Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:38 PM

563 posts, read 1,791,228 times

Advertisements

Tempe or old town Scottsdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 AM

30 posts, read 47,752 times
Finally made it out for a visit to start scoping out places and I would rank the neighborhoods I saw (from most to least):
1. Tempe--seemed the most like a city; lots of density, people were out riding bikes, walking on sidewalks, in the park near the water, etc. Seemed pretty walkable and/or bikeable for day-to-day living.
2. Central/Old Town Scottsdale--Second to Tempe for the city-vibe, seemed like there was plenty to do but the crowd skewed a little older than us
3. "City Scape" in North Phoenix--not really a "neighborhood" but I liked the mixed use buildings (retail on ground level and residential above). Not really sure I liked the suits/dresses/high heels/made-up vibe of it though. My partner and I would definitely not fit in with that sort of crowd.
4. Arcadia/Biltmore: Grocery stores nearby! The greenery was nice, too.
5. Central Phoenix/Midtown: Whomp whomp. Not what I was expecting/hoping for.

I found it very interesting that there was almost no residential space at all in "downtown" Phoenix and that the downtown corridor itself was very small given the large population of the PHX metro area. It was definitely not what I was expecting, which was kind of a bummer because I was hoping that area would fit the bill. I got a chance to see what a previous commenter meant about the lack of apartment "buildings" vs. complexes, too.

Any suggestions for apartments in the Tempe area for the slightly older than college crowd that would still be very close to Mill Ave? Or Central/Old Town Scottsdale? After some further number crunching we are probably looking to keep rent <$1200/month (we're open to 1x1 or, 2x1, or 2x2).

Old 04-24-2014, 06:20 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,499,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncorgi View Post
Finally made it out for a visit to start scoping out places and I would rank the neighborhoods I saw (from most to least):
1. Tempe--seemed the most like a city; lots of density, people were out riding bikes, walking on sidewalks, in the park near the water, etc. Seemed pretty walkable and/or bikeable for day-to-day living.
2. Central/Old Town Scottsdale--Second to Tempe for the city-vibe, seemed like there was plenty to do but the crowd skewed a little older than us
3. "City Scape" in North Phoenix--not really a "neighborhood" but I liked the mixed use buildings (retail on ground level and residential above). Not really sure I liked the suits/dresses/high heels/made-up vibe of it though. My partner and I would definitely not fit in with that sort of crowd.
4. Arcadia/Biltmore: Grocery stores nearby! The greenery was nice, too.
5. Central Phoenix/Midtown: Whomp whomp. Not what I was expecting/hoping for.

I found it very interesting that there was almost no residential space at all in "downtown" Phoenix and that the downtown corridor itself was very small given the large population of the PHX metro area. It was definitely not what I was expecting, which was kind of a bummer because I was hoping that area would fit the bill. I got a chance to see what a previous commenter meant about the lack of apartment "buildings" vs. complexes, too.

Any suggestions for apartments in the Tempe area for the slightly older than college crowd that would still be very close to Mill Ave? Or Central/Old Town Scottsdale? After some further number crunching we are probably looking to keep rent <$1200/month (we're open to 1x1 or, 2x1, or 2x2).

Being "very close" to Mill Ave and wanting a "slightly older than college crowd" may be a little tough to do. That's why renting a house, if you can swing it, might be better, as the apartment complexes are going to skew pretty young the closer you get to Mill. By "very close" do you mean walk there, or ride a bus or drive a few miles?

Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 AM

Walk there. I think we would be willing to live with a younger crowd if it meant being closer in to where everything is. My main concern is more one of noisy neighbors (though that can happen anywhere, I guess). I don't mind (and actually like) ambient city noise; but I often have to get up very early for work and don't want my neighbor blasting music or having a party in the middle of the night during the work week.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:43 AM

601 posts, read 757,546 times
I'd encourage you to take a second look at downtown, but look at the Roosevelt/Garfield district just a few blocks north the main 'downtown' area. IMO this area is slowly but steadily turning into a urban young neighborhood, but it's still in the stages of gentrifying. I don't know what to compare it to, but...imagine a neighborhood in Seattle that's hip now, but was a dump 15 years ago? It's like that, and this place is at year 7 or 8.

I grew up in Phoenix, but my spouse and I moved from Phoenix last year and have been enjoying a much more urban environment in Los Angeles. We came back to visit a friend in the Roosevelt area semi-reccently, I felt like that area was becoming the closest thing to a walkable/real neighborhood in Phoenix. (I haven't been to Tempe in a long time though, so I can't compare.)

Old 04-24-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
I'd encourage you to take a second look at downtown, but look at the Roosevelt/Garfield district just a few blocks north the main 'downtown' area. IMO this area is slowly but steadily turning into a urban young neighborhood, but it's still in the stages of gentrifying. I don't know what to compare it to, but...imagine a neighborhood in Seattle that's hip now, but was a dump 15 years ago? It's like that, and this place is at year 7 or 8.

I grew up in Phoenix, but my spouse and I moved from Phoenix last year and have been enjoying a much more urban environment in Los Angeles. We came back to visit a friend in the Roosevelt area semi-reccently, I felt like that area was becoming the closest thing to a walkable/real neighborhood in Phoenix. (I haven't been to Tempe in a long time though, so I can't compare.)
We spent about an hour driving all over the downtown Phoenix area, and it all just kind of seemed like a giant suburb? Not really sure that's where we want to land, but we will definitely give it another look once we are down there for good and have more time to look around and get to know the areas better.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:25 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,014,835 times
Quote:
There's an abundance of residential buildings "downtown". I live in one. There's places going up all over the place.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,683,416 times
Quote:
We spent about an hour driving all over the downtown Phoenix area, and it all just kind of seemed like a giant suburb? Not really sure that's where we want to land, but we will definitely give it another look once we are down there for good and have more time to look around and get to know the areas better.
I think going to a First Friday would make you reconsider downtown, specifically in or near the Roosevelt Row area. You really get a feel for the hipster, artsy, progressive vibe in that area. That area is very walkable to really great restaurants and bars and has a lot going on. I can't recommend any specific buildings (sorry) but I was really impressed with that area and got a taste of the urban side of Phoenix that before I hadn't really felt and was missing.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I think going to a First Friday would make you reconsider downtown, specifically in or near the Roosevelt Row area. You really get a feel for the hipster, artsy, progressive vibe in that area. That area is very walkable to really great restaurants and bars and has a lot going on. I can't recommend any specific buildings (sorry) but I was really impressed with that area and got a taste of the urban side of Phoenix that before I hadn't really felt and was missing.
I did go to a First Friday in the area once about 8 months ago and it was nice (if limited compared to Seattle's equivalent "First Thursday").
We will have temporary housing when we arrive and plan on taking 1-3 months to really settle in and pick an area that we like before committing to a lease. This will gives us lots of time to get to know the neighborhoods, so hopefully I'll see something I missed before. Fingers crossed Phoenix can show some colors as a true urban city more than 1x/month! Otherwise it's gonna be a long year (at least).

Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM

601 posts, read 757,546 times
Well, the problem is...no what what area you pick, you really can't put "true urban city" and "Phoenix" in the same sentence, because realistically, it just isn't.

I think we're all trying to suggest some areas we think are as close as you're gonna get to what you're looking for, but what you're actually looking for doesn't really exist there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area