Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:14 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,056,289 times

Advertisements

Extraneous note about our T.O.S.:

I can understand the points some of you are making about wanting to discuss the pros and cons of specific builders in the area. However, the T.O.S. of our forum prohibit consumer complaints.

Quote:
This is not the right place for consumer complaints. Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument.
To discuss the pros and cons of specific builders might be acceptable in general terms, however, it’s not acceptable to make disparaging remarks or to spitefully criticize a specific business. Yes, there’s a fine line between that and discussing constructively the pros and cons of a specific builder but that’s what moderators here on this forum try to distinguish.

If you have an agenda to dissuade those on this forum from doing business with a specific business because of a bad personal experience, moderators will tend to weed out those posts. However, if you can provide a list of things you weren’t particularly satisfied with in an unemotional dialog with perhaps some of the positive experiences you’ve had with that business, sometimes moderators will allow those discussions to stand.

Please refer to these threads for some more information about the “consumer complaints” clause in our T.O.S.:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...e-company.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...t-so-good.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...t-removed.html

Thanks for your cooperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 09:57 AM

110 posts, read 323,097 times
I think you will find pros and cons with any builder anywhere, but I would highly recommend a home inspection prior to the warranty expiring (if it's not too late). My wife and I have a Brown Family Home and they offer a one year warranty to come and fix things as necessary. During the course of the year there were things that we discovered and subsequently had fixed. Right before the warranty was up, we hired a home inspector who found things we never would have (the $200 it cost vs. potential thousands down the road was money well spent). They scheduled the trades to come out and got everything up to par. I'm not saying that dealing with BFC's customer service department was a pleasurable experience by any means (it was actually quite horrible to be completely honest), but at least they got the work done, and now we feel more confident that our house is of good quality.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:48 PM

11 posts, read 98,107 times
I've lived in many many new homes and this is the first home I have ever had with NO problems! We have been in our home a year.
In fact, Montalbano Homes is so proud of their construction that they have a photo book showing the difference in structure, piping, etc. between their homes and other builders. So you can see every little tiny thing that was put into your home.
Amazing company!
We are in 4000 sq ft. and it costed us half of what our 2500 sq ft. home in San Diego was.
Can't beat it!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:17 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,087,584 times
acoconutkiwi moved into a mansion:

> We are in 4000 sq ft. and it costed us half of what our 2500 sq ft. home in San Diego was.

I'll be curious as to what your a/c bill will be. Many people mourn in these forums that they are paying $500/month to cool houses barely above 2000 sq ft in June/July/August.

Our house was well built with great windows and I assume yours is also. Most of the newer 4000-5000 ft homes tend to be, so I would imagine that you could get under $300, but I don't know. Our 2600 sq ft home has never hit even $200 in July, but is almost always over $100 in Jun-Aug timeframe.

I don't imagine heating/cooling costs in San Diego are all that significant.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:02 PM

682 posts, read 2,567,513 times
Thanks for the info on Montalbano Homes. We had looked at some of their models a few months ago and thought that they were put together better than a lot of others that we saw during the time frame.

Too many builders make kitchens for microwave cooks that just poke holes in the wrap and throw the food in the oven. Montalbano had decent sized kitchens. I will take another look at them the next time we go to Phoenix.

altus2006

Old 12-28-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
acoconutkiwi moved into a mansion:

> We are in 4000 sq ft. and it costed us half of what our 2500 sq ft. home in San Diego was.

I'll be curious as to what your a/c bill will be. Many people mourn in these forums that they are paying $500/month to cool houses barely above 2000 sq ft in June/July/August.

Our house was well built with great windows and I assume yours is also. Most of the newer 4000-5000 ft homes tend to be, so I would imagine that you could get under $300, but I don't know. Our 2600 sq ft home has never hit even $200 in July, but is almost always over $100 in Jun-Aug timeframe.

I don't imagine heating/cooling costs in San Diego are all that significant.

In San Diego our A/C bills in July/Aug were $600-$900 a month. Here they are $400-$500 during the hot months set at 74-76. During Winter they are $200 and no more than $215. Our builder put in cost efficient energy saving everything, standard. It has been really nice!

Old 12-28-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
Thanks for the info on Montalbano Homes. We had looked at some of their models a few months ago and thought that they were put together better than a lot of others that we saw during the time frame.

Too many builders make kitchens for microwave cooks that just poke holes in the wrap and throw the food in the oven. Montalbano had decent sized kitchens. I will take another look at them the next time we go to Phoenix.

altus2006
Their prices just dropped another $10K this week. So get 'em while you can! The two houses behind me just sold and I spoke with two other people that are about to purchase the last 2 on that same street.
We got a free dream kitchen with all the doo-dads. You can pretty much ask for whatever you want and also make an offer on any spec home and get what you want.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:58 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,230,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoconutkiwi View Post
In San Diego our A/C bills in July/Aug were $600-$900 a month. Here they are $400-$500 during the hot months set at 74-76. During Winter they are $200 and no more than $215. Our builder put in cost efficient energy saving everything, standard. It has been really nice!
How big of home are you cooling for $400-500 per month? I'm getting ready to move to Phoenix and had budgeted $400/month average for all utilities now you have me scared. Are you heating a pool/spa or anything else or is that just the AC, lights, etc.?

Old 12-31-2007, 01:39 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,961,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Altus. The other thing you may want to check out would be the resales here in Vistancia. A few over enthusiastic investors have been trying to dump their homes before they make it to the courthouse steps. If you have a realtor, have them run through the MLS for you. There is a Belize model home across the street from us that the owners just lost. The price is silly.

I just called the sales office here in Vistancia and the St. Thomas is listed on the web site for $300K and with incentives it comes down to $170K. The Antiqua is $324,000 on the web site and with incentives it comes down to the $190s. Ouch, ouch, ouch. She also said that the incentives come off the base price, so your loan would be based on the sales price.

Oh wowee.........that's not too shabby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: