Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:02 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,961,207 times

Advertisements

Craigslist is dead. The new hotness is Swip Swap on Facebook, go that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 08:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,676,347 times
I wouldn't buy a used couch due to bedbugs, pet hair/dander, smells and just overall gross factor. I think it's what you're trying to sell, not so much how you're trying to sell it.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:34 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,625,064 times
A lot of Craigslist & Facebook (or any other website you may use) also has to do with how your particular item is photographed. Some of the items look like they're about ready for the dumpster, because they weren't properly depicted in a photo!

It wouldn't hurt to take more than just one view of anything (eg: front, side & back views). Give measurements as well, such as height, width & depth. Be creative & informative in your write-up, and be reasonable with your pricing.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:55 AM

572 posts, read 1,686,477 times
we just listed a loveseat not too long ago on CL, and it sold within 24 hours. Whatever you paid for it, subtract at least half (if you bought it used) or 75% (if new). Don't expect to get more than that. We bought ours for 200 and sold it for 100. Take photos. And good ones. Be reasonable. Honestly, form what I hear, you are either listing it for way too much money, or the photos are crap. Or you are misposting it somehow. You mentioned that you've been trying to sell it for over a year now? Honestly, I'd cut my losses and have goodwill come and get it for free.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:12 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,738,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I wouldn't buy a used couch due to bedbugs, pet hair/dander, smells and just overall gross factor. I think it's what you're trying to sell, not so much how you're trying to sell it.
This.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:38 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,962,386 times
Happs, send me the link and I can probably tell you why it isn't selling. I have sold tons of furniture on Craigslist and its usually gone within 24 hours at asking price.

People have crazy expectations when it comes to pricing their junk on Craigslist. I wouldn't go off other peoples prices. No used furniture should be priced over $100-$150 no matter how much you paid for it unless its antique or rare.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:45 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,543,879 times
I won't buy due to the fear of bedbugs, roach eggs, etc either. I used to be the A #1 thrift/used buyer, as there are a lot of ads for good quality furniture (at least there is where i'm located). I recently bought a home and perused CL just to see what was out there and it was tempting as hell. But due to the constant news stories regarding bedbugs, etc now i'm scared to buy as well.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:30 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,235,342 times
Well the couch finally sold after a year, but now I have to sell two other couches (one I inherited, the other I have personally owned). I am not in the furniture business and I don't look forward to selling or buying couches. The previous love seat sold for $100, but these two couches (one leather and one fabric) are worth more (I would say around $400-$500) and I haven't had any responses even with an attractive price, good write-up and pictures. Is May a bad month to sell furniture, or do people not have around $400 to spend on a couch or does it take longer for over $100 items to sell on Craigslist?

Old 05-17-2015, 04:54 PM

127 posts, read 195,802 times
I do reselling as a hobby and I can tell you couches are hard to sell, unless they are brand name in mint condition. I would say 80% of furniture sold in any city is done through financing. This is the main reason why stores charge $400+ for a mediocre couch. And the worst part is that people buy it! and don't mind making the monthly payments... Couches are heavy, require 2 people to lift and a pick up. I come across couches all the time and they are simply not worth it. This is one of those items that are thrown out in a move because they're too bulky. Unless it's a high quality, brand name couch, it's just not worth the work. Most couches will only sell between $50-$200. $200 being a full set. Any stains or wear, just throw it out. People like nice looking stuff and since even the lowest income people have financing available, it makes it even harder.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:19 PM

784 posts, read 925,033 times
Try offer up Phoenix....

https://offerupnow.com

After getting new appliances and a new bed for the master we sold every used item on offer up....we got our asking price with multiple offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area