Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 02:51 PM

435 posts, read 1,577,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrider View Post
Not entirely true. Although Valley fever can be life-threatening, those types of cases are very few and far between. Accoriding to the Valley Fever web site-- cases of life-threatening valley fever are very uncommon. It states that the disease rarely gets past the flu-like symptom state, and is very treatable and curable-- although you may remain a carrier of it. They also state that SECOND INFECTION is rare. So get the "flu" once? What is the big deal. Pnuemonia and flu were rampant when I lived in the midwest, so whats the difference? They are both life-threatening.

It does NOT just affect Phoenix and Tucson. It affects California, NM, Texas, beloved Colorado, and Utah as well. You can see it on the map.
Trust me, you're out of your league on this one. I see cases of valley fever literally every day in this hospital- in lung tissue, joints, skin, CSF, so on and so forth. You're right, the majority of cases aren't severe, and most people who contract it may never seek medical attention- which makes it difficult to determine what the actual incidence of the disease is. In those that do have symptomatic problems, however, it does cause significant disease enough of the time that it's a legitimate health concern. The disease does tend to be much more severe in immigrants to Arizona and in the population of older and/or immunocompromised people. To say that it's "very uncommon" is inaccurate. It's one of the most common serious ailments you'll see as a healthcare worker in a place like Sun City, which has a large population of retirees from other regions of the country.

Of the number of reported cases- i.e., severe enough that an individual seeks treatment- about 90% statistically occur in visitors to or residents of the state of Arizona, either the greater Tucson or Phoenix area. In fact, the incidence is rising at a staggering rate. The very same website you referenced has a link to a story pointing out the sharp rise in number of cases and in severity in Arizona. Here's a short part of that discussion:

"Arizona state statistics show that reported cases of valley fever are at record levels. As of the end of April, 2,305 cases of the infection were reported in Arizona, four times the five-year average for the January-April time period and more than 85 percent of the state's five-year average of 2,732 cases per year.

An online report published in advance of the June 2006 print edition of Emerging Infectious Diseases, a scientific publication of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, suggests that these high numbers may represent only the tip of the iceberg.

Dr. Lisa Valdivia and her colleagues at the Valley Fever Center for Excellence at The University of Arizona College of Medicine and Southern Arizona VA Health Care System (SAVAHCS) report that valley fever, or coccidioidomycosis ("cocci"), is responsible for approximately one of every three patients who are treated for what their doctors think is a community-acquired pneumonia. Most of these patients are treated with antibiotics, as if they had a bacterial infection, even though valley fever is caused by a fungus and does not respond to drugs directed at bacteria."

There are multiple different species of cocci; the one that's found in southeastern CA, for instance, is not the same one that's found here. The strain that's found here is more infectious and causes more severe disease, typically. Although you may see a wide distribution of incidence on the website's map, don't assume that it occurs with equal frequency in those other states- I assure you, it doesn't.

As far as your comparison to the flu, here's the difference: in the midwest, they don't have cocci. Here, we have both (although in parts of the midwest, they do have histoplasmosis, a far more analogous comparison than influenza).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 04:02 PM

113 posts, read 525,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
Trust me, you're out of your league on this one.

I am posting based on what I read on that website. What about the "second infection is rare." Im no doctor, but to me, that means you get it once, then not again. I might be wrong-- but thats the way I interpreted it from the website. It does mention whoever gets it does become a carrier.

I have been here 5 years, straight from the middle east, (I dont consider Ohio and east the "mid-west") and I have never had Valley fever. I havent even been ill or felt ill in that time. I have yet to have met someone that has had it-- or at least told me they have.

Again, 2,732 cases per year is nothing when there are 5 million people here. I do agree that it will get worse, as there is more and more people, construction, and more dirt and dust flying around.

I believe this is another one of the many things here that is made out to be alot worse than it really is. Based on my experience here, and all the statistics being tossed around this website, I no longer take any statistics into consideration when making a decision, or contemplating an opinion.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:09 AM

435 posts, read 1,577,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrider View Post
I am posting based on what I read on that website. What about the "second infection is rare." Im no doctor, but to me, that means you get it once, then not again. I might be wrong-- but thats the way I interpreted it from the website. It does mention whoever gets it does become a carrier.

I have been here 5 years, straight from the middle east, (I dont consider Ohio and east the "mid-west") and I have never had Valley fever. I havent even been ill or felt ill in that time. I have yet to have met someone that has had it-- or at least told me they have.

Again, 2,732 cases per year is nothing when there are 5 million people here. I do agree that it will get worse, as there is more and more people, construction, and more dirt and dust flying around.

I believe this is another one of the many things here that is made out to be alot worse than it really is. Based on my experience here, and all the statistics being tossed around this website, I no longer take any statistics into consideration when making a decision, or contemplating an opinion.

Fair enough. I'm not trying to spread paranoia here, but to me, the basic attitude of "well, it hasn't happened to me, so I'm not going to worry about it" isn't something that I can very well adopt when I'm literally confronted with it daily.

Cocci is so rare anywhere else that it's a reportable disease in pretty much any region of the country other than the desert southwest, particularly AZ. Here, it's at the top of the differential when someone presents with respiratory problems, or vague symptoms of any kind. It sounds "a lot worse" than it is when you've never had it, and haven't known anyone who has. But when you work in a hospital and see severe cases almost daily, young people without any immune compromise coming in with meningitis, crippled from it having spread to their spine, losing limbs, etc., believe me, it doesn't seem like just a minor problem.

Same with the crime issue. To deny that a problem exists just because you've never been victimized is pretty naive, if you ask me. Try sitting around in an ER sometime at night, and just watch the victims roll in- random innocent people, shot on the freeways here for no reason, attacked while minding their own business without provocation, gangsters fighting over turf, illegals dehydrated & in kidney failure from walking through the desert, methed-out tweekers assaulting strangers on the streets or breaking into cars/homes, dumpster-diving, and so on. Watch the G's out in the waiting room text-messaging their homeboys, putting out a call for a retaliation hit on behalf of their buddy who just got smoked. Or watch the carloads of gangsters following the ambulances into the hospital to finish someone off once they arrive. It's just sick. Literally, I've never seen anything like it anywhere.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:11 PM

113 posts, read 525,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
To deny that a problem exists just because you've never been victimized is pretty naive, if you ask me.
Im not denying the crime issue, nor the valley fever issue at all. I am speaking from experience-- as well as friends and coworkers. I have seen and heard about valley fever and crime both, but not to the extent its being pushed here. Im sure in an ER setting you see much much more of it. It could be compared to being a Police Officer without being actually at the scene. Im sure a Firefighter, Police officer, EMT, or ER doctor gives you a completely different perspective of what goes on in a city, crime or otherwise. A "behind the scenes perspective" if you will. On top of that seeing all the bad sides of the crime and city will definately change your opinion, of anywhere== at least it would mine.

I have seen so many contradictive statistics here and on the net over the last 2 weeks that im totally fed up with them, and I dont want to hear another one.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:57 PM

566 posts, read 1,419,995 times
AZBound, if you still come to this board, I have questions for you. My husband and I live in Maine and are hoping to relocate to Arizona before Winter hits. How has the experience been for you? Is it everything you hoped it would be? Do you have regrets?

Old 05-12-2007, 07:52 AM

269 posts, read 1,259,134 times
Remeber if you do not like it you can always move back but I doubt you will.You would most likely move to Northern Az which is like Maine in many ways with out the harsh winters.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:00 PM

647 posts, read 3,343,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstlouis View Post
AZBound, if you still come to this board, I have questions for you. My husband and I live in Maine and are hoping to relocate to Arizona before Winter hits. How has the experience been for you? Is it everything you hoped it would be? Do you have regrets?
Have you visited AZ before? Are you thinking of moving to Phoenix, or somewhere smaller like Flagstaff or Prescott, etc? Also, how long have you lived in Maine, have you lived in other states, and are you prepared for a BIG change? I'm asking all these questions b/c I can't even begin to explain to you how different AZ is from ME. I lived in ME (Portland area) - not long - only a few years...but long enough to have a good idea of how different it is from ME I have a few friends back in ME who have never lived anywhere but ME and I know for a fact that they'd hate it here terribly b/c it's so different. But if you've lived outside ME before, it probably won't be as much of a shock to you.

First, the obvious - it looks totally different, except if you're planning to move to the mountains...Flag is quite pretty and reminds me a little of ME, as well as the other mountainous areas here. But the flat desert areas couldn't look much more different then Maine...even the Desert of Maine looks different then the AZ desert. I happen to think the desert here is beautiful, but it's definitely a change from ME.

Second - everything is new (compared to ME), there are no building moratoriums like in ME - on the contrary - we build as much as possible, wherever possible. We had a terrible time finding rentals in ME b/c they just don't build enough apartment buildings there. Here in AZ, well, let's just say finding housing isn't a problem for most people. Also, real estate in ME was surprisingly expensive due to the lack of building - it's much more reasonable here, IMO.

Of course the Phoenix area is much more metropolitan and bigger. But it lacks that neat vibe that Portland, and most of ME has...can't explain it really. Maybe it's the New England vibe in general. But Portland is such a neat city, and I just loved Old Port and many parts of Bangor and all the small towns and the lakes and mountains and beaches...I really miss it. And living by the ocean is incredible. I feel really landlocked here in AZ and really miss living on the coast. It's about a 6 hour drive to the CA beaches - a bit shorter to Mexico beaches and that gets really old.

What I don't miss in ME, however, is the high cost of living, low wages, the fact that you're considered an outsider (and treated as such) unless you're a fifth generation Mainer, the lack of commercial options, the liberal crunchiness (sorry - not trying to offend anyone...JMO ), and I definitely do NOT miss the winters. They are incredibly rough. Those big April snow storms came close to pushing me over the edge, after 4 straight months of freezing cold, gray, snowy, icy weather. I never knew it was possible to run out of room to put the snow you shovel from your driveway!!! It's crazy!

Sorry to ramble....I think my point is that there are good and bad things about both ME and AZ and it just depends on which bad things you're willing to put up with in order to enjoy the good things. Having lived in both states, I can say that they couldn't be much different, but I'm glad I've lived in both.

If you haven't visited here, I'd recommend making a few trips out - definitely during the summer and also during the winter. It's fabulous here in the winter, and at least during the summer you can swim. I'm not a snow skier, so I was pretty much stuck inside during the winter in ME, which wasn't fun. If you like winter sports more then summer activities, you may not like it here.

I hope my babbling has helped a little. Feel free to ask me specifics if you have any questions. Good luck with your decision!!

Old 05-15-2007, 10:45 AM

178 posts, read 802,005 times
Some yrs ago I visited phx in the month of Apr and loved it, so I moved there. In a about 6 months I started to dislike it. The sunsets are ok, but that's because there is so much dust in the air . I left the state and several yrs later, unfortunately, had to move back for family reasons. HATED it even more. There are really no redeeming qualities to point out. Endless sprawl, congestion, huge highways everywhere insufferable heat. Think of spending much of the summer indoors.
Even in a residential area, w/ houses along the street, the roads have 4-6 lanes! If you fancy breathing car fumes, you'll love it here! I live in another state now but, again unfortunately, have to go there about every month, so these are up-to-date impressions. There are no "seasons' , just warm and really HOT. If that's what you want, you might like Phoenix.
Just an interesting tidbit: they have a problem w/ a kind of rat called a roof rat, in phoenix. They are a problem, particularly in areas fruit trees and irrigation. Oh goody...... good luck on your decision.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:37 PM

647 posts, read 3,343,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30apples View Post
Some yrs ago I visited phx in the month of Apr and loved it, so I moved there. In a about 6 months I started to dislike it. The sunsets are ok, but that's because there is so much dust in the air . I left the state and several yrs later, unfortunately, had to move back for family reasons. HATED it even more. There are really no redeeming qualities to point out. Endless sprawl, congestion, huge highways everywhere insufferable heat. Think of spending much of the summer indoors.
Even in a residential area, w/ houses along the street, the roads have 4-6 lanes! If you fancy breathing car fumes, you'll love it here! I live in another state now but, again unfortunately, have to go there about every month, so these are up-to-date impressions. There are no "seasons' , just warm and really HOT. If that's what you want, you might like Phoenix.
Just an interesting tidbit: they have a problem w/ a kind of rat called a roof rat, in phoenix. They are a problem, particularly in areas fruit trees and irrigation. Oh goody...... good luck on your decision.
If you actually moved here after just visiting once in April, it's no wonder you figured out you don't like Phoenix. Luckily the original poster is doing some research and will hopefully visit several times before deciding.

I've been here almost 4 yrs - never seen a roof rat, nor do I know anyone who has.

It sounds like you spend your time in a very limited area and have not ventured out very far...4-6 lane roads through a residential area is most definitely NOT the norm here....certainly no more so then any other large city.

As for just warm and hot being the options - that's completely untrue. Yes, it's very hot for many months, but it certainly gets cold here in the winter. It snowed in Mesa this winter!! While it was mainly slush, it was still cold enough for rain to freeze. We've had to wear winter coats, hats and mittens very often during the winter. Every Xmas season we go to McCormick Stilman park and ride the railroad and our annual pictures every year have us in hats and coats. Certainly it's not as cold as Maine - not even close. But to say that it doesn't get cold here is simply not true....geez...don't even get me started on how many of our trees and shrubs we lost this winter to frost.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:05 PM

75 posts, read 395,063 times
Default moving out of AZ after 7 years, back to New England

AZbound - I'm native of MA, moving to CT next month with my husband and 3 small children all under age 7. We have lived outside of Phoenix ("town" of Gilbert) since October 2000. I don't like it here anymore for the reasons mentioned above. The winters are nice, but from May to October it is really hot and dry. The rains eventually come in the summertime, but not like they used to, I am told. It is rough coming from a region with rain, fresh air, green trees and lakes to the desert; the desert is beautiful - don't get me wrong, but you need to go looking for it thesedays as there is so much sprawl now. Allergies are 12 months ayear here and can be quite a problem. My sister, who lives here also since 1998, suffers terribly this time of year and must get shots. Not everyone has this problem - mine are tolerable, but they do exist.
I am not one who likes to go out in the summertime dragging my little ones with me. We have a pool, thankfully, but that's about all we do. Otherwise you have to drive 2 hours north or south to get into the mountains; same to get to one of the big lakes. There is always the mall! LOTS of shopping - too too much. Overkill. So, be prepared to spend some $$$$ to keep cool and keep occupied.
It will be a big shock coming from Maine to Phoenix area. I hope you find you like it, but I will not be surprised if, after a few years, you long to go back. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area