Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:12 PM

174 posts, read 206,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardizoo View Post
Don Ruben's at 43rd and cactus! Best hole in the wall mexican join around LOL!
There is a street name of Cactus??!

I want to see this road and take a picture of the street sign when I am there in PH in the next couple days.

Google-mapping now to work it into my schedule.

Ok, I am weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,481,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
There is a street name of Cactus??!

I want to see this road and take a picture of the street sign when I am there in PH in the next couple days.

Google-mapping now to work it into my schedule.

Ok, I am weird.
And there's:

Sesame Street in Tempe.

Lobster Trap Lane in Tempe.

Why Worry Lane in Phoenix.

Bloody Basin Rd off I-17.

City names of "Why", "Snowflake(founded by Mr. Snow and Mr. Flake of course)", "Chloride", "Strawberry", "Ajo", etc

But what can beat zzyzx road in California?

Old 08-17-2014, 11:25 PM

174 posts, read 206,574 times
Oooooo .... Now I have another to-see .... taking a picture of Why Worry

Old 08-18-2014, 12:36 AM

339 posts, read 934,539 times
Don't forget the aptly named Nothing, AZ. Was there in June. What a bunch of nothing.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:10 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,284,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Sure. No good food but you'll eat at a chain?
I didn't say it was no good, just not as good as ours and I eat ours all the time. La Parilla is a treat because I don't have one where I live and small chain or not it is good. It's not like it's Chile's or something.

When there I'm more inclined to eat to eat Italian or one of the numerous other ethnic foods to be found in a large city that I don't get at home to be honest.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
I have to agree that Macayo's food is just so-so but they do have an awesome green chile enchilada that is SO good. Caramba has the best (translation, strongest) margaritas but the food is crap. I would recommend El Encanto in Carefree. Good food and a beautiful setting, especially on the patio. The drive up there is also very scenic and the towns of Cave Creek and Carefree and both charming.

Also, only consider hiking Camelback if you are experienced at hiking, or in pretty good physical shape. Even the "easy" side is fairly difficult, or so I am told. (I stick to more moderate trails because of a bad knee) You can hike this time of year, but go early in the morning, not the heat of the afternoon, and take LOTS of water.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:07 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordtwo View Post
I already know for sure that I am going to South Mountain for the view.
In all honesty, skip South Mountain. Camelback or Piestewa offer just as good views, and are better to climb. If you want to get more "away from it all", hike Toms Thumb up in NE Scottsdale. Its definitely more secluded than Camelback, etc, and the views are still awesome. As other posters have said, be sure to bring LOTS of water. Im talking a 96OZ Camelbak and some spares, just in case. Be sure to watch for rattlesnakes, too. In other words, dont be careless, reaching under or around rocks, etc, without looking first. Ive run into a few diamondback and tiger rattlesnakes up there, just give em a wide berth and go around em. Have fun in Phoenix!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:16 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,263,398 times
I prefer S. Mtn to Camelback or Piestewa. The main reason is I feel like an ant climbing an ant hill on Camelback or Piestewa. You can find some good hikes and views on S. Mtn without so much crowding. But another recommendation depending on available time would be the McDowells. Or drive north and hike Pine Mountain.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:25 AM

339 posts, read 934,539 times
My brother and I hiked in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve in late June. Pretty awesome. And hot!

I believe it was the Brown's Ranch Trailhead.

Scottsdale's McDowell Sonoran Preserve

Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times
Pinnacle Peak is another good option for hiking. Its arguably the easiest "mountain" to climb in the Valley, with well-groomed trails that arent too steep. My only beef with Pinnacle Peak is the trail isnt a loop, which means you have to double-back the entire trail to get back to the parking lot. Lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area