Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:36 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
This will be my fourth summer here and I have absolutely no problems whatsoever dealing with the summer heat. First and foremost, I love water. I'm in the pool or at the lake if at all possible.
The thing that makes it so easy for me to not only tolerate the summer heat, but actually look forward to it and enjoy it is one simple thing. Remembering how cold and miserable I was living on the coast of Oregon. I've never felt so cold and bored in my life. Constant rain, howling wind and rarely a day over 65 even in the best of summers.
Is it perfect here? No, not by a long shot but for my money, I wouldn't live anywhere else at this point in my life.
Is it hot here? You betcha but compared to the severe weather of other places, I'll adjust to a little heat here. My lifestyle is far, FAR superior to what it was in the Pacific Northwest.
A couple of things about the heat.
You don't shovel it.
You can easily get out of it via a short drive to Flagstaff and other places.
Cars and equipment last longer here in the dry heat.
It's much easier to cool off than to warm up. At least for me.
Hot? Jump in the pool. INSTANT GRATIFICATION.
There are a lot more that I won't bore you with here but hopefully you get where I'm coming from.
You folks that long for that "cooler" weather? Have at it. I had 25 years of it and I never, EVER want to experience that again in the long term.
You won't hear me complaining about the heat much. My memories of how miserable I was in the PNW will make sure of that.
Well-written except for one point.

Cars and equipment don't last longer in the dry heat, in fact the dry heat is very hard on car parts.

Brakes, tires, hoses, and especially batteries wear out much sooner in this climate than in cooler climates.

The dreaded sub-freezing winters east and north of here can be hard on vehicles too but it seems like I have to replace batteries, tires, and hoses more often here than when I lived in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,648,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Well-written except for one point.

Cars and equipment don't last longer in the dry heat, in fact the dry heat is very hard on car parts.

Brakes, tires, hoses, and especially batteries wear out much sooner in this climate than in cooler climates.

The dreaded sub-freezing winters east and north of here can be hard on vehicles too but it seems like I have to replace batteries, tires, and hoses more often here than when I lived in Michigan.
Cars do last longer here. The metal doesnt rust and electrical connections dont corrode. I will however agree that batteries, hoses, windshield wipers and such must be replaced more often but the vehicles as a whole last much longer ln the dry weather.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:02 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,347,454 times
Auto AC, Clear coat on paint, and automatic transmission's take a beating here in the summer. Look around next time you are parked with a lot of cars lots of hoods, and roofs the clear coat is damaged looks like white dried stuff. Automatic transmissions get overheated and burn the fluid up when they aren't serviced once a year like they should be. Typical service intervals for fluid flush is not enough for the high temps here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area