Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 12:18 PM

95 posts, read 162,166 times

Advertisements

1. I am thinking of purchasing a single family home now and renting it out in anticipation of moving to Sun City down the road (10 years or so). I would be an absentee landlord from afar. The idea is to lock in today's favorable real estate prices. Does this seem like a good idea? Are there good property managers that would manage the property? Is the demand for rental units strong?

2. Can anyone recommend a good real estate agent that is extremely knowledgeable about the area and would act as a buyer's broker - vigorously protecting the interests of the buyer and not just trying to make a sale? PM me if you would prefer.

3. Where do you see Sun City heading over the next 10 years? Do you think they will be able to maintain their infrastructure at current fees with adjustments for inflation? What changes do you see at Sun City over the next 10 years as the Baby Boomers move in?

4. Where do you see Sun City real estate prices heading in the short and long term?

5. Any general recommendations about buying at Sun City?

Thank you for your assistance.

P.S. Just to clarify, I am only asking about the "Sun City" community and not Sun City West or any other Sun community.

Last edited by Riggo44; 03-26-2014 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 12:41 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Just to be clear, are you talking Sun City or Sun City West?

I am considering SCW, although for living there "now". I am put off by the mini-HOAs there where I cannot find information (specifically about pet policies).

Old 03-26-2014, 12:43 PM

I am referring to Sun City only.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM

75 posts, read 212,869 times
Check out talk of sun city website and ask questions there.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:14 PM

75 posts, read 212,869 times
I pm'd you.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Sun City continues to make the top ten lists as far as affordability and amenities for 55+ folks. We love it here and find the neighborhoods quirky and the inhabitants very friendly. There are more and more younger people heading here and in my opinion, with the economy taking a toll on retirees, this will continue to draw people. I love the clubs and the 60's retro feel to the development. Many of the older homes will need some serious updating but there are plenty that have been fully remodeled. I think values will hold with some of the usual up and down seasonally. Hard to predict what any development will be in 10 years or so, but we do seem to draw plenty of renters.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:32 PM

MotleyCrew:

Thanks for your helpful feedback. Could you give me a general idea of the extent of the updating and cost it would take to bring an older home up-to-date if one used outside contractors? Your recommendations on the best sections/neighborhoods to live in?

Old 08-17-2014, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,159 times
What is your opinion of the area south of Grand Ave. I've only driven on the North side and like it alot. Looking to purchase in the next 6 mos.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:13 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
The southern part of Sun City is nice also. The neighborhoods vary according to home size. My mom has owned a duplex there for 28 years and it is 1700+ square feet. The values went down with the post bubble crash and are now rising again. Duplexes seem to sell fast, possibly because they do have an HOA and many older folks do not want to deal with landscaping issues, especially in the heat. I have a friend who bought a SFH in Sun City and he is responsible for his own yard work. The one thing that bugs me about Sun City yards is the unwillingness of new buyers to update their landscaping. In the past 50 years there have been MANY new easy-care Xeriscape plants introduced to the Phoenix area, as well as newer, more attractive Xeriscape landscaping techniques. I just wish the new buyers would up-date their front yards!
One of the benefits to buying in Sun City rather than farther west, is that it is much closer to employment centers, and many Boomer retires will be working longer due to three important reasons: the high rate of divorce and lower marriage rate among Boomers leads to more single Households=less HH income, pensions have been evaporating and disappearing, and there is a gap between rich and poor that is getting larger and salaries are not rising for many [but not all] people. Many Boomers have lived their adulthoods in a lower standard of living than their parents and that will continue into their retirements.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:24 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona2000 View Post
What is your opinion of the area south of Grand Ave. I've only driven on the North side and like it alot. Looking to purchase in the next 6 mos.

Oldest part of Sun City. A lot of those homes only have 1 bath. Some people have really fixed up those homes, others homes have had nothing done since the 1960's. If you go to the southern border you will see some nice duplexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area