Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:22 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,311,465 times

Advertisements

I would like to find a small dog group that meets in the Deer Valley area. I have found a couple of groups on Meetup.com. but they usually meet in Chandler or near there. That's just too far for me.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,080,184 times
Elle: You could start your own meet up group in your area for small dogs and/or try posting some flyers around (Petsmart, Petco, your neighborhood) to get appropriate responses for small dogs only. After my experience yesterday, I am going on meet up to find a place for my 2 little ones to play.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,311,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Elle: You could start your own meet up group in your area for small dogs and/or try posting some flyers around (Petsmart, Petco, your neighborhood) to get appropriate responses for small dogs only. After my experience yesterday, I am going on meet up to find a place for my 2 little ones to play.
I never thought about doing the flyer thing. Good idea!

I could start my oen meetup group on meetup.com, but I am too cheap to pay the annual fee

Old 03-24-2014, 10:39 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
The child entered the yard while the sitter wasn't paying attention. The child then attempted to take a bone away from the dog. Hardly a case of "walking in front of it."

But...I digress. The dog should be put down, simply because it did act violent in that situation. I certainly hope & pray that the child has a full recovery. Killing that particular dog is the only sure way of preventing a similar tragedy.

I just need to clarify something though.

All dogs have a propensity to be vicious; there's no such thing as a violent breed.

It's the amount of damage they can do.

Sorry mods; didn't see the reminder.
I think if you need a lock on your gate for a pool to protect kids, you also need one for a dog. I've seen many people get attacked at the local dog park, I don't go anymore. Since my puppy has gone I haven't the need but I stopped long before she passed.

I must say I agree with AZRIVER, and all the others who agreed. I'd protect myself , a child, and pup if needed. People need a full course of the "Dog Whisper" to own a dog. I have neighbors with barking non stop pups who seem to want a piece of my arse. I would be afraid to meet them at a dog park, or to have any child I know stumble into their backyard to play with doggie. I'm sure they'd be missing their face if they did.
I don't agree with getting watch dogs, it's too risky. They are alive and you just can't control the outcome.
Most people with aggressive dogs at the park or walking around the neighborhood are just stupid pet owners and I wouldn't trust them to control their dogs around others. You can tell how the dog is walking them they haven't a clue.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:56 AM

261 posts, read 418,946 times
Originally Posted by azriverfan.
Lastly, I don't see anything wrong with the taser let alone a baseball bat or a gun. If another dog attacked me or my dog, I would not hesitate to use any means possible to protect them. If their owner is upset with that, then perhaps they should have been more responsible and trained their dogs better and/or not purchased a violent breed. To be honest, I wish more people carried tasers and other weapons with them when taking walks or being outdoors to keep dog owners honest and force them to keep their dogs on leashes and be responsible with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger427 View Post
There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin so I won't. : smack:
What's "so much wrong" with that post?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:01 PM

270 posts, read 1,111,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
FYI: I heard years ago to separate fighting dogs you grab the hind legs lift them off the ground and pull the dog back. The dog cannot concentrate on fighting when it's hind legs are off the ground.
Hubby told me the charging dog was on the other side of our dog, so he just instinctively reacted and went to grab the collar. I will tell him to keep this advice in mind.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM

19,449 posts, read 27,897,754 times
Just a thought: If you start a little dog park in your backyard, and someone or someone's dog gets hurt, doesn't that leave you open to a liability suit? And isn't THAT gonna get YOUR insurance company a little upset?

I say yes, but I'm not an insurance agent.

We used to take our dog to the dog park when he was younger, but avoided it during the busy hours. And I carried pepper spray. I watched my dog, and the other dogs, like a hawk and was ready to leave the minute I saw any problem behavior.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:38 PM

269 posts, read 535,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Buyer Beware

Lastly, I don't see anything wrong with the taser let alone a baseball bat or a gun. If another dog attacked me or my dog, I would not hesitate to use any means possible to protect them. If their owner is upset with that, then perhaps they should have been more responsible and trained their dogs better and/or not purchased a violent breed. To be honest, I wish more people carried tasers and other weapons with them when taking walks or being outdoors to keep dog owners honest and force them to keep their dogs on leashes and be responsible with them.
You all want to know what's wrong with this post? Well, it's a little thing we call AZ Revised Statutes, a.k.a. "The Law". ARS Title 13, Section 3107, which states that it is illegal to discharge a firearm within or into the limits of any municipality unless, "9. In self-defense or defense of another person against an animal attack if a reasonable person would believe that deadly physical force against the animal is immediately necessary and reasonable under the circumstances to protect oneself or the other person."

You cannot by law use a gun to shoot a dog that is not a threat to human life.

I fully support the right to carry guns, and I have CWP even though it is no longer needed, but you need to understand when you should and when you should not be using it.

Not only the legal aspect, but the possible results of you drawing that gun and shooting at a dog in a public place with most like several or even many people in close proximity, some of which are probably carrying as well (this is AZ). Are you trained on that weapon? What about the gangster that hears the shots and returns fire. What if you shoot at a dog and that owner is carrying and shoots your dog? Now what? What about the safe zone? What else is in your line of fire? Ricochet? Point is, you are not allowed by law to shoot a dog that is fighting with another dog. There needs to be human life at risk.

[too far off topic-- that is for the dog forum]

Last edited by observer53; 03-25-2014 at 01:52 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,607,555 times
I've taken my 2 dogs to 3 of the dog parks in Chandler. No more!

The one off Alma School and Warner is just too big. Too many people just sit around and don't even watch their dogs.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:35 PM

890 posts, read 2,282,564 times
I have been going to the dog park once a week for over a year and have never had any issues with untrained/aggressive dogs. My rescue pup has really come out of his shell thanks to the socialization with many unfamiliar dogs. My smallish dogs do fine even on the "active" side of the park where the big dogs like to play rough and sometimes get into tussles, but when that happens the owners have always been right there to stop it. There was one time a lady brought a dog that wasn't socialized very well and he was picking fights so she leashed him and left right away. At the end of the day dogs are still just animals and I don't expect them to always be on their best behavior just because they are out in public. Fights are going to happen; humans get into fights sometimes and we should know better since we are much more intelligent than dogs. I don't expect dogs to never fight then either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area