Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 04:24 PM

19,464 posts, read 27,972,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
... and if it hadn't been moved in the first place, it would probably still be alive. I would wager that hundreds of saguaros die weekly due to human disturbance. Relocating a cacti can have secondary effects just as severe as initially cutting it down and slicing it up.
Fair enough. I guess no homes should have ever been built in the desert unless they could incorporate every standing cactus into the landscaping?

Old 05-23-2014, 04:49 PM

39,127 posts, read 51,411,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
That appears to have been watered and is probably the reason it fell over? My buddy had one in his yard that he watered and it got huge very quickly. His fell over also. They get too big and the roots don't have to grow deep, since all the water is on the surface, so they topple is what I've heard. Though, I thought I also read that they don't have deep roots to begin with.
I think some of the problem is that people transplant them into soft soils in the valley floors. Saguaros are pretty much confined to rocky slopes naturally where their roots can get down into rocks and fissures in the rocks. When you put them in a cotton field and apply rain to make mud and wind, they are not anchored well and fall over. To make matters worse, the roots are chopped off when they are transplanted and probably never grow back enough to anchor them properly.

I see a lot of saguaros in people's landscapes that are leaning badly too. The growth is uneven with most of the arms on one side causing an imbalance.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:59 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,157,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think some of the problem is that people transplant them into soft soils in the valley floors. Saguaros are pretty much confined to rocky slopes naturally where their roots can get down into rocks and fissures in the rocks. When you put them in a cotton field and apply rain to make mud and wind, they are not anchored well and fall over. To make matters worse, the roots are chopped off when they are transplanted and probably never grow back enough to anchor them properly.

I see a lot of saguaros in people's landscapes that are leaning badly too. The growth is uneven with most of the arms on one side causing an imbalance.
I believe you are right on all counts

Quote:
The root system of a saguaro is very shallow. There is a tap root that is only about three feet long. Smaller roots are longer, radiating out and adding stability to the saguaro by wrapping themselves around rocks. You can see a picture of the roots of a full-grown saguaro here.
SOURCE

Just my opinion but it looks like they planted the cactus 4 feet deep for stability. Just my opinion, while that might hole for a good many years I think that deep will eventually cause the buried portion of the trunk to eventually rot and then it falls over. Just a guess. But the Saquaro is very shallow rooted in nature with a very large area of fribrous roots just below the suface. It is designed to grow in hard rocy soil and depend upon infrequent rains to water the fibrous close to surface roots.

I wonder if anyone knows of any transplanted ones that have lived over 50 years?

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 05-23-2014 at 05:11 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 07:05 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,720,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I am sorry but I don't see why we have to preserve every single stupid saguarto cactus in this state. There are a gazillion of them and it will probably grow another "arm" so why take some poor teen to jail just because he did this deed. Jail should be for criminals, not teenagers, in my opinion. Just another example of the way some people in Scottsdale think. JMH good for nothin O...
It's a police state full of 40 and older somethings. Hypocrites and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Outrageous and arrogant disrespect for Mother Nature and/or the property of others.

If this Teen is not severely criminally prosecuted now . . . who or what's next? A casual "PC slap on the hand" is by no means adequate. This POS needs to be taught a lesson before he does more harm.
Bummer that was a good one "disrespect for Mother Nature." Next time a bear bites you in the butt, remember the "beauty of nature."

As far as this whole BS case, the kid should be charged a fine, not thrown in jail. This is stupid.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:13 PM

13,269 posts, read 21,900,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
As far as this whole BS case, the kid should be charged a fine, not thrown in jail. This is stupid.
This BS is all in your mind because there's no discussion of him doing jail time. He was held in jail until he made bail -- or in this case, picked up by his parents since he's a minor. That's how arrests usually work. He will most likely be fined (or his parents will be fined) and/or do community service.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:22 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,720,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
This BS is all in your mind because there's no discussion of him doing jail time. He was held in jail until he made bail -- or in this case, picked up by his parents since he's a minor. That's how arrests usually work. He will most likely be fined (or his parents will be fined) and/or do community service.
oh thank you for logging in from San Jose to make the sky clear for me. It wasn't like I was replying to other posters or anything.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
oh thank you for logging in from San Jose to make the sky clear for me. It wasn't like I was replying to other posters or anything.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a personal conversation between you and the "other posters". At least I indicate where I'm located, Mr. Anonymous Location.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:27 PM

289 posts, read 752,843 times
The judge needs to make him hug a saguaro with a good squeeze for 10 minutes a day for 15 days.

He will be much more respectful of all cacti by the end.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:33 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,157,182 times
It was an act of vandalism and that is how the court should handle it.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It was an act of vandalism and that is how the court should handle it.
He's going to be charged with, "felony criminal damage", according to this. Boy, 16, accused of disfiguring 150-year-old Scottsdale saguaro - CBS 5 - KPHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area