Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:15 PM

316 posts, read 656,901 times

Advertisements

My brother and I will be driving from Atlanta to Phoenix on a getaway trip. I am ready to get away from all of these trees and enjoy some time in the desert. We plan on being there for about five days in September. We are in the 18-25 age group. What are some things that we should do while we are there? I am hoping to participate in mostly outdoor activities. I already know for sure that I am going to South Mountain for the view. We have enough bars and clubs in Atlanta, therefore I'm not really interested in Phoenix club scene.

Please give me a few good Mexican restaurants to check out? Not the hole in the wall spots. We are only interested in the clean spots. lol

I mainly wanted to come and see if the city is right for me. If I like Phoenix well enough I may decide to move there next year. Honestly, I need a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:34 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,991,581 times
Just a fyi hole in the wall joints happen to have some of the best Mexican food this city has to offer (Barrio Cafe, Carolina's, and the list goes on and on).

Old 08-14-2014, 07:20 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,605,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Just a fyi hole in the wall joints happen to have some of the best Mexican food this city has to offer (Barrio Cafe, Carolina's, and the list goes on and on).
^^^ True. The prettier places tend to have crap Mexican food in my experience.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:26 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,630,628 times
Go to Macayos, not very good but fits your request.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:11 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,275,829 times
If you don't want hole in the wall places then just go to your local Mexican chain in Atlanta and you'll get the same stuff. The good places are the hole in the wall places.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:01 AM

6,409 posts, read 9,039,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordtwo View Post
Please give me a few good Mexican restaurants to check out? Not the hole in the wall spots. We are only interested in the clean spots. lol
Carolina's
1202 E Mohave St

The dining area and restroom are impeccable. Can't beat the green chile burro either.

P.S. One of my life goals is to visit ATL and go to Abdullah the Butcher's House of Ribs and Chinese Food.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:08 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,773,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Go to Macayos, not very good but fits your request.
You're on the right track there. Macayo's tops the New Times "Worst Mexican Restaurants" list.

Top 10 Worst Mexican Restaurants in Metro Phoenix | Phoenix New Times

Barrio Cafe meets the requirements in terms of cleanliness, a bit pricey though.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:40 AM

316 posts, read 656,901 times
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be sure to check out Barrio Cafe. In Atlanta the Mexican hole in the wall joints don't cook that well, but Atlanta is not really known for good Mexican food. I apologize if I offended anyone. Honestly, a restaurant doesn't have to be spick-and-span but I do expect a certain level of cleanliness.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:55 AM

113 posts, read 161,005 times
Since you'll be at South Mountain for a visit, you might want to try Dos Molinos, which is about one mile north of the South Mountain entrance on Central. Very spicy New Mexican food that is both flavorful and hot.
BTW, the view at South Mountain is great, but most satisfying if you have hiked up one of the trails to the top. I would recommend Ranger Trail (and do some work on google to find how to add Goat Hill to the route), Holbert trail (from the bottom of 7th street, not the flat part of the trail); and the Mormon Trail (add the Hidden Valley loop at the top).

Old 08-15-2014, 08:34 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,920,860 times
I would also suggest hiking camelback mtn. I will say this, please bring A LOT of water with you on these hikes. People from out of town often underestimate the amount of water needed, become severely dehydrated and have to be air-lifted off the mountain or worse.

I would second los dos Molino's, excellent stuff there.

One last must-do is a trip to Sedona. It's about a two hour drive north but as far as I'm concerned is maybe the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Plenty of world-class hiking to do there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area