Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:16 AM

241 posts, read 387,122 times

Advertisements

I personally would never buy a remodeled home. why pay a premium for someone else's taste? why not remodel to your liking since you're going to be living there? perhaps it's the OCD designer in me, but I sees value in buying a remodel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
I personally would never buy a remodeled home. why pay a premium for someone else's taste? why not remodel to your liking since you're going to be living there? perhaps it's the OCD designer in me, but I sees value in buying a remodel.
Maybe it's done to your liking and you don't want to go through the hassle yourself?

Old 01-13-2015, 07:04 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
What would be the price range for a remodeled home? We intentionally kept our range low. It's based only on my income because my DH will need to find a job here and we don't want to make any assumptions about what he's going to make and we still own a house here in Chicago that we will need to rent or sell.

Were these remodeled homes builder grade to begin with? The higher priced homes I see online were bigger and in more exclusive neighborhoods and probably came with higher end fixtures when they were built.

ETA the big difference in prices in Ocotillo seems to be driven entirely by square footage and the part of Ocotillo not updates in the house. In the older parts, I don't see houses that looked to have been dealer grade that have been updated and now sell for what a house sells for in the newer neighborhoods.
Well, that depends on what exactly you are looking for in Ocotillo. Ocotillo is made up of many subdivisions built between ~1986-2015 (new). There are various views, some on the 27-hole golf course, some on the various lakes that are scattered around, some are nearer to Intel which would be an inferior location, etc. If you are OK with an older home on a smallish lot with smaller livable area and no views, you might be able to find something updated within that price range.

I would disagree that square footage is what drives the price in Ocotillo, I would argue that the larger square footage puts you in a superior subdivision within the master plan, perhaps one with gates and water views, maybe built by TW Lewis, Toll Brothers or Camelot built in the 2000's versus the 1980's UDC homes. I recall looking at a resale in Ocotillo lakes in 2013, it was a ~2000 built TW Lewis home, 3,000 SF 1-story, 3 car garage, pool, BBQ, 12,000 SF lot. They wanted $525,000 for it, similar houses across the street on the water were selling for over $700,000. Problem was it had baltic brown granite, which is now about as popular as laminate, it had brass accents throughout, smaller and less popular ceramic tile, an electric range vs gas, etc. Similar homes with more modern upgrades were going for $550K at the time, so there was a premium for the upgrades, just not much. The value is mostly in the land (location) and the house and views.

If you are looking for something with decent size and a nice sized lot with perhaps a swimming pool, I would look at some of the adjacent subdivisions that are not as pricey as Ocotillo or Fulton Ranch such as Avalon, Fox Crossing, Carino Estates, maybe even as far away as Geneva Estates. In Ocotillo for the above criteria, $400-$450K as a starting point will open up a lot more options, but even at that price point you may be disappointed depending on what you are looking for.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:08 AM

241 posts, read 387,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Maybe it's done to your liking and you don't want to go through the hassle yourself?
To be honest, I've never seen a flip or remodel done more than 60% to my liking. Especially in the PHX area.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
To be honest, I've never seen a flip or remodel done more than 60% to my liking. Especially in the PHX area.
That's true. There are lots that are not done well. I give them credit on this one; at least they tried to make the house somewhat unique. https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale.../home/27223224

Old 01-13-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
That's true. There are lots that are not done well. I give them credit on this one; at least they tried to make the house somewhat unique. https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale.../home/27223224

I would tear out the butcher block countertop, the herringbone pattern brick floor, wallpaper, faux brick accent wall and barn door bypass doors.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I would tear out the butcher block countertop, the herringbone pattern brick floor, wallpaper, faux brick accent wall and barn door bypass doors.
I love the counters. So much better than boring, overused granite. I'm not a big fan of the brick but I like that they didn't go cookie-cutter.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:02 AM

397 posts, read 603,686 times
Quote:
I love the counters. So much better than boring, overused granite. I'm not a big fan of the brick but I like that they didn't go cookie-cutter.
I keep seeing barn doors on HGTV shows but don't like the look of them and think I'd get pretty sick of dealing with them in a house.

I'm bored with granite too and like the look of butcher block but worry about how practical it is in a kitchen.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
I keep seeing barn doors on HGTV shows but don't like the look of them and think I'd get pretty sick of dealing with them in a house.

I'm bored with granite too and like the look of butcher block but worry about how practical it is in a kitchen.
I'm OK with the barn doors in this case. They add a bit of a rustic touch in a modern space. They're way better than standard bi-fold closet doors.

I too wonder about the long-term practicality of butcher block counters. They're pretty inexpensive though.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I'm OK with the barn doors in this case. They add a bit of a rustic touch in a modern space. They're way better than standard bi-fold closet doors.

I too wonder about the long-term practicality of butcher block counters. They're pretty inexpensive though.
This is exactly why you DON'T put barn doors in a remodel, you have two people against it and one that is OK with it. If they were standard 6 panel painted hollow core doors, the doors would not be brought up at all. Gotta appeal to the masses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area