Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:07 AM

683 posts, read 2,653,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrygrl View Post
Could someone give me more info on Marana, how big is it? Cost of living?
City-Data is your friend Lots of good info right here and you can search for archived messages.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Marana-Arizona.html

Marana is actually a nortwestern suburb of Tucson, not Phoenix, but I mentioned it because it meets your criteria. Commuting to Phoenix would be difficult.

I decided to move to Red Rock for a lot of reasons, but the biggest reason was the lower home prices. We found a huge 3500 sf ft home for $275,000. I've noticed a few Marana police officers are living there and also some officers of the Pinal County and Pima County Sheriff's office.
I like the location because it's convenient driving to both Tucson and Phoenix, I go up to Phoenix at least 15 times a year.
I also like the feeling of being out of the city in a more rural atmosphere. I have three kids and would rather they not have to deal with some of the problems inherent with urban life. The summer nights also cool off more than they do in the city.
Funny thing, everybody always says that when you buy a new home you should check out the area on different days and at different times. I was at our home site early one morning last week and could hear the roosters waking up at the feed lot a couple miles away. That doesn't bother me at all, but I can imagine somebody being surprised waking up to that their first morning in their new house.
Gladden Farms is another option, the homes are just a little more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 12:52 PM

11 posts, read 47,083 times
You guys are awesome, so much more information than I've been able to find. It's great to be able to ask people their "opinion", even if it's not scientific. BillyB- I too wouldn't be bothered @ all w/ the rooster. Having 2 kids and desiring a smaller community feel I don't want to deal with metropolitan traffic and commutes. I want to live and work in the same town and if we want to go to a game, show or hang out in the city for the eve. we could go in to Phoenix. But on a day to day basis I desire a smaller more relaxed environment, but then I don't want movie theaters, restaurants to be an hour away. I'm definately going to look on here for Goodyear, that sounds great. I don't want so rural that we'd have to commute for our jobs. Thanks again, and I will check into all the places you have mentioned. The signon bonus for officers could be a great incentive, especially if the hourly wages were comparable to housing. I looking at house prices for Surprise and they were alot less than what were used to. Where we live you would have a very hard time finding any home under $200. It's crazy how much homes are here. We live in Norther NM

Old 12-22-2007, 09:22 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,455,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I would say Surprise is congested and you will see more than just some traffic. Bell rd is crazy packed during rush hour. I would not suggest it.

I think the other suggestions are good. Definitely do not look at Queen Creek, that place is horrible for traffic!
The traffic is largely made up of people commuting in and out of Surprise for work. If you don't commute, as her husband wouldn't be, then it's not congested within the city IMO. Still, I don't think it's quite country enough for what she described, nor is Goodyear or Buckeye. Buckeye would be more of these three suburbs, but even this city is swamped with sub-divisions now.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:02 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,793,803 times
Quote:
I would say Surprise is congested and you will see more than just some traffic. Bell rd is crazy packed during rush hour. I would not suggest it.

I think the other suggestions are good. Definitely do not look at Queen Creek, that place is horrible for traffic!
When was the last time you were in Queen Creek? The roads have come a long way over the last year. Ironwood/Vineyard used to be a two lane nightmare but not any more.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:21 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
The traffic is largely made up of people commuting in and out of Surprise for work. If you don't commute, as her husband wouldn't be, then it's not congested within the city IMO. Still, I don't think it's quite country enough for what she described, nor is Goodyear or Buckeye. Buckeye would be more of these three suburbs, but even this city is swamped with sub-divisions now.
I agree that all these places are probably not what the OP had in mind (Estrella does have the illusion, though). AZ is just not like that with small towns ringing the cities. It's a very urban state. Most of the small towns are just agricultural centers or mining towns and almost all are run down. Places like Camp Verde are OK, but no one in their right mind would want to commute to Phoenix everyday just so they could live in Camp Verde. Cordes Lakes (aka Junction) is closer but who would want to drive I-17? Red Rock is OK, but again, how many people would tolerate that kind of commute just to be out in the middle of the desert? The nice smaller places like Prescott are probably out of reach on a policeman's salary. Unfortunately, small town living and meaningful employment don't go together that well here. I think that if people want to live in AZ for whatever reason and they need a good-paying job with a future, they should just seek a Phoenix (and possibly Tucson) suburb that they can "live with" and forget about the smaller places. Many of the new master planned communities offer a pretty decent lifestyle in spite of being in the middle of a sea of congestion.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:09 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
When was the last time you were in Queen Creek? The roads have come a long way over the last year. Ironwood/Vineyard used to be a two lane nightmare but not any more.
I was in Queen Creek in Oct of this year on a weekend. It was a NIGHTMARE!! From the freeway all the way down Hunt Hwy was one long chain of cars. It took forever to get to my friend's house.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:51 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,793,803 times
Quote:
I was in Queen Creek in Oct of this year on a weekend. It was a NIGHTMARE!! From the freeway all the way down Hunt Hwy was one long chain of cars. It took forever to get to my friend's house.
We were down there last month looking at REDC houses and traffic was a breeze. There were barricades up in places at that time but the four lane is in and traffic was moving too fast in some places, just like the "old" days before Johnson Ranch.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:00 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,329,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I agree that all these places are probably not what the OP had in mind (Estrella does have the illusion, though). AZ is just not like that with small towns ringing the cities. It's a very urban state. Most of the small towns are just agricultural centers or mining towns and almost all are run down. Places like Camp Verde are OK, but no one in their right mind would want to commute to Phoenix everyday just so they could live in Camp Verde. Cordes Lakes (aka Junction) is closer but who would want to drive I-17? Red Rock is OK, but again, how many people would tolerate that kind of commute just to be out in the middle of the desert? The nice smaller places like Prescott are probably out of reach on a policeman's salary. Unfortunately, small town living and meaningful employment don't go together that well here. I think that if people want to live in AZ for whatever reason and they need a good-paying job with a future, they should just seek a Phoenix (and possibly Tucson) suburb that they can "live with" and forget about the smaller places. Many of the new master planned communities offer a pretty decent lifestyle in spite of being in the middle of a sea of congestion.
Ponderosa, I think what you're saying is excellent advice (+1 for you)-- and the truth, which is hard for many people to hear. However, I think the original poster said he wanted to work for a local police department in the community he would be living in-- he did not say he would be commuting to Phoenix every day.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:08 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
We were down there last month looking at REDC houses and traffic was a breeze. There were barricades up in places at that time but the four lane is in and traffic was moving too fast in some places, just like the "old" days before Johnson Ranch.
It must have been a different street or something, but even still it wouldn't be what the OP is looking for.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:30 PM

11 posts, read 47,083 times
Ponderosa and Vegas you two hit it head on. Ponderosa you have said what noone else has. There really isn't a small town around Phoenix, you either get suburbs or really small ag. towns w/ no place to work. Yes, we wanted a place where we could live AND work. We have NO desire to commute to Phoenix. It sounds like one of the suburbs you have mentioned might be the best thing. Buckeye, Goodyear, Surprise. I don't know if it matters, but I am a dental hygienist so I would need to work also. Our kids currently go to Christian School and we definately would want to continue that, so that is something else that we would need to be close. The more I type, the more I wonder if I should stay where we are. lol. Our town has all these things, we both have good jobs, the kids love their school and we don't have to commute. There is just many other things we don't like about living here. One is the opportunities for our kids when they do graduate, we'd like to live closer to a city with a major university, just in case they chose to go there. Of course, they could choose to go all the way across the country. We are 3 hours away from Albuquerque right now and although that's not a long way away, we don't care for Alb all that well. We would like to live close to a Major city- and it has to be warm. My husband says he's getting too old to live where it gets this cold. Of course, it's nothing like they deal with up north or on the east. Speaking of Camp Verde, is it not big enough to work in and live in. Are they self-sufficient, stores, dental offices, schools? I appreciate all the comments and if anythings else comes to mind please do tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area