Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:15 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times

Advertisements

I am planning my birthday weekend and wonder which if these areas would be a better place to go?

A friend is coming to town for the weekend and we want to go out. In the past we have spent time in las Vegas and love the atmosphere of Fremont Street. I am looking for someplace lively and fun where we can walk from place to place. Live music would be a plus.

I've been to Old Town just for an afternoon of shopping, and have not been to Mill Ave at all.

Thoughts and experiences about both? Or do you have a better idea?

Old 04-15-2014, 01:28 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,724 times
Not sure what age group you will be going out with. Mill is much more of the College crowd. Every bar is very walkable from one to the next, and a decent amount of diversity.

Old Town, instead of college students is full of pretentious people and 30,000 dollar millionaires lol. Although, it is improving everytime I go out there. (and i'm not meaning to imply everyone there is that way, its just a vibe i get at times) It's been a while since I've been to old town, as I moved away for a few years and just came back last year. Apparently a lot of the bars have changed. Before, when we would frequent the area there would be clusters of 2-4 bars that were walkable, and then it's quite a jaunt to another cluster. But there is all kinds of things to do and see right in old town.

I'd say Old Town would offer a better experience in relation to Fremont Street, but it will still not be nearly the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 01:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Mill will have a lot more college kids but I don't think that it's so overrun with them that you can't have a fun adult night out. It's certainly more walkable than Old Town since it's far more condensed.

My recommendation would be Old Town though. Have a pre-dinner martini at AZ/88. Do dinner at The Mission (make a reservation ASAP and ask for their back patio), catch a golf cart (free except for the tip) over to Mabel's on Main for a nice, swanky cocktail and then depending on what you're into, maybe The Western (Small, lively country bar but hip. Same owners as The Vig) or maybe Kelly's at Southbridge or Kazimierz. If you're looking to party it up and dance you could hit one of the clubs. The lounge at the W is nice too. No matter where you go, you'll find others whooping it up with you. Have fun!

Somehow I skipped the live music thing although The Western does have live music. The Rusty Spur and Old Town Tavern will too.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 04-15-2014 at 01:46 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 01:45 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
We hung out on Mill Ave for dinner and drinks one weekend night and it was way too young of a crowd for us. We would not do it again.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:54 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,724 times
Don't forget to go to the Sugarbowl at some point for amazing icecream and a step back in time

Old 04-15-2014, 02:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Save Mill Ave for an early summer evening, when the student crowds are basically gone and the restaurants and shops will really appreciate your business. Do Old Town.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:52 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Hmmm...martinis and swanky cocktails are not really my speed. Definitely not looking for country music of any kind. I am more of a beer/margarita and rock n roll type of gal. Can I get that in Old Town?

I question Old Town because of the shopping experience I had there. It was fun, but more of an "old people" fun. I have no clue what the nightlife is like there.

I appreciate all input! Thanks!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:57 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,338 times
There is NOTHING in the Phoenix Valley that compares to Fremont Street. We don't even get the good pan-handlers. Check Phoenix Phoenix News and Events | Phoenix New Times for whats happening every week.

Partying in Tempe is for college age children and amateurs. The clubs in Scottsdale attract a bit older crowd - not necessarily more mature. Check out the hotels near Old Town - on the weekends, many have pool parties for non-guests with a DJ, drink specials, etc. that can be a wild day of sun & fun (Valley Ho, Biltmore, Hilton).

Whatever you do - do not drink and drive.

Have a transportation plan and have fun!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:07 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Mill Ave is not all college students. House of Tricks, Caffe Boa and Monti's La Casa Vieja are all worth checking out and are not geared to the beer bong set. There's plenty of good places in Old Town too.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:25 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Hmmm...martinis and swanky cocktails are not really my speed. Definitely not looking for country music of any kind. I am more of a beer/margarita and rock n roll type of gal. Can I get that in Old Town?

I question Old Town because of the shopping experience I had there. It was fun, but more of an "old people" fun. I have no clue what the nightlife is like there.

I appreciate all input! Thanks!
Hmm OK. Revised itinerary: Dinner at Distrito (not as good as The Mission but a bit more casual. Solid margs.). Cien Agaves is even more casual and less good (LOL) but not gross and it's a fun spot. El Hefe would definitely meet your beer/margarita rock n roll type too. I can't recommend the new Salty Senorita as I had bad experience there but it's another casual hot spot for Mexican-ish dinner and drinks. Pick one of those for dinner and boozing. You could then hit Shotgun Betty's (loud rock, a little raunchy, fun spot), Rockbar (usually has a band) and Gilligan's (little people bar, bizarre, crazy spot but fun).

I'd still recommend Old Town Tavern and the Rusty Spur (depends on the band as it's sometimes country but sometimes some really great classic rock covers) for a one drink stop at each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area