Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 8,066 times

Advertisements

Dear friends,

we have lived in Chandler for about 6 months and have seen three small alive scorpions inside the house and more than 100 scorpions in the backyard. We live in the cross roads(Germann and S. Gilbert : Peterson farm). We are planning to move to a different house since we have a 9 month old baby. My husband works at Pecos and Dobson cross roads. Can any of you know which area that you have not seen any scorpions? I was told that any area north of Ray to Southern avenue and from Arizona avenue to Power roads has less scorpions. Not sure if this is true. Please kindly provide the cross roads or community name that you have not found any scorpions. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 02:11 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiayou View Post
Dear friends,

we have lived in Chandler for about 6 months and have seen three small alive scorpions inside the house and more than 100 scorpions in the backyard. We live in the cross roads(Germann and S. Gilbert : Peterson farm). We are planning to move to a different house since we have a 9 month old baby. My husband works at Pecos and Dobson cross roads. Can any of you know which area that you have not seen any scorpions? I was told that any area north of Ray to Southern avenue and from Arizona avenue to Power roads has less scorpions. Not sure if this is true. Please kindly provide the cross roads or community name that you have not found any scorpions. Thank you so much!

I know someone that lives in that same square mile that has a lot of scorpions too (I think they live in Paseo Trail). I have owned homes in South Tempe and South Chandler and have never had them. I think getting away from all the new construction would help. And maybe ramp up the spraying a bit and you can always have a house sealed from bugs for about $1,500.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiayou View Post
Dear friends,

Scorpions are pretty much pocket creatures. One side of the street can be infested while the other side of the street will have none. They will stay in an area as long as there is a food supply. If you don't want to move...contact a reputable pest control company and have them come in to look. Green Mango worked well for us but your neighbors have to be getting sprayed at the same time or they just tend to jump yards. When we moved into our first house in Chandler (Germann and Alma School) we were finding 10+ scorpions on the fences a night. I have lived in the Valley since 1988 and had never seen a scorpion except in a jar. My wife was stung 3 times in 6 months...that is how we found out she is allergic to scorpion venom. We had a 3 year old and a 6 month old at the time and it scared the heck out of us. Once we started getting treated for bugs to eliminate their food source and sealed doors, windows, any other cracks we could find...the problem started to go away. Within 6 months we didn't see any more scorpions but I waited until the next summer to verify that. They seem to be more active if the temperature stays above 80°F. 7 years later and I hadn't seen a scorpion on the property and then we moved 1/2 a mile away to our new house. The previous owner hadn't seen a scorpion there in 16 years.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 PM

I would add, lush grassy landscaping probably does a lot to bring in the scorpion food. Pretty hard to get rid of crickets around a grassy yard unless you're spraying every week. Desert landscaping would also bring in more gecko's and I understand they eat scorpions. I have some grass though but very few crickets (and lots of lizards in the desert part of my yard). My pest control guy said I never see crickets likely because my neighborhood is a bit on the pricey side and most people probably spray, otherwise it's useless to spray if your neighbors don't. Not sure if that's the case but I do see pest control trucks on the street regularly

Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Moving seems a bit extreme. Why not just treat the problem?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
LOL, 100 scorpions and a 9 month old baby? I would move too

Old 07-08-2014, 03:46 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Quote:
I understand the reaction...my wife wanted to sell the house immediately after we moved in...she was stung on the first night in the house. Again a couple of weeks later. The third time was a couple of months later and she is now deathly afraid of them. She called me at work after she found one in the bathroom and was physically frozen from walking in and just killing it. I had to drive home from work to get it. I actually think they caused her anxiety issues that lasted a few years but that is a whole other thread.

Point being it is like being terrified to be in your own house, not knowing if you will find one in your bed or if one will crawl into the crib with the baby...it gets really tiring and stressful having to be on alert all the time.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:50 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Do you plan to sell the house without disclosing the scorpion problem?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
I get it but there's also no guarantee that moving will be a fix, unless it's out of state somewhere. With only three found in the house, I think treatment is the best option. It's not like hundreds were in the house. That would cause me to move!

Old 07-08-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I get it but there's also no guarantee that moving will be a fix, unless it's out of state somewhere. With only three found in the house, I think treatment is the best option. It's not like hundreds were in the house. That would cause me to move!
They probably only "found" three in the house because the house is full of furniture and they are hiding... in the pillowcases, sheets, between the sofa cushions, in the towel cabinet, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area