Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:51 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,638,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I did not deny the numbers of old people here - just the myth that Phoenix and Arizona have an outsized proportion of them. Here's another one for you: LA County median age: 34. Maricopa county median age: 33. Pretty close, but certainly flies in the face of the Phoenix is old people myth. BTW, there is a Sun City in Riverside county. Here's more:

California Retirement Communities & Active Adult Communities | 55 Places
I don't know who said that we have an outsized portion of older people. I said that a large part of our growth can be attributed to people retiring here, which is true. BTW, our Sun City is twice as large (not even counting Sun City West) and ours is actually in the metropolitan area. Older people do not flock to LA like they do to Phoenix. It's just a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 04:11 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,752,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Exactly what I came to post...if it does turn into LA I'll be the first one headed somewhere else.
Not a chance of that happening. I agree with an earlier post that said it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Phoenix and LA are very different. In Phoenix, traffic moves while in LA traffic is mostly at a stand-still.
Phoenix traffic can easily be a standstill during crush hour.

Other times it's not too bad but not really congestion-free.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
California might be the state of origin for most transplants here, but I think that if you were to add up transplants from the Midwest that it would far exceed that of California. I cannot tell you how many people I've met here who are originally from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Iowa. I have met far more people from those areas than I have met from California.

You cannot deny that this area has grown rapidly because of relocating retirees. That's just fact. The Sun Cities, Youngtown, and numerous age restricted communities attest to that. The city of Phoenix might be on the young side due to the birth rate, but the metro area as a whole is not young at all. For instance, the median age in Surprise is 46, in Scottsdale the median age is 42, in Sun City it's 75, in Sun City West it's 73, in Sun Lakes it's 69, in Carefree it's 55...

Phoenix is really not like LA at all. Both areas have palm trees and freeways. That's about all we have in common.
There are differences but I think Los Angeles is the major city that comes the closest to being similar to Phoenix.

Mostly because both cities were built on sprawl, Los Angeles seemed to be the poster child for outward expansion for a long time and Phoenix copied Los Angeles on that fact.

Other than their traffic congestion, crime problem, and air quality being worse, Los Angeles is more of an international destination and it has a lot more funpark type of attractions, but that is largely due to how big it is.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,907,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
Is Phoenix the next LA, as far as the growth in that area? Thank you
Do you even have to ask?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,666,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
California might be the state of origin for most transplants here, but I think that if you were to add up transplants from the Midwest that it would far exceed that of California. I cannot tell you how many people I've met here who are originally from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Iowa. I have met far more people from those areas than I have met from California.
Funny, I've been saying this for years.

Sure, there are lots of Californians here in The Valley and Arizona in general, most of whom moved here for the cheaper housing. However, there are noticeably more Midwesterners here than Californians/West Coasters.

Don't forget that California is the state of origin of most transplants in Arizona because it's the most populous state in the country and it's only next door. However, the buck stops there because California is pretty much the only populous state in the West, save, perhaps, Washington.

OTOH, the Midwest is very populous region. States like Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, and Missouri range in population from 6 to 13 million residents and are hemorrhaging residents at a much faster rate than CA/OR/WA.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 PM

68 posts, read 110,355 times
Interesting article (recent) on Arizona demographics http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21599804-anatomy-strange-state-saner-it-looks

Old 04-09-2014, 12:04 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,736,186 times
As others have said, it is way more like the Inland Empire than LA. I'm here for the nature outside of my livelihood as opposed to the so called "urban culture" that I care little about. I'm a desert rat and a beach bum and gratefully have access to both any given weekend. For those who care about urban culture, this area is miles behind more mature cities like LA. The Italian and Greek scene is very lacking here for food. Fortunately my wife and I drive out to Globe to our favorite Italian spot called DeMarco's which measures up well to what I had when I lived in NY. Plus I get my open desert fix enjoying some great scenery.

I sense that transplants take their native interests in sports teams here and that has created largely a mediocre professional sports scene. LA on the otherhand has teams with far deeper roots and you never have to worry about being outnumbered at a Dodgers game. Seems Dbacks games often have more Giants and Dodgers fans attending. This is from a team that won a WS 4 years into their existence. Maybe people were spoiled and are rejecting the product these days through their penny pinching payroll and overall mediocrity. Colangelo was the only one who truly spent to win. I do like Steve Keim's attitude as GM with the Cards though. Seems like a no nonsense aggressive type, the ANTI Kevin Towers if you will.

As far as bad drivers go, the ones that are idiots on the 101 when I commute between Tempe and Scottsdale are largely caucasians it seems. Probably transplants from who knows where. Just seems many are too lazy to turn their heads to check for blindspots which further aggravates the not using turn signals theme we all see as well. LA is just a nightmare for construction OTOH. The 405 near LAX is one construction zone after the other and the roads are largely concrete and bumpy.People have no choice but to drive slower and more cautiously. I am grateful for such smooth easy drives on our Loops and Interstates thanks to a government that hasn't overspent to neglect infrastructure like CA and NY. That comes with a price as I said before. Some people drive like idiots at 85 MPH not fearing potholes or major construction zones.

My passion for being a Zonie is the perfect mix of caucasian, mexican and native american culture. Something more prevalent in the smaller communities outside The Valley. LA and SD are great spots to visit, especially SD, but to have reasonable cost of living and have freedom, I will stay in Arizona longterm despite my love for the Pacific.Yeah, Imperial Valley and Coachella Valley are quite similar to Arizona but you have California taxes and politics even in those desert communities.

Last edited by magnum0417; 04-09-2014 at 12:16 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,033,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
Is Phoenix the next LA, as far as the growth in that area? Thank you
Probably not, but we're doing a good job emulating the look and feel of SoCal. And at over 4.5 million people in this valley, it feels like a metropolis. I was eating on the patio at In n Out a few days ago and it was beautiful out. The weather was perfect, palm trees blowing in the dry breeze, and it felt just like I was hanging out at the beach in San Diego. Yes I know, there is no ocean, but at least here my family owns a house, we're shielded from the continuously raised cost of rent.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,625,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
though the fear that "Phoenix will become LA" has been around for decades, they are actually very different from each other in many ways and never will compare....

for one thing, Phoenicians can learn a thing or three from LA drivers, believe it or not....the notorious freeways and heavy traffic of LA have actually forced drivers in LA to a certain mild level of aggressiveness, so everybody knows the score and acts accordingly....traffic flows in an orderly way (except for the rare and obvious solo hotshot), drivers respect each other, stop at red lights, wait for pedestrians (generally).....major LA freeway construction was already completed by the early 1990s with the completion of the Century Freeway I-105 E of LAX and the entire system is a model of efficiency, considering the enormous number of cars on the road

I believe Phx drivers are much derided because of a wide variety of driving habits brought here from other places by the highly transient population.....traffic here isn't tough enough to require drivers to adhere to a "standard" driving style
spot on, good post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area