Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:13 PM

52 posts, read 234,262 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a list of the best home builders in Phoenix. Sounds like some people in other threads had some nightmare of home purchases out there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 01:07 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Live View Post
Does anyone have a list of the best home builders in Phoenix. Sounds like some people in other threads had some nightmare of home purchases out there. Thanks!
Good:
Shea Homes has always had a good rep. We're in a K-B home now and overall it was well built and they were good about fixing problems that came to light after our move in. I don't have any personal experience with high-end builders.

[mod cut-- consumer complaints not allowed per TOS]
Thanks for asking

Last edited by observer53; 01-22-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 08:50 AM

52 posts, read 234,262 times
Thanks aj661. My wife and I would not be looking at homes over $275,000 most likely. So TW and some of the others would not be applicable I believe. We just want to find a good builder, who does a high quality job - especially with the insulation. Thanks again!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:59 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
We bought a Shea home 3 + years ago and have been very happy so far. The issues we had were cosmetic and easy to fix. There are some fantastic buys here in Vistacia right now with the incentives that Shea is offering. Our 2,069 square foot home we purchased in 04' for $207K is down (or was last week) to $200K. Ouch. Ashton Woods builds a decent home here as well and I think they have some great floorplans and prices are very low right now.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:14 AM

682 posts, read 2,566,385 times
Motley,

Are the new prices just posted at the models for Shea and Ashton Woods? I checked out their websites and did not see any great prices like you described.

Also, what area of Vistancia are you referring to in your post. I would like to check current prices out in that area because I have seen nothing but good things about Vistancia.

altus2006

Old 12-26-2007, 12:24 PM

I think the "great" prices are including the incentives that the builder is giving at the sales office. You might want to call the office to see what they are asking with the incentives off the price. My daughter went with her roommate to see some Shea homes and the prices were different than the web site. I would call the sales office's to see what the story is. Maracay homes start around $199 according to the web site and they may be having some inventory sales as well. Not a bad time to be shopping.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:27 PM

Altus. The other thing you may want to check out would be the resales here in Vistancia. A few over enthusiastic investors have been trying to dump their homes before they make it to the courthouse steps. If you have a realtor, have them run through the MLS for you. There is a Belize model home across the street from us that the owners just lost. The price is silly.

I just called the sales office here in Vistancia and the St. Thomas is listed on the web site for $300K and with incentives it comes down to $170K. The Antiqua is $324,000 on the web site and with incentives it comes down to the $190s. Ouch, ouch, ouch. She also said that the incentives come off the base price, so your loan would be based on the sales price.

Last edited by MotleyCrew; 12-26-2007 at 12:40 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 02:53 PM

[mod cut-- response to deleted post] If you buy a new build here, hire a home inspector to watch the progress.

Last edited by observer53; 01-22-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 03:00 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
My experience with a Maracay home was perfect. They delivered a zero-defect house. I am not aware of any major problems in any house in our neighborhood.

The windows are of such high quality that we frequently didn't even know a monsoon was going on without looking out the window (we didn't hear it - and I have insanely good hearing).

That said, the neighborhood was built in 2000-2002. My experience is only *my* experience.

People reporting bad experiences with xyz homes or abc homes, etc are also reporting their own *personal* experience, so this is not statistics.

Still, I think it's nuts for a builder not to make a new home right for the buyer. Word-of-mouth 'advertising' is a lot stronger than a billboard.

I would cruise these forums by doing searches on all the builders you are considering. Somewhere in there will be some links to authoritative, professional surveys. I've seen them.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:29 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Live View Post
Also aj661 did you have that [mod cut-- responding to deleted material] home you purchased inspected, roof specifically, before you purchased it? Is it just tough for inspectors to catch stuff like that or is there anyway to mitigate situations like that?
No we didn't hire any inspectors ourselves. We assumed any major flaws in construction would be caught by the Gilbert's building inspectors during construction. We learned the hard way that there's a big gap between just meeting code and actual quality. Fortunately, there were no other problems with the roof.

Last edited by observer53; 01-22-2011 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: