Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 03:23 PM

19 posts, read 49,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post

But every region has its own little weird housing quirks.
I think it's weird how in the Midwest you guys put carpet in the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 03:51 PM

755 posts, read 1,120,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Here's an interesting modern remodel that is asking a significant premium for the finishes. This should be fun to watch. https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale.../home/27225464
Awesome. Somebody had a vision with that one!

Old 01-18-2015, 04:00 PM

397 posts, read 603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthena_79 View Post
I think it's weird how in the Midwest you guys put carpet in the bathroom.
I've never seen a house in the Midwest with carpet in the bathroom. However, I saw one house in Phoenix with carpet in the bathroom.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:23 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,345,668 times
Quote:
I've never seen a house in the Midwest with carpet in the bathroom. However, I saw one house in Phoenix with carpet in the bathroom.
Our house we bought here had carpet in the bathroom. SO GROSS!

It was changed along with the carpet in all the bedrooms as first priority.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:59 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
It's more common with older folks. I have rehabbed some properties in Sun Lakes and some had carpet in the bathrooms, but I never see it in other houses. Maybe its a precaution against slipping, but I love seeing it as its easy to pull out and improve with a nice tile.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:06 PM

I found an old thread where OP questioned why Phoenix homes are missing high end touches often found in southern track homes; e.g. crown molding and wainscoting. Someone responded that there are few skilled craftsman/laborers in Phoenix because cheap labor is pervasive. Supposedly it's very difficult to find laborers trained to do anything that requires precision. I've got no idea if there is any merit to this but thought it was a interesting suggestion.

It seems that people in Phoenix are more transient than people in the Midwest. Our friends here in Chicago don't move around that much. In our circle, people tend to buy a condo/townhouse/small home at marriage and then upgrade to a bigger house when their oldest is starting school or early elementary. Our friends intend to stay in their homes until their kids are out of school. Obviously things change and people move but the difference is that people intend to stay where they are.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
^You're the OP, right?

There's a lot of nice millwork done on higher end houses here. I think it's rare to find that in a new tract home here and elsewhere.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
^You're the OP, right?

There's a lot of nice millwork done on higher end houses here. I think it's rare to find that in a new tract home here and elsewhere.
I'm the OP on this thread but not the one I found from a few years ago.

Here's an example of what that OP meant outside of Atlanta. https://www.redfin.com/GA/Alpharetta.../home/24673495

This appears to be a low priced new home. Note the wainscoting and crown molding. I'm sure they were cheaply installed but it makes the house look more high end.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:43 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,076,577 times
Quote:
Here's an interesting modern remodel that is asking a significant premium for the finishes. This should be fun to watch. https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale.../home/27225464

wow...thanks for finding that one, Detroit......good view of going over-the-top with all the cool, hip, trendy decorator touches-of-the-moment.....the re-habber really let it get out of hand

unfortunately, grossly overpriced for the neighborhood and very much sticks out like a sore thumb as one drives down the street.....

feel sorry for that investor, but there's a chance some buyer will instantly love it and help that investor minimize his/her/their loss

Old 01-19-2015, 09:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
wow...thanks for finding that one, Detroit......good view of going over-the-top with all the cool, hip, trendy decorator touches-of-the-moment.....the re-habber really let it get out of hand

unfortunately, grossly overpriced for the neighborhood and very much sticks out like a sore thumb as one drives down the street.....

feel sorry for that investor, but there's a chance some buyer will instantly love it and help that investor minimize his/her/their loss
I disagree that it's grossly overpriced at $284/sq ft. The average listing price per sq ft in 85258 is $260 with some well over $300. There are also other moderns in the area so I don't think it will stick out like a sore thumb at all. The flat roof architecture of the houses in that area lend themselves to a modern aesthetic, although there are also tons of Spanish and Mediterraneans.

When selling a house for close to a million dollars, it has to be somewhat unique. I have no vested interest in the house but I think it looks well done and I think it will sell for near list price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area