Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:15 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

After several such posts as the OP, I've come to the conclusion that the people of Phoenix have an inferiority complex of sorts, and will grasp at almost any straw to show what a good city they have.

I'm not doubting it's a good city (despite all the negatives I read about on this thread), but geez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 02:19 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
After several such posts as the OP, I've come to the conclusion that the people of Phoenix have an inferiority complex of sorts, and will grasp at almost any straw to show what a good city they have.

I'm not doubting it's a good city (despite all the negatives I read about on this thread), but geez.
Yeah. It couldn't be civic pride. No, it has to be an "inferiority complex of sorts". I think they just want to share the good things they know about their town that they see reflected in the media.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yeah. It couldn't be civic pride. No, it has to be an "inferiority complex of sorts". I think they just want to share the good things they know about their town that they see reflected in the media.
I guess I can understand that point, but considering that it is the 6th largest U.S. city, but is coming in 21st as a place people want to travel to in the country, how exactly is that a feather in the cap?

Old 04-10-2014, 02:26 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
Quote:

I think it is to make all you people jealous that are from other parts of the country that daydream about living in Phoenix as you follow our forum.

Last edited by LBTRS; 04-10-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 02:40 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
I guess I can understand that point, but considering that it is the 6th largest U.S. city, but is coming in 21st as a place people want to travel to in the country, how exactly is that a feather in the cap?
I don't think size matters as much as people's perception of things to do - like Branson, MO or LasVegas or Orlando. I don't see Philly on the list at all. Or Denver for that matter. I am actually surprised that PHX is held in such high regard given we have nothing in particular to attract people like the history or the amusements of many places. We got sunshine, though. Lots of sunshine.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:55 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
I think there's a pride element (I like bragging about my adopted hometown), but also some posters have a vested interest in painting the area as one that's as a close to perfection as possible. Posts like these need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I think there's a pride element (I like bragging about my adopted hometown), but also some posters have a vested interest in painting the area as one that's as a close to perfection as possible. Posts like these need to be taken with a grain of salt.
As do the ones that have NOTHING positive to say.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't think size matters as much as people's perception of things to do - like Branson, MO or LasVegas or Orlando. I don't see Philly on the list at all. Or Denver for that matter. I am actually surprised that PHX is held in such high regard given we have nothing in particular to attract people like the history or the amusements of many places. We got sunshine, though. Lots of sunshine.
Now that's a realistic statement, IMHO.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, the overly negative and overly positive, both with a grain of salt. The truth lies somewhere in between.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:46 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
I don't know about you but it makes me happy to see people who are still in the 'honeymoon' phase of living in Phoenix. In Arizona, period. To their way of thinking it IS nearly perfect, for them. Heck, even some of us old...and older...timers still like the place a lot.

People should take those posts just as they are...someone's opinion and personal perception. OTOH it is perfectly fine for the dissenters to state their opinions and perceptions. No skin off anyone's nose...although I have to admit it sometimes irritates me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area