Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 12:47 PM

294 posts, read 477,476 times

Advertisements

I'm on the lookout for apartments and I like downtown living. Are there any reasonable places in downtown Phoenix that would be suitable for a single person in their 20's? I'd want something close to a bit of nightlife as well. I understand most of the better nightlife is in Scottsdale, but I just prefer a bit more urban living. As far as budget goes, I'd be sitting at around $800 max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 01:07 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,959,250 times
Did a quick search on MLS and there really isn't much at all in that price range...came up with 2 lightings for $800 or less and neither are really urban in design or right in the mix of where you'd want to be if you want urban.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:03 PM

73 posts, read 152,153 times
Yay, someone who wants to live downtown! I live in the Garfield Historic District, it's a little rough around the edges but I love it. I'm a 26 year old female and live with my fiance about the same age. We just renewed our lease. It's a "gentrifying" neighborhood, but I have never been happier living in Phoenix. 10+ years ago the neighborhood had a very bad reputation, but I have always felt safe. A crossfit just opened near me, which I think speaks wonders, but it's not uncommon to see chihuahuas running around if that tells you anything.

Garfield is in walking distance to downtown/light rail and has very affordable rent. If you have time drive around and look for "For Rent" signs definitely do, that's how we found our place. There are a lot of small independently owned houses and duplexes. Two small apartment complexes come to mind on Portland and 9th st. Urban Gardens and Bristol Courts. I think Urban Gardens is on Craigslist but is listed as "X-Large 1 bedroom".

Alternatively, if you can find something affordable the Coronado District is just across the 10 and is gorgeous, but the rents are definitely higher and it's not as walkable. Both are in zip code 85006.

Check out Zillow.com along with Craigslist. For example, I love this place!

Rental Listings in Phoenix Arizona - All 28 Rentals - Zillow

P.S Garfield is definitely not in the ultra urban high-rise/area, Phoenix has a very strange downtown layout. It is however in the arts district and definitely has my heart!

Old 10-09-2014, 04:53 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,634,065 times
It will be very hard to find a nice apartment downtown for $800/month. The neighborhood east of 7th Street between Van Buren and the 10 is the most affordable area in the vicinity, but is not really downtown, nor is it all that safe.

Maybe a guest house or renting a room would be a better option?

Old 10-09-2014, 06:25 PM

294 posts, read 477,476 times
Thanks for the info, I'll check some of these places out.

I'm not really looking to rent a guest house or a room in a house, nor am I particularly looking for roommates either. Though I would consider having (at most) one other person if it were a nice place and already furnished. Speaking of which, how common is it to find a place already furnished? I'm somewhat of a vagabond and don't like being attached to a ton of furniture that I have to get rid of when I move again down the road. Also, it doesn't bother me too much if the neighborhood is a little rough around the edges. And I suppose it doesn't have to be right smack in the middle of downtown, but ideally pretty close by.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:50 PM

10,762 posts, read 23,875,307 times
I'm thinking of relocating to Phoenix next year and I'll be visiting the valley in 2 weeks. The reality is I'd probably live within a 5-10 miles radius of wherever I'll be working but I've thought about living on North Central on the light rail line. There are a few rentals near Steele Indian School park. I've wondered how that area would be for living. Average rent in a few complexes around there look like they are around the $900-$1000 range for a 1BR.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:21 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,959,250 times
Yeah if you look further up Central Ave, you can get into a high rise rental for around $100/month that will be within a few blocks of the light rail so that's not a bad option.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:00 AM

6,407 posts, read 9,007,507 times
There's plenty of affordable apartments in your range downtown. I live in one of them. Not sure how many post online. Found my current place by driving around and saw a sign posted. There's a good selection of places in the section bordered by Roosevelt & Van Buren (north and south) and Central & 7th Ave (east and west).

Old 10-10-2014, 08:33 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,914,631 times
Check out downtownphoenixrentals.com. I live in one of their places on 6th ave and filmore and it's well within your price range. they have several places in the area, and while they're not luxury, they are quite cool.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:41 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
There are two different people now posting in this thread, with two different price ranges. When you respond, quote the post you are responding to, to avoid confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: