Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 AM

836 posts, read 1,664,379 times

Advertisements

So many people are raised by wolves with no concern for others; dog parks stories are just one example.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:19 AM

9,816 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post

I will bite. What is wrong with the statement? Sorry, I agree whole heartedly. If your dog is hurting my dog or child, you better believe I will do what is necessary to stop the threat.
Pun intended? I also have a Golden. Best family dog ever. She has zero interest in barking or attacking other dogs. We no longer go to the dog parks. There are too many idiot owners who don't know their pets real personalities.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 AM

77 posts, read 112,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

In this society, you cannot trust others to be responsible.
That says it all.

I understand the rationale behind bringing your dog to a dog park, but I think there are some people who use it as an excuse not to walk their dog. They can just stand there while their dog runs around. In my opinion, there is no substitute for actually walking your dog (ON A LEASH). You get to bond with your dog and you can correct bad behavior.

The bottom line is, at least half of dog owners have no business owning a dog (and I'm not even addressing the 18-35 Alpha male who needs a pit bull or Rottweiler to display to the world their toughness). If you feel the need to leave your barking dog outside for extended periods of time, (incessant barking for more than a half hour, multiple times a day) you should not own a dog.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:48 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Let's try to keep this focused on experiences with dog parks in Metro Phoenix. Otherwise, there's plenty of discussion of this in the Dogs forum.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:56 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,692,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger427 View Post
There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin so I won't. : smack:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the post you quoted.

People have the absolute right to protect themselves and their property. Period. No ifs, ands, or butts about it.

I used to live at an apartment complex where tenant's dogs ran loose, chasing and jumping on leashed dogs and their owners. I carried a stun gun for exactly that reason.

Dog parks as a whole are a bad idea.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:00 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,104,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Of course! In an age when self-responsibility is lacking, there is so much wrong with my post. Asking people to be responsible with their dogs and claiming you will defend yourself is wrong in today's society. Heaven forbid, don't use the taser to separate the dog attacking my dog! Instead, let's give that dog a big hug and kiss and blame the owner. It's like the morons who are trying to save the pit-bull who mauled the 4 year old's face.....no it's not the breed!!! Yeah, I get it was the babysitter's fault for allowing the kid to walk in front of the pit bull. The pit bull is completely innocent for savagely tearing off a child's face. Love that logic

I have no problem with what I said. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone tasing a dog if it attacks them or their dog. I absolutely support people using any means to defend themselves and their pets against a dog attack. Hopefully that will send the message to enough irresponsible dog owners that they have to socialize their pets and/or keep them on a strict leash to prevent their pets from causing harm to others. Too many people are cavalier with their dogs and the victims always have to put up with it. Two can play this game. If you want to carry a violent breed, I'll carry a violent weapon.
The child entered the yard while the sitter wasn't paying attention. The child then attempted to take a bone away from the dog. Hardly a case of "walking in front of it."

But...I digress. The dog should be put down, simply because it did act violent in that situation. I certainly hope & pray that the child has a full recovery. Killing that particular dog is the only sure way of preventing a similar tragedy.

I just need to clarify something though.

All dogs have a propensity to be vicious; there's no such thing as a violent breed.

It's the amount of damage they can do.

Sorry mods; didn't see the reminder.

Last edited by YAZ; 03-23-2014 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: add

Old 03-23-2014, 03:14 PM

550 posts, read 1,128,785 times
I will NEVER go to a dog park with my dog. It is just too risky. My yard is big enough for my small dog to exercise, and it is fenced. He is fine with my daughter's dogs and any other friend's dog that comes to our house. So I don't see the point of taking a risk to go to a dog park to socialize with dogs of people who don't have a clue of what their dog needs. Some people should not have pets. And you better believe that if another dog is attacking mine, I will defend him, against the dog or the owner.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,080,184 times
I just want to tell everyone how dumb I am. Actually stupid.
I was out and about with my doggies today and stopped at a Chandler dogpark just because there was only one car there and I thought: it must be ok.
As I am walking them into the gated area, this lady says "Wait!" Let me leash my dog before you come in !" So I am alarmed. She leashed the pitbull and takes him into a smaller gated area and says he is " protective" of her other little dog.
Well let me tell you: That pitbull would have ripped my 2 poodle babies to bits. He tried to get at them through the gate and I left hastily and said: YOu need to socialize that dog before you come back here. She admitted that the dog did not do well with other dogs and I said to myself "Boy am I an idiot."

Old 03-23-2014, 09:10 PM

270 posts, read 1,111,016 times
We quit dog park after my husband got bitten by an unfamiliar dog that was fighting with our dog. Our dog was not hurt but my husband needed antibiotics and had to answer questions from Maricopa Animal Control regarding the incident.
We did not know the owner of the other dog nor we asked for their info. Since my husband's wound was not extensive, he just went to the ER and had it treated. So it was surprising and unsettling when we got a call and had to answer a series of questions, especially the part: do you have info of the other party so we could contact them? Because of this experience, it no long is worth going to any dog park.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:55 AM

7,195 posts, read 9,263,398 times
FYI: I heard years ago to separate fighting dogs you grab the hind legs lift them off the ground and pull the dog back. The dog cannot concentrate on fighting when it's hind legs are off the ground.

I am not saying to do this. I have done it only once. It worked that time. But if I had a taser at the time I would have used it instead. Another thing that worked a couple of times was spraying the dogs with water from a garden hose. Can't do that at the dog park.

What I am trying to say is trying to separate fighting dogs by grabbing them around the collar area or body is a losing proposition. Use your head. You won't do anybody including your dog any good by getting mauled. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area