Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:31 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,619,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The speed limit here is posted + 5-10. When in Rome, as they say. If you drive posted you deserve to be run into the ditch.
Ooooo...now I know who you are. lol
I don't worry about keeping up with the Joneses of the road anymore, too old for that. I do have a great ability to ignore others though, it's a gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 11:47 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,356,135 times
Some of the fastest cars I have owned were 4cyl.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:51 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,144,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Ooooo...now I know who you are. lol
I don't worry about keeping up with the Joneses of the road anymore, too old for that. I do have a great ability to ignore others though, it's a gift.
By going slower than than the flow of traffic you are actually causing more problems and more likely to cause an accident. I really hope you stay in the right lane at the very least.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,763,880 times
We just ordered a new Mini Cooper with 3 cyl. I think we will be fine. We plan on looking at electric Smart Cars next year after they have been out on the market for a while. I am not worried about getting honked at or flipped off if we are not fast enough. You can't stop someone from being a moron no matter what you drive lol.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:46 PM

156 posts, read 421,121 times
My mother just bought a 14 Mini Cooper S, coldest ac I've ever enjoyed!!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:24 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
seems a little harsh
Yeah, we don't even have ditches on our roads. Just to illustrate the mindset though I will tell a story. When I took my daughter to her drivers test a couple years ago, I was looking at the examiner's form and noticed a section that had reasons for an immediate fail of the test. They included things like being in an accident, running a red light, and, as you might expect, speeding. However, next to the word, speeding was an item in parentheses that read "(greater than 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limit)". Who would have known! You can speed up to 10 over even on your driver's test with impunity.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:45 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,879,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I know you all might be doing a double take on the thread title, but in the last 10 years I have noticed more "aggressive" driving in metro Phoenix and when you drive an older 4cyl car it takes longer to accelerate from a dead stop, especially with the A/C on. More drivers "floor it" from stop lights and and rush to get to the next one, while you're driving steadily in the right hand land at the speed limit waiting for more people to tailgate you. Even speeding up to pacify tailgaters is more difficult in a 4cyl car and when you have a smaller car and an 8cyl pickup or large SUV is behind you, it's kind of intimidating.

If the majority of drivers in metro Phoenix drove small 4cyl cars, like they used to in European cities, then the playing field would be more even. I think the rise in high horsepower 8 cyl cars, SUV's and trucks coupled with a pushy/bossy attitude on the road, has made it uncomfortable for 4cyl car drivers. What do you all think?
I agree with everything you've said but I'll be damned if I'm going to drive some big fat a$$ gas guzzling hog just to make those pushy rude a-holes feel better. If they dont like it, eff em, they can go around me. I drive a 4cyl 9/10 times but even when I'm driving my V8 powered truck I still drive at or at least closed to the speed limit and do not accelerate hard.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I agree with everything you've said but I'll be damned if I'm going to drive some big fat a$$ gas guzzling hog just to make those pushy rude a-holes feel better. If they dont like it, eff em, they can go around me. I drive a 4cyl 9/10 times but even when I'm driving my V8 powered truck I still drive at or at least closed to the speed limit and do not accelerate hard.
But which would you rather be hit in?
I'd prefer NOT a smart car, or mini for that matter...

Old 06-13-2014, 06:03 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
No, four bangers of today get the same HP as a V6 10 years ago...and more. The problem is the drivers ,pickup drivers are the most inconsiderate bunch on the road...in any city..state or country.
But Canadians who live here part-time are the most annoying bunch.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 PM

768 posts, read 1,761,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
But Canadians who live here part-time are the most annoying bunch.
No - the most annoying and dangerous bunch are the smartphone owners that use while driving.

Had three near death experiences today within 2.5 miles and 15 minutes from my house. And that's just the ones that weaved in my lane! The other four distracted drivers gaming for fatal accidents that I witnessed - NEVER LOOKED UP FROM THEIR PHONES - while multiple cars dodged and strained to avoid accidents waiting to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area