Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 AM

487 posts, read 748,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Just a reminder that one of your Midwestern transplants was upset enough to start this thread . some of us get it
Thank you for that. I don't quite know why the slam on Midwesterners...

Old 05-27-2014, 07:26 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
As long as the punishment fits the crime, no issue here with me at all. I didn't read the whole article, but if the kid has a clean record probation and community service hours should be the appropriate punishment. (IMHO anyways).

If he has a record, then I would potentially change my thoughts on the appropriate punishment.

Even this non-Arizonian knows not to mess with the Cacti in AZ.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:44 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,338 times
Here are a couple of examples of saguaros I've come across with the low hanging arms. They are definitely not common. It's a real treat to see them up close and personal.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Good. Let him remember that he is a felon every time he applies for a job.

Community service should be cleaning the park. In August. Or stand next to th cactus wearing a sign stating what he did.
I agree that community service, and a fine, would be a good thing for this kid but I don't agree that he should be reminded that he's a "felon" for the rest of his life. Felons who apply for jobs rarely get them. This kid is only 16 and I see no reason to ruin his life for the REST of his life. What he did was stupid, unthinking and malicious and, yes, he needs to 'pay' something for all that. But being a felon the rest of his life for it? I don't think so. I guess I know too many people who were marked a felon over really stupid stuff in their younger life and are still paying for it years later. Don't wish that on anyone, unless they REALLY deserve it.

What about the people who were with him? Wasn't there at least one adult there? And are they going to be charged as "accomplices"?

Old 02-01-2015, 01:02 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I am sorry but I don't see why we have to preserve every single stupid saguarto cactus in this state. There are a gazillion of them and it will probably grow another "arm" so why take some poor teen to jail just because he did this deed. Jail should be for criminals, not teenagers, in my opinion. Just another example of the way some people in Scottsdale think. JMH good for nothin O...

Just cuz he's a teenager doesn't mean he's above being punished. People who go around chopping plants that don't belong to them for no reason have serious issues where they think they can do whatever they want. You seem like the kind of parent who wouldn't even ground their kid for doing asinine crap. The kind of parent that thinks your child is a "misunderstood little angel"

Respect nature, mother@%#$&!

Old 02-01-2015, 01:22 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
The good news is that the saguaro didn't fall down on top of the poor dear. Full-grown, waterlogged, adult saguaros can weigh 6-8 TONS!

Old 02-01-2015, 01:40 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
It's a police state full of 40 and older somethings. Hypocrites and all.

Bummer that was a good one "disrespect for Mother Nature." Next time a bear bites you in the butt, remember the "beauty of nature."

As far as this whole BS case, the kid should be charged a fine, not thrown in jail. This is stupid.
If a bear bites you in the butt, you probably deserve it considering most bear species don't go biting random people in the butt. Only people who mess with them.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I am sorry but I don't see why we have to preserve every single stupid saguarto cactus in this state. There are a gazillion of them and it will probably grow another "arm" so why take some poor teen to jail just because he did this deed. Jail should be for criminals, not teenagers, in my opinion. Just another example of the way some people in Scottsdale think. JMH good for nothin O...
Let us not export our thug culture to the parks jail him

Old 02-01-2015, 04:45 PM

43 posts, read 68,622 times
For those that are saying this teen is little more than an innocent little boy, what kind of harmless, normal teen walks around with a machete? The story says "two adults" were with him, but they're not named as being his parents. They're probably older hoodlum friends, as this teen possibly comes from a broken home. I say that because how normal does it sound (especially to you parents out there) to send your teenage son out with a machete to hang out with his adult "friends"?

Unfortunately, I believe this will be the first in a long series of arrests for this individual. But I hear that there's always room in Tent City, where everyone wears pink underwear. I'm sure his nearby tent-mates will enjoy his company and companionship.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:50 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Let's continue to bump 7 month old threads. It will make this forum that much more relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area