Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:52 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,258,984 times

Advertisements

Always was amazed at how hot the air being blown from my A/C unit was, never thought about the effect of so many of them running around the valley. Seems you rich guys in Scottsdale, Paradise Valley and North Phoenix need to turn your A/C temp up a bit and cool it down for the rest of us (looking at you DeroitN8V).

"Running your air-conditioner at night makes it hotter outside, and the hottest part of the Valley after the sun goes down isn't the concrete-laden city core.

A small area covering parts of Paradise Valley, north Phoenix and Scottsdale appears to have the highest overnight temperatures, about 2 degrees higher than the Valley average, according to a heat map created by Arizona State University researchers."

Running AC hard at night makes upscale Valley area hottest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 PM

156 posts, read 422,008 times
Keep my t-stat at 71!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBradley View Post
Keep my t-stat at 71!!!!!!!!!!!
Yikes...that is frigged in Arizona. Your power bill must be off the charts? Mine is at 80 during the day, 78 in the evening/weekends and 76 at night.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:30 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,781,119 times
Keep ours 83 during the day and night. Never liked an ice box for a house. Hope solar technology ramps up during our lifetime to see it fuel an AC and the house.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:36 PM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
I am a little skeptical. Aside from the fact that it is ASU students who are known more for partying than scientific inquiry, the heat being blown out by an AC is the same heat that is being gained by a structure. Other than the motor friction/heat loss, there is no net gain in heat. An AC is simply a heat "pump". Had the sun shone on the ground all day the heat would also be radiated back into the atmosphere after sundown. Whether it would be more or less than that being pumped out of the structure would depend a lot on the soil cover. PV is a lot of rock. It absorbs a lot of heat during the day and releases it much more slowly than grass or even loose soil would. I think the ASU students need to have a few more beers and think this one through some more. There may be other explanations.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:48 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,343,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Yikes...that is frigged in Arizona. Your power bill must be off the charts? Mine is at 80 during the day, 78 in the evening/weekends and 76 at night.
I run mine at 71 at night and my electric bills are 300-400 in the summer. Our house was designed well with good insulation and I have quality Trane units. I can't see how you sleep at 80. That is way too hot for me inside. I like 75-76 during the day. Yes, 70 at night is frigid thanks in large part to the dry air. In Florida, 71 degrees inside still feels hot due to the humidity and feels anything but crisp cold.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I am a little skeptical. Aside from the fact that it is ASU students who are known more for partying than scientific inquiry, the heat being blown out by an AC is the same heat that is being gained by a structure. Other than the motor friction/heat loss, there is no net gain in heat. An AC is simply a heat "pump". Had the sun shone on the ground all day the heat would also be radiated back into the atmosphere after sundown. Whether it would be more or less than that being pumped out of the structure would depend a lot on the soil cover. PV is a lot of rock. It absorbs a lot of heat during the day and releases it much more slowly than grass or even loose soil would. I think the ASU students need to have a few more beers and think this one through some more. There may be other explanations.
At first glance your post made sense but after some thought I have some questions...

Since the A/C is the largest consumer of energy in a home I'd suspect that there is a lot of heat coming from that energy usage which is being pumped into the outside air? I'm no expert but there is heat generated during the use of all that energy.

Not to mention, the A/C is cooling the inside of your home, not the outside. So the heat being put back by the coils outside the house is in addition to the heat coming from the outside of the structure (and all those rocks in Paradise Valley). There are a ton of heat generating devices (people, pets, electronics, appliances) inside the home and that heat is being transferred outside the home by the A/C.

Lastly, setting the thermostat at 80 will use less of that energy and transfer less of the inside heat to the outside then if you set your thermostat at 70.

Their conclusion seems reasonable to me. Thoughts?

Last edited by LBTRS; 06-12-2014 at 01:04 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 12:57 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,526,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Are you going to let your extreme dislike for ASU and your opinion that most ASU students are drunk and disorderly come into every post that mentions ASU? Why not just question the conclusion for the other reasons you state, without the superfluous, off topic, mean spirited comments?

Last edited by observer53; 06-19-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-12-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I run mine at 71 at night and my electric bills are 300-400 in the summer. Our house was designed well with good insulation and I have quality Trane units. I can't see how you sleep at 80. That is way too hot for me inside. I like 75-76 during the day. Yes, 70 at night is frigid thanks in large part to the dry air. In Florida, 71 degrees inside still feels hot due to the humidity and feels anything but crisp cold.
I can't sleep at 80, that is why it is at 76 at night. I can sleep at 76. 80 during the day when it is really hot outside.

Even 76 at night wasn't comfortable when we first moved here, however, it didn't take long until we acclimated and it is now comfortable. We even use covers on the bed.

Last edited by LBTRS; 06-12-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 01:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,729,162 times
I think it has a lot more to do with local geology than anything else. But a study that claimed "local geology makes valley area hottest at night" wouldn't make much of a news story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: