Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:13 AM

480 posts, read 846,204 times

Advertisements

Don't hesitate to look in Chandler. If you're paying the Ocotillo HOA, you have access to the Ocotillo Golf Club.

No idea of costs (haven't had to research this for myself), but here's a link you might use to get started. Chandler, AZ 55+ Active Adult Retirement Communities in Chandler Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 10:47 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,593,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
Don't hesitate to look in Chandler. If you're paying the Ocotillo HOA, you have access to the Ocotillo Golf Club.

No idea of costs (haven't had to research this for myself), but here's a link you might use to get started. Chandler, AZ 55+ Active Adult Retirement Communities in Chandler Arizona

The Ocotillo course is open to the public, but homeowners paying the HOA get a break on fees.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:19 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,677,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldomer View Post
Thanks thinkalot!

I'm a little little confused. Maybe you can set me straight.

Yesterday, prior to seeing your post, I checked the golf fees at Sun City Festival.
Holy smokes...even their "Special Resident Rate" looks really expensive.

This is from their website:

That's $130 every day the two of us play!
Playing 3 times a week would be almost $400 a week or $1600 every month.
Please tell me that can't be right ... can it?

I think that's about right. Their rec center fee is much higher too. You will not find anything that offers more than Sun City. The only drawback for some is the homes are all from 1960 to 1978. As Motley Crew posted there are quite a few that have been completely redone.

In your price range there are way too many places in The Valley to list.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:27 PM

480 posts, read 846,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
The Ocotillo course is open to the public, but homeowners paying the HOA get a break on fees.
Yes, of course, I'm sorry. That's what I was trying to say, but I got distracted in mid-sentence and wound up saying it wrong.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,347,527 times
OK - so my last post got deleted because I inadvertently made a "real estate recommendation" - whatever - wasn't my intention.

So here is again the remainder of the post without a specific example:

As always - I ll chime in with Casa Grande - only because golf is so much less expensive down here for someone who wants to play a lot. The courses are not pristine like some of them closer in to Phoenix - but there are about 6 of them down here and they are fine for daily play. If you are flexible for tee times and such you can often play for under 30.00 a round with cart even in the winter - and then in the summer (it IS hot though) you can play for 10.00!

Additionally you can get a REALLY nice house for 300K here Moderator cut: - and then have 50K to stick in the bank and the interest alone will pay for most of your golf!

When I need an occasional nicer course I have the options of either heading to Phoenix area OR the Tucson/Marana courses - both ways about an hour away.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-22-2015 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Same issue

Old 01-23-2015, 06:20 AM

41 posts, read 111,877 times
Hi sh9730,

Thanks very much for the information. How the heck do folks ever decide?
If forum rules allow, please DM me with the info you were trying to pass along.

Thanks
waldomer

Last edited by bustoff1; 01-23-2015 at 06:48 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 AM

214 posts, read 402,490 times
It was almost a no-brainer for us after looking around in 2012. We narrowed it to SC and SC West, eventually going with the Original Sun City.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,347,527 times
Wow - I guess you cant even recommend a NEIGHBORHOOD???? I don't understand? My first post did include a specific home from one of the realty sites (I am NOT related to the RE industry at all) - but the RE-POST simply said to check out a specific SUBDIVISION in Casa Grande? How is this different than people talking about neighborhoods in Tempe (Warner Ranch etc.) or others that are posted here all the time?

Anyway - OP - I guess I have to suggest you use whatever real estate search engine you prefer and use a 200K+ price point and you will see the neighborhood I was suggesting.

Good luck - a little frustrated with C-D this morning after loving it for 7 years now......

Old 01-24-2015, 02:34 PM

106 posts, read 251,795 times
We moved out here last August into a rental in Sun City Grand and then scouted every age-restricted community around - east, west and south of Phoenix. We ended up buying in Sun City Grand because we were able to 1) get a relatively newer home (2003) than in other established communities, 2) get a larger lot than was available in many communities and 3) because of the overall appearance and maintenance of the community (also a lot of variety in the size and prices of homes here). Liked Sun City Festival but hated the way the houses sat on the lots and feared the increase in HOA fees as the community was built out plus it was too far from everything. Sorry guys, but SC and SC West just didn't appeal to us. We don't golf but the rates here are reduced for residents (though all golf is pricy in my opinion).

As for the summer heat, we only had a few months of it but it really wasn't as bad as we expected - having come from hot and very humid New England.

Good luck.

Edited to add:
At your "youthful" age, you might want to also consider the average ages of communities that you look at when making a decision and find one that is a little closer to your ages.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 4,881 times
What about Fountain Hills which seems to be away from the busy city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area