Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 04:38 PM

546 posts, read 548,193 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have both noticed in thinking back over the last couple of months, that there seems to be a lack of birds. We live in NE Mesa, but there has always been a good amount of birds in the trees and flying around the neighborhood. I'm a bit hard of hearing, so the chirping wouldn't be noticed by me, but my wife notices a difference. But one sound I have missed and that I CAN hear, is the chattering of the Mockingbirds in the spring, and this year I don't recall hearing a single one, and I've only seen a few in flight around here. Has anyone else noticed this, or maybe this is a neighborhood thing. We live near 2 golf courses, and the Salt River, along with it's flora and fauna are close by, so I have my doubts that it is the area we live in that is chasing them off. I also purposely watched for birds as I drove around for a while this morning, but there were few to be found. Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,244,105 times
Haven't noticed that here...matter of fact, give me your address and I'll hand deliver some of the pigeons that roost on my roof so you can enjoy the "birds" again.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:20 PM

9,542 posts, read 16,557,558 times
I don't live there now, but those quails were ridiculous. They were building nests in anything and everything on the patio. The sound of their constant flying from the ground up to the roof, was like a giant fan. I don't remember really seeing other types of birds all that much in Arizona. Though I'm sure they were there.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 PM

3,825 posts, read 9,496,407 times
On my side of town it's all about the sparrows. Even though I live about a mile and a half from a wetlands area full of bird diversity, all I see are sparrows. Have a couple of bird feeders and one attracts the sparrows and the other the occasional hummingbird. But I guess it's better than the woodpeckers I had when I lived in north central Phoenix. They kept putting holes in the side of my house and pulling out insulation.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,007,507 times
My car must follow the path of the only birds in the Valley.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:02 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,634,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post
My wife and I have both noticed in thinking back over the last couple of months, that there seems to be a lack of birds. We live in NE Mesa, but there has always been a good amount of birds in the trees and flying around the neighborhood. I'm a bit hard of hearing, so the chirping wouldn't be noticed by me, but my wife notices a difference. But one sound I have missed and that I CAN hear, is the chattering of the Mockingbirds in the spring, and this year I don't recall hearing a single one, and I've only seen a few in flight around here. Has anyone else noticed this, or maybe this is a neighborhood thing. We live near 2 golf courses, and the Salt River, along with it's flora and fauna are close by, so I have my doubts that it is the area we live in that is chasing them off. I also purposely watched for birds as I drove around for a while this morning, but there were few to be found. Comments?
I have seen no shortage of bids here. This winter I experienced massive flocks of black birds in the ficus trees of a neighboring property, especially in the afternoon. I also had a near daily visit on my porch by a hummingbird. I have a friend in the West Valley who has a tremendous problem with pigeons who use his walkway and roof as a bathroom. I also find my car splattered with bird poop at least 1-2 times weekly. You must be lucky.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,674,693 times
We have a surplus. Please come to north Scottsdale and take as many as you'd like. We have these doves everywhere that make this really loud cooing sound all day (I originally thought it was owls), giant crows that squawk like crazy, woodpeckers everywhere and quails pooping all over block walls. I was actually just talking with a neighbor and we both agreed that there are tons of birds around this year. DM for my address and come with a large net.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 PM

546 posts, read 548,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I have seen no shortage of bids here. This winter I experienced massive flocks of black birds in the ficus trees of a neighboring property, especially in the afternoon. I also had a near daily visit on my porch by a hummingbird. I have a friend in the West Valley who has a tremendous problem with pigeons who use his walkway and roof as a bathroom. I also find my car splattered with bird poop at least 1-2 times weekly. You must be lucky.
Well, that's good to hear that it's just a thing that may be happening here. As far as pigeons go, you can keep them! Maybe it's the vapors from the meth labs that I heard are in the neighborhood! No evidence for sure though! LOL! In my little 5 mile ride today, I saw 1 blackbird and a sparrow. That was it. I did see some late-leaving snowbirds though! An Arkansonian and a Saskatchetonian!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 AM

44,661 posts, read 61,736,984 times
Birds galore here, especially pigeons, and we also have mockingbirds, owls, ravens and a few other species like geese, ducks, swans, hummingbirds, etal.
Driving down the road the other day someone tried to give me a bird so I see no shortages around town.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:09 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,213,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Birds galore here, especially pigeons, and we also have mockingbirds, owls, ravens and a few other species like geese, ducks, swans, hummingbirds, etal.
Driving down the road the other day someone tried to give me a bird so I see no shortages around town.
Too funny^^!

In our neighborhood (home of 14 parks and tons of trees) there are more birds here than I see in MN. In AZ, you don't need a bird feeder to attract them. In AZ, birds want water. My wife loves to watch birds so we left our fountain on. Humming birds galore are landing and bathing themselves in the bubbling water. Way cool! Now the sparrows and mocking birds have figured it out. Inside of a month, I had to turn off the water. Birds==bird poop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area