhere in the United States, even suburban areas of Boston, New York City and Chicago are heavily car-dependent.
Portland Oregon comes to mind as a city that could be lived in without a car. Mild weather, excellent public transportation, bike paths all over the place. Most Cities, do to weather would be a pain.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:24 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Portland Oregon comes to mind as a city that could be lived in without a car. Mild weather, excellent public transportation, bike paths all over the place. Most Cities, do to weather would be a pain.
Portland can have some very rainy winters, but you're right in that it has good public transit. I think San Francisco is one of the few cities in the western U.S. where a car might not be needed. They have generally mild weather, aside from the somewhat rainy winters. If you want to talk about weather, San Diego COULD be accessible without a car, but the only thing is that it's very sprawling (much like Phoenix). Only the downtown areas of both Phoenix and San Diego are walkable and not heavily vehicle dependent.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:05 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,271,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Portland can have some very rainy winters, but you're right in that it has good public transit. I think San Francisco is one of the few cities in the western U.S. where a car might not be needed. They have generally mild weather, aside from the somewhat rainy winters. If you want to talk about weather, San Diego COULD be accessible without a car, but the only thing is that it's very sprawling (much like Phoenix). Only the downtown areas of both Phoenix and San Diego are walkable and not heavily vehicle dependent.
Yep, San Fran is a good one, A city I would be afraid of if I HAD a car. Parking in that city is a nightmare. Those hills....OMG. Would only moved there if I got rid of my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area