Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 04:25 PM

7 posts, read 8,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know, you'd have to ask. And get the answer in writing. They might just let you add another person with the accompanying rent change (if any) as an addendum to your original lease.

Most apartment complexes are designed with X number of on-site spaces per unit. Many times 1 per bedroom. That's where you'd run into an issue.
I will go into the office on Monday morning and ask! And regarding the parking spaces, even if that is the case, my roommate doesn't have a car so we'd have an additional spot anyway. Thank you for your help, here's hoping for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 04:27 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Have you talked to your roommate about your boyfriend living there?
Perhaps they are not fond of the idea and that is the reason they agreed to live in the apartment with one other person.
I have never had a roommate but I'm not sure I would like to live in the same place as a friend and her boyfriend unless I have my own bathroom.
The level of privacy has been cut to 1/3 and there less chance for some quiet time in the common areas to study, cook, or watch television (if you watch television).
I know I would not want to be stuck in my room most of the time because of someone else's boyfriend.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Have you talked to your roommate about your boyfriend living there?
Perhaps they are not fond of the idea and that is the reason they agreed to live in the apartment with one other person.
I have never had a roommate but I'm not sure I would like to live in the same place as a friend and her boyfriend unless I have my own bathroom.
The level of privacy has been cut to 1/3 and there less chance for some quiet time in the common areas to study, cook, or watch television (if you watch television).
I know I would not want to be stuck in my room most of the time because of someone else's boyfriend.
Yes, we've talked about it. As college students, saving money always sounds appealing! We are all really busy and really only come home to sleep/eat, so the whole privacy/space isn't much of an issue.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trookwin View Post
Yes, we've talked about it. As college students, saving money always sounds appealing! We are all really busy and really only come home to sleep/eat, so the whole privacy/space isn't much of an issue.

Personally I think a better solution is to wait until your lease is over and move in with your boyfriend then.
Other than that this is a situation that should have been considered before you found a roommate and moved into a 2 person only apartment.

A couple months after the boyfriend moves in I wonder how much of a "non issue" the privacy will be.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,341,075 times
If this landlord is adhering to the livability code which sets minimum requirements for rentals they should be congratulated. Landlords who ignore these laws and/or authorities who fail to enforce them are as responsible as anyone for the quick deterioration of neighborhoods. I've lived in a couple of places where this particular residential code was not enforced and it immediately led to problems with noise, parking, trash, and property deterioration.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Personally I think a better solution is to wait until your lease is over and move in with your boyfriend then.
Other than that this is a situation that should have been considered before you found a roommate and moved into a 2 person only apartment.

A couple months after the boyfriend moves in I wonder how much of a "non issue" the privacy will be.
I completely understand, but sometimes life happens and you never know what's going to happen before you make decisions for other things.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:01 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If this landlord is adhering to the livability code which sets minimum requirements for rentals they should be congratulated. Landlords who ignore these laws and/or authorities who fail to enforce them are as responsible as anyone for the quick deterioration of neighborhoods. I've lived in a couple of places where this particular residential code was not enforced and it immediately led to problems with noise, parking, trash, and property deterioration.
Do we even know that there IS a "livability code" that applies here?

Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,712,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

There is no "livability code" in Phoenix, and even if there was, one as low as "one person per bedroom" would conflict with federal fair housing laws. For *related* people, that's an occupancy of *five* for a two bedroom unit. (Two per bedroom + 1 on the couch)

Pretty sure this is a landlord who just doesn't want to deal with boyfriend/girlfriend/roommate drama.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:35 PM

44,662 posts, read 61,729,772 times
OP you need to get better clarification from the LL. Is the LL's restriction of only 2 people per apt unit with 2 bedrooms his, if so then what would the 2nd bedroom be used for, especially for married couples. Most cities ordinances follow HUD's Fair Housing requirements which are 2 people are allowed per bedroom house, apt, or mobile home.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trookwin View Post
I completely understand, but sometimes life happens and you never know what's going to happen before you make decisions for other things.

Which is the reason I suggested to let your lease run out before you let the boyfriend move in.
[off topic]

Last edited by observer53; 08-24-2014 at 01:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: