Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:02 PM

768 posts, read 1,761,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I know you all might be doing a double take on the thread title, but in the last 10 years I have noticed more "aggressive" driving in metro Phoenix and when you drive an older 4cyl car it takes longer to accelerate from a dead stop, especially with the A/C on. More drivers "floor it" from stop lights and and rush to get to the next one, while you're driving steadily in the right hand land at the speed limit waiting for more people to tailgate you. Even speeding up to pacify tailgaters is more difficult in a 4cyl car and when you have a smaller car and an 8cyl pickup or large SUV is behind you, it's kind of intimidating.

If the majority of drivers in metro Phoenix drove small 4cyl cars, like they used to in European cities, then the playing field would be more even. I think the rise in high horsepower 8 cyl cars, SUV's and trucks coupled with a pushy/bossy attitude on the road, has made it uncomfortable for 4cyl car drivers. What do you all think?
You're kidding, right? Its not ALL about the car - sometimes the driver makes the difference.

I have the last laugh every two months when I buy gas for my 13 year old, 4-cyl, 6-speed that will blow your drawers off. Nothing makes me happier than cruising the flat lands of AZ with the air conditioning cranking, at 125mph Zoom, zoom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 06:05 PM

768 posts, read 1,761,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I have an 8 cyl but I also go the speed limit. I just relish in the frustration behind me and ignore them. More horse power doesn't really fix the problem when it comes to bossy drivers. Let them overheat, and take heart that their loved ones hate their personality.
Don't know if your're talking about the driver or the vehicle over-heating but for today you're my hero!

Old 06-11-2014, 06:12 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,144,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
You have to drive a ton when living in Phoenix and you put many miles on your car and quickly.
You don't HAVE to. I drive to and from work everyday as well as drive home for lunch four days a week. I average about 6,000 miles a year on my truck.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:20 PM

7,192 posts, read 9,261,862 times
I have a 4 cyl to save gas. No problems driving around town. Plan your moves ahead. Watch for problems. Work your plan.

Do I beat everybody? No. Who cares. Nobody's paying me to get there first, or even second.

BTW I commute via bicycle. No problems. Sure people yell and honk but they are just being friendly.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 PM

848 posts, read 969,984 times
After driving a 97 Malibu for almost 14 years (slow, 155hp, V6, garbage gas mileage), I finally got the car that I had been dreaming of, an Infiniti G37 (09, sedan, 328HP, V6, better mileage). I'm definitely not in the way anymore, especially on the freeway where the 60-80 range is kid stuff for me now.

I thought that after all the tailgating jackasses did in my old car, I'd be putting them in their place with my new car, but that hasn't been the case. I actually care less now than I did before about tailgaters. Just knowing I can smoke most cars out there now like they were standing still has brought a peace of mind to me. I actually ignore tailgaters now and just carry on about my business going the same speed I did before (about 5 over on the streets and about 75-80 on the freeway). There have been a few cases that have brought a smile to my face when tailgaters get lost in the distance such as merging lanes on the onramps (before they merge onto the freeway itself), and switching over to new lanes that open up where some freeways open up to wider sections, etc. I definitely don't do it on purpose though. If I weren't so paranoid of tickets and higher insurance, I'd probably be a jackass's jackass. I do like the suggestion of going slower when being tailgated, but I haven't bothered enough to try it yet.

Also, going through the curvy parts of freeway-to-freeway interchanges where big POS trucks just can't cut it at-speed like I can gives me a precious break from tailgaters too.

I'll say though, trying to stay out of the way in my girlfriend's 09 Matrix (4 cylinder) on the freeway is definitely harder than in my own car. Maneuvering around in that 60-80 range is a lot harder in her car.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:28 PM

975 posts, read 1,406,960 times
I have a 4-cylinder 2005 Honda Accord and I have absolutely zero issues with acceleration or driving around town on the freeways. Zero, zilch, none. Now I used to have a 2001 4-cylinder Honda CR-V which took FOREVER to take off, but my Accord commutes around the valley like a champ.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 PM

654 posts, read 1,497,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I know you all might be doing a double take on the thread title, but in the last 10 years I have noticed more "aggressive" driving in metro Phoenix and when you drive an older 4cyl car it takes longer to accelerate from a dead stop, especially with the A/C on. More drivers "floor it" from stop lights and and rush to get to the next one, while you're driving steadily in the right hand land at the speed limit waiting for more people to tailgate you. Even speeding up to pacify tailgaters is more difficult in a 4cyl car and when you have a smaller car and an 8cyl pickup or large SUV is behind you, it's kind of intimidating.

If the majority of drivers in metro Phoenix drove small 4cyl cars, like they used to in European cities, then the playing field would be more even. I think the rise in high horsepower 8 cyl cars, SUV's and trucks coupled with a pushy/bossy attitude on the road, has made it uncomfortable for 4cyl car drivers. What do you all think?

No, four bangers of today get the same HP as a V6 10 years ago...and more. The problem is the drivers ,pickup drivers are the most inconsiderate bunch on the road...in any city..state or country.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:34 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
The speed limit here is posted + 5-10. When in Rome, as they say. If you drive posted you deserve to be run into the ditch.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:43 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The speed limit here is posted + 5-10. When in Rome, as they say. If you drive posted you deserve to be run into the ditch.
seems a little harsh

Old 06-12-2014, 08:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
I come at this from a different angle which is I'm not comfortable in the car that's wrapped around that 4 cyl engine.
With the way people drive nowadays I want the metal that's wrapped around a larger motor. Seen way,way too many shoe box cars completely destroyed killing all inside after hitting a swarm of bees yes, a bit of hyperbole but it's not that far off from the truth. Example: My wife's Tahoe was rear-ended 3 weeks ago by a Camry @ <20 mph. Dinged the bumper on ours and totaled the front end of the Camry.

Seriously though, it's not the "power" thing for me (though I will confess I do like a nice motor) it's the mass of the vehicle vs those idiots who A.Ignore red lights. B.Ignore stop signs. C. Refuse to use turn signals. D.Race around/through traffic causing others to hit each other frequently. E.No lane restrictions for Semi-Trucks who also REFUSE to use turn signals most times.
Did I mention the lack of turn signals on vehicles?

I've got to admit, I am impressed with the bravery of all those Smart Car drivers I see out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area