Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,736,242 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, it's not "hot" until 105+. I'm one of the wackos who is out running on trails in the preserves at over 100. As long as the mercury isn't 105 when I start, I'm going. Some people shy away from the heat, but the heat is very manageable if you condition yourself for it.

In my opinion, there are a few days a year when the temperature is too hot to do anything. Those days may seem to be problematic during the hottest weather, but will quickly be forgtten once temperatures begin to decrease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 4,699 times
I came from warm and hot Hong Kong and than now have spent 36 winters in the USA in the Northern regions, sick beyond belief of winter. So PHX with its summers seem enticing with the rewarding winters. I am going to visit the valley of the sun and see if I want to live there someday.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 PM

51 posts, read 118,101 times
I've lived in Phoenix my whole life. I've never gotten used to the heat. It's miserable. There's no way to let kids play outside without putting a thick layer of sun lotion on them and keeping them away from sidewalks. A trip and fall on a sidewalk in Phoenix could = serious burns to the skin. I've heard some kids getting 2nd degree burns from the sidewalks. Night time is fine since the Sun is gone, but even at around midnight in Phoenix it's still around 90 degrees outside.

I've had enough, doing what I can to move my family to cooler temps next month.

Sidewalk temperatures during very hot weather can reach from 130 to 180 degrees. That includes pavement, pool decks and playground flooring.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:18 AM

5 posts, read 4,699 times
Coming from Seattle the above sounds like Science Fiction, we call it a heat wave at 80 degrees.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:06 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,907,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMacaroni View Post
I've lived in Phoenix my whole life. I've never gotten used to the heat. It's miserable. There's no way to let kids play outside without putting a thick layer of sun lotion on them and keeping them away from sidewalks. A trip and fall on a sidewalk in Phoenix could = serious burns to the skin. I've heard some kids getting 2nd degree burns from the sidewalks. Night time is fine since the Sun is gone, but even at around midnight in Phoenix it's still around 90 degrees outside.

Sidewalk temperatures during very hot weather can reach from 130 to 180 degrees. That includes pavement, pool decks and playground flooring.
Yeah, if the kid's paralyzed. I played outside all summer every summer with all the other kids from the neighborhood and we usually were having too much fun to ever think it was too hot to ride bikes or swim or whatnot. Yes, we'd sit in the shade a lot, kids who grow up in blizzards adjust accordingly too.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 AM

7,236 posts, read 9,318,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMacaroni View Post

Your post reminded me of my childhood in Casa Grande in the 60s. My Mom would often tell us kids to go outside because we needed some sunshine in the summer. What she really meant was she needed to clean the house and we were driving her crazy. The temp was well over 100 F. No sun lotion, just T-shirts & shorts.

No she wasn't being cruel. She did keep an eye on us. She would be there suddenly when we fell out of the tree or were thinking about playing in the street. We were fine.

All the same I wish you well with your move.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 AM

39,149 posts, read 51,440,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Yeah, if the kid's paralyzed. I played outside all summer every summer with all the other kids from the neighborhood and we usually were having too much fun to ever think it was too hot to ride bikes or swim or whatnot. Yes, we'd sit in the shade a lot, kids who grow up in blizzards adjust accordingly too.
My kids, natives, did too. Summer heat never got in the way of what they wanted to do, though it often involved the pool or running in the sprinklers etc. There are other activities too that are indoor that kids go to like bounce places.

We went camping, trout fishing, a lot in the mountains of northern AZ. We went to the beach at San Diego. I own a ski boat and we do watersports at Lake Pleasant. We rode paddleboats and the kids learned to sail small boats at our development lake. At least two weeks of every summer were spent going east to visit relatives. Then we had the whole winter to do things in the desert like shooting and riding quads. They played t-ball, soccer, swim team and did sports in high school. I don't think kids here are cheated out of anything. Except snow days!

Old 04-15-2014, 09:09 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,345,654 times
Something I learned real quick is to turn your flip flops over when you get in the pool. Sounds dumb, but if you leave them right side up, they will burn your feet when you put them back on!

Also, be careful about saying you are looking forward to summer on here until you have lived through 30 summers. You will be put in your place for being new and not knowing what you are asking for

Last edited by ElleTea; 04-15-2014 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 AM

487 posts, read 751,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Something I learned real quick is to tuen your flip flops over when you get in the pool. Sounds dumb, but if you leave them right side up, they will burn your feet when you put them back on!

Also, be careful about saying you are looking forward to summer on here until you have lived through 30 summers. You will be put in your place for being new and not knowing what you are asking for
Good tip - but if I wait for 30 more summers before saying I like summer, I'll be saying it from "the home" and who would listen to me?

Old 04-15-2014, 04:45 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,068,295 times
When you go to the grocery store, you'll feel the intense heat radiating from the asphalt in the parking lot. Then, once inside the store, you'll often feel the need for a sweater! They keep the stores very cool.

Last edited by AZ Tracy; 04-15-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area