Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 16,728 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a house off the beaten path with dirt roads and no city water. The water needs to be hauled in. Any experienced owners with stories good or bad about the water? The overall house is considerably nicer for the price than anything in the city and the remoteness is not a problem, otherwise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 11:38 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
can you give the appx. location?....

water hauling is common in northern Arizona, so you may want to post in the Flag subforum for some comments

Old 06-20-2014, 12:25 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
can you give the appx. location?....

water hauling is common in northern Arizona, so you may want to post in the Flag subforum for some comments
Maybe he wants to commute an hour and a half by being on "Top of the World." LOL

Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 AM

24 posts, read 49,549 times
Many homes in the area of the town of Maricopa have hauled water as well. I have had the similar question as I have looked to purchase a house in this area. Does any one know an approximate cost to drill a well? Also, do you know the cost of water delivery? I want to say I remember reading a website or forum that mentioned $60 for 2000 gallons.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:36 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,943 times
Hauling water is not uncommon in many parts of the valley. Even in places like Carefree, Cave Creek and Rio Verde Foothills there are luxury homes that use hauled water simply because the area does not support wells with adequate flow.

Using hauled water requires you to be a little more diligent about how you use your water and to be aware of changes to your water usage when you have guests and parties, etc. Once you learn your patterns for how you use your water your can have the water company schedule the deliveries so you will never run out. It will just become automatic.

Of course your landscaping will be desert landscape or Xeriscaping to minimize wasting water.

Taking it to the next level, if you are smart you can become more sophisticated by installing a "gray water" system that uses water from showers and sinks (not toilets) that can be used to irrigate outdoor plants. Saving you money and helping the environment.

Since it sounds like the house is already built, I would take a little time to speak with the neighbors about how they get their water, their costs and the quality of wells in the area.

One other consideration is insurance. Remember insurance companies set their rates based on risk. One component is how far from a fire hydrant the home is located. Check with the fire department AND an insurance company. You do not want to be surprised by a $2K insurance premium or annual fire service contract.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 16,728 times
Thanks to all responders. The house is in the Rio Verde area and my understanding is that wells there are largely impossible. I had not considered the insurance aspect--I appreciate the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area