Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
I think we were thinking along the same lines even if we didn't say it. Even in New York, there are some amazing apartments. The point I was trying to make is that even though there exists some really nices places, they are not the norm by any means which is why they are expensive and most people, including myself, can afford to rent there, and I make a decent salary. In Phoenix, you can rent a really nice place for under a $1000 which is just unheard of in New York in Chicago. My husband and I make a combined income that's slightly less than 200K and we were renting a place near 5th avenue and 83rd that was slightly over $4000 month. It was nice but it didn't look like the resorts in Phoenix.
There are untold thousands of apartments in Chicago, and like I said, all that Ive seen (affordable and not affordable) were very nice. Sure, youre not going to have land or fancy vaulted ceilings with skylites because most of the buildings are very old and very cool in their own right. They have a certain "soul" that you cannot find in new buildings. Anyways, even the older complexes we saw were quite classy, even in trendy hipster-type neighborhoods. There are TONS of remodels going on too, converting old warehouses into loft-style apartments, with the cool brick walls, exposed duct work, etc. The expensive highrises are concentrated downtown and north along the lake, and the ultra-exclusive ones are up near North Michigan Ave/Oak Street/Gold Coast. There are sooooo many to choose from that its mind boggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 05:16 PM

225 posts, read 962,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
There are untold thousands of apartments in Chicago, and like I said, all that Ive seen (affordable and not affordable) were very nice. Sure, youre not going to have land or fancy vaulted ceilings with skylites because most of the buildings are very old and very cool in their own right. They have a certain "soul" that you cannot find in new buildings. Anyways, even the older complexes we saw were quite classy, even in trendy hipster-type neighborhoods. There are TONS of remodels going on too, converting old warehouses into loft-style apartments, with the cool brick walls, exposed duct work, etc. The expensive highrises are concentrated downtown and north along the lake, and the ultra-exclusive ones are up near North Michigan Ave/Oak Street/Gold Coast. There are sooooo many to choose from that its mind boggling.
Again,what you are discussing are not true apartments. They are properties for sale that people might lease. They are condos and properties for sale. My best friend leases a brownstone in Wicker Park near Damon and Division. We looked at apartments and they were not pretty by any means and they were going for around 2K-3K. They were not dirty but there was nothing special about them either. Even the browstone she is leasing isn't great and it's worth over 1 million dollars

Old 01-03-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
Again,what you are discussing are not true apartments. They are properties for sale that people might lease. They are condos and properties for sale. My best friend leases a brownstone in Wicker Park near Damon and Division. We looked at apartments and they were not pretty by any means and they were going for around 2K-3K. They were not dirty but there was nothing special about them either. Even the browstone she is leasing isn't great and it's worth over 1 million dollars
No, once again I am NOT talking about condos. Im talking about apartments, which are what we looked at. Most condos we saw were a bit pricey for us at the time. Eventually we settled in Naperville, but at the time wanted to live in Chicago. The ones we looked at all were named apartment properties, most were in the 1K to 1,500K range. Had they had ample parking, Im convinced we would have lived in Chicago. But we found out that trying to find space for 2 cars was absolutely impossible, and neither of us wanted to give up our cars. We moved to Naperville to a really nice luxo apartment that was literally right on top of the Metra train depot, so we could hop on a train to Chicago any ol time we felt like it. We took advantage of that many times during the weekends, with the $5 unlimited weekend passes that Metra offers.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM

225 posts, read 962,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No, once again I am NOT talking about condos. Im talking about apartments, which are what we looked at. Most condos we saw were a bit pricey for us at the time. Eventually we settled in Naperville, but at the time wanted to live in Chicago. The ones we looked at all were named apartment properties, most were in the 1K to 1,500K range. Had they had ample parking, Im convinced we would have lived in Chicago. But we found out that trying to find space for 2 cars was absolutely impossible, and neither of us wanted to give up our cars. We moved to Naperville to a really nice luxo apartment that was literally right on top of the Metra train depot, so we could hop on a train to Chicago any ol time we felt like it. We took advantage of that many times during the weekends, with the $5 unlimited weekend passes that Metra offers.
To find nice apartments on the same scale that is offerred in some of the nicer complexes in Phoenix for 1000-1500 in Chicago is hard to imagine. I would have to see them for I believed it.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:18 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,212,689 times
Quote:
There are some new cool ones off of Tatum near Desert Ridge Mall that are really neat, their name escapes me though. Maybe someone can chime in and give you a name, theyre very new and look nice. Just an idea...
Are you talking about Shade? The ones right on Tatum across from Desert Ridge? To me they look like art deco New York but in pretty desert colors. Those are Mark Taylor. They start about $100 above his price range (around $900), tho depending what incentives they are offering may be able to bring the cost down. Mark Taylor's website has pictures, floorplans and rates. I liked those apartments! They were in my top 3 when I was looking for where to live. If this part of town is anywhere with a doable commute, also maybe Bellagio (like 56th & Bell or so)--->they were a bit more reasonable pricewise, a little older construction but still nice part of town (those end up in 85254). And there are a few "small" apartments down Tatum nearby (ie not big complexes) that may be reasonable.

Not sure what his commute would be from this part of town tho (I am close to Desert Ridge). I do know 85251 tho--->that is where I work (Camelback and Fashion Square). That is a pretty nice area. My niece lives at some pretty nice apartments I think are in his price range at Via de Ventura and Hayden-->which is just a few miles north of 85251.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:32 AM

9 posts, read 22,185 times
I guess I should note that I am 31 and female, in case that makes a difference. I've seen safety is kind of a neighborhood-by-neighborhood thing. I keep seeing things like "gated community" and aren't sure if that's just an extra safety feature and special amenity or necessity to help keep nasty elements out ..

Old 01-04-2008, 07:30 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,955,418 times
ChicagoVballTransplant,

you might also look into renting a house. I suspect that house rentals are becoming more common as the market for sellers keeps dragging.

Try phoenix craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "house" to see what you can get for $1000. There are lots of places. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Are you talking about Shade? The ones right on Tatum across from Desert Ridge?
Yes, thank you! Shade was the name. Funky colors and design. Part of the reason I liked them is because they werent the norm, they stood out.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM

919 posts, read 3,398,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoVballTransplant View Post
I guess I should note that I am 31 and female, in case that makes a difference. I've seen safety is kind of a neighborhood-by-neighborhood thing. I keep seeing things like "gated community" and aren't sure if that's just an extra safety feature and special amenity or necessity to help keep nasty elements out ..
I'm involved with a large social organization made up primarily of 25-40 something professionals throughout the metro area. The overwhelming majority of events (put on by members) are in the Scottsdale/Tempe/Chandler corridor. I have friends all over and fave places all over but it would seem by experience that these areas are the preferred place to live/play for your demographic.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:26 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,327,283 times
Smile east valley will work for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoVballTransplant View Post
Okay, I swear I have read at least 30 of these threads to try to glean all of the information I am looking for but have ultimately ended up hopelessly confused. I'm not looking for anyone to convince me I've made the right choice to move to Phoenix or tell me why Phoenix sucks (in their opinion) and how great Chicago is by comparasin. I've found my dream job and am happy to move away from Chicago winters. Also, being pretty sporty/outdoorsy, I'm excited about being able to be active more months a year. Now that you know that, I would be SO grateful if someone can help me with the following:

I will be moving to the Phoenix area around April 2008. I will be working in downtown Phoenix near Patriots Park (zip 85004). I have done extensive searches in trying to figure out where to live. I intend to rent my first two years or so ($800 or so per month), and have checked into Scottsdale, Phoenix, Tempe and Gilbert. I really liked the apartments in Gilbert, but the threads say the commute is over an hour each way (and, since I am relatively young and single, a bit boring). While Tempe seems more "happening", the commute seems to still be awful and the area may be a bit TOO young (don't want to be up all night with partying college kids). That leaves me with Scottsdale and Phoenix, but I can't seem to get a real handle on commutes being that there are so many different areas encompassed in "Scottsdale" and "Phoenix." Any help on the following issues would be appreciated:

1. What areas in Phoenix would you recommend? I've seen some decent places in the "ahwatukee" area but have no idea about the commute. Any other zip codes within Phoenix you recommend that don't have hellish commutes?

2. Same question with regard to Scottsdale.

3. Still open to Tempe, since I understand there is an express bus and soon to be a lite rail, so I would appreciate your comments on apartment complexes and zipcodes in that area, as well as your thoughts on commute.

4. Any other recommendations you have or things I should look into.

Thanks again for any help you can be!
You're from Chicago? So is half of Phoenix! People seem to move here in DROVES from California and Chicago. You will be in good company and will absolutely love it here. My one piece of advice is -- stay in the east valley.
Remember, if you live in the east valley and travel downtown, you will be going against the grain and will have less traffic. I don't think the commute will be so awful for you, and being in the east valley will be worth it in the long run.
Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area