Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:33 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,172,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
I'll take tax on food over property tax. I pay almost $4000/year right now in property taxes.
Our property taxes will be much lower unless of course you buy a million dollar home. You'll probably be spending half of what you are paying now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 01:00 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,961,357 times
Quote:
What are your opinions on Northern Glendale vs. East Mesa?

Which do you think would be a better place to raise a young family?
North Glendale hands down. I raised my kids in Glendale and it was a good experience. They went to Peoria Schools. We moved to Gilbert when they were all in Jr High or above. Gilbert is nice but I should have stayed in Glendale, people are less materialistic than Gilbert.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:04 PM

849 posts, read 3,529,826 times
Smile don't mean to be rude but

Quote:
I'll take tax on food over property tax. I pay almost $4000/year right now in property taxes.
if you can shell out 4K/year (good for you) that 7% or so more for basic nutrition isn't going to hurt you too much but not so for someone just over the poverty line or slightly higher. It really hurts even on 25-30K a year. Don't think anyone in that income bracket is paying your kind of prop taxes which ARE a burden no question but it's all relative. Been on both sides so I know. When I lived in Baltimore, it was cheaper to drive to Newark DE do a month's worth of shopping and drive back than to pay sales tax on the same groceries. Maybe the increase in gas prices have neutralized that but you get my point.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:18 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,755,570 times
Sheena! You made it safely back to AZ. Welcome home.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Sheena! You made it safely back to AZ. Welcome home.

Yep we made it safely. We are back in the saddle again Thanks for the welcome.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:43 AM

54 posts, read 224,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
North Glendale hands down. I raised my kids in Glendale and it was a good experience. They went to Peoria Schools. We moved to Gilbert when they were all in Jr High or above. Gilbert is nice but I should have stayed in Glendale, people are less materialistic than Gilbert.
Thanks....................

Old 12-20-2007, 07:45 AM

849 posts, read 1,953,896 times
We live in Glendale, Bellair area, and we like it fine. I work at CCV which is in Peoria, NW of Arrowhead area. I really like the whole area.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,466 times
Default dont raise family here

Quote:
What are your opinions on Northern Glendale vs. East Mesa?

Which do you think would be a better place to raise a young family?
if you have to move here i would say gilbert for for your kids. if your talking good side of town vs. bad side . well it dont work like that here. it is a big valley and good hoods come and go. i myself wish i had moved to west mesa. by the 202 and gilbert road. smack dab access to everything. the highways are awsome here. i am from pittsburgh, been here for 17 years. here is one good trick for you if you do come here. allways live east of where you work. that way in the morning the sun is behind you and after work it is behind you. the sun is strong here. buy good sunglasses. at this moment i would not buy a house right off the batt. summer of 08 is better. can i ask you why you picked glendale or east mesa?

Old 12-20-2007, 08:30 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,791,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
We're just starting to look at the Phoenix area. we can probably afford a very small condo in Scottsdale and the cultural milieu matches our needs. but what do you mean about taxes in Mesa? where are there no property taxes? where else in area are there no prop. taxes? Do they make it up with city sales tax on everything incl. food?
No taxes sounds like heaven but we are opposed to sales tax on basic food.
Mesa doesn't add a tax on food.

The base sales tax in AZ is 5.6% Maricopa County adds 0.7%

The rest is added by cities and varies from one town to the next.

The grand total on my last adventure in a Mesa Walmart was 8.05%. At the Apache Junction WalMart it was 8.9%.

Here's a link with info on valley city tax rates:
http://phoenix.about.com/od/govtoff/a/salestax.htm

Old 12-31-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMPSTA D View Post
if you have to move here i would say gilbert for for your kids. if your talking good side of town vs. bad side . well it dont work like that here. it is a big valley and good hoods come and go. i myself wish i had moved to west mesa. by the 202 and gilbert road. smack dab access to everything. the highways are awsome here. i am from pittsburgh, been here for 17 years. here is one good trick for you if you do come here. allways live east of where you work. that way in the morning the sun is behind you and after work it is behind you. the sun is strong here. buy good sunglasses. at this moment i would not buy a house right off the batt. summer of 08 is better. can i ask you why you picked glendale or east mesa?

Gilbert and N Glendale neighborhoods are comparable. Nice clean rich kids doing drugs in both areas including N Scottsdale. Schools are both good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area