Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:38 PM

11 posts, read 47,075 times

Advertisements

I know there are numerous posts about different parts of phoenix, but I couldn't find a specific answer to my question about the Phoenix area. My husband and I were looking for a suburb of Phoenix (even if it's out an hour to an hour and a half) That is pretty self sufficient. Meaning, there own police department (my hubby's an officer), plenty of shopping, but yet not real congested. We were there a couple of years ago and looked at Gilbert and Chandler and they both felt very congested and hectic. I guess we were hoping to find a town, close to phoenix, that is more rural, but still w/ neighborhoods, and not too pricey, meaning that you could buy a house for around 200-230. We have two children who will be 11. I appreciate any comments or suggestion anyone might have. Oh, by the way, were from NM and we know how hot it gets there. Were prepared for that. I guess were probably looking for what everyother middle class family with children is looking for, anyway. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 12:02 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,327,757 times
Casa Grande is exactly what you are looking for.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:25 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times
I like Surprise. For me it is just perfect. I guess for some it could be considered conjested. There is a lot of farm land in the area. The White Tank Mountains are near by. At the same time it is near other suburbs in the area. You can find homes for under $200,000. The base version of our home is now down to $169,000. Could go further. Still not built yet. There are plenty of resale homes in the area as well. They do have there own police department and must be doing a great job because its Arizona's safest city. I think that you will find everything that a young family is looking for.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:26 AM

683 posts, read 2,653,247 times
Or even a little further down the road in Red Rock or Marana. I'm moving to Red Rock and while there's not much there right now, I'm just 15 minutes from shopping in Marana and only an hour from Phoenix.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:42 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,455,316 times
Gold Canyon, nicer areas of Apache Junction, Waddell, Whittman

Old 12-22-2007, 09:38 AM

11 posts, read 47,075 times
Thank you all for all your suggestions. I seem to be reading alot about Surprise and it does sound nice. As far as Casa Grande goes we did drive there and didn't feel it was exactly what we were looking for, although there does seem to be alot of growth. Could someone give me more info on Marana, how big is it? Cost of living? Also Camp Verde seems just about perfect, however it seems a little pricey.. anyone with any comments on that. Thank you all for your input.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:48 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,169 times
One thing about Surprise. If you work and stay in the city you will not see much congestion. If you have to drive out in rush hour to Phoenix you will see some traffic.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:57 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,176,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
One thing about Surprise. If you work and stay in the city you will not see much congestion. If you have to drive out in rush hour to Phoenix you will see some traffic.
I would say Surprise is congested and you will see more than just some traffic. Bell rd is crazy packed during rush hour. I would not suggest it.

I think the other suggestions are good. Definitely do not look at Queen Creek, that place is horrible for traffic!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:28 AM

39,098 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
That's more or less true everywhere. Congestion is not a big deal if everything you need is within a couple miles. It's when you have to leave your little corner of Metropolis that you go crazy.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:32 AM

39,098 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Try Goodyear or even Buckeye. I saw in the paper that Goodyear is paying fat signing bonuses for cops with experience. Goodyear is like Gilbert was 10-15 years ago. There still are cotton fields and open spaces all over. There's been a massive commercial construction boom in the past couple years and now you can find just about anything shopping wise nearby. It'll all be gone in a few more years, another sea of tile roofs, strip malls and parking lots. But, for now, it still has a little touch of rural left.

If you really want rural (sububan rural) feel and don't mind driving for EVERTHING then Estrella (Mountain Ranch) is the place to be. It is completely isolated from the rest of the Phoenix metro by the Estrella Mts and the Gila River. It has private lakes, a waterpark, golf course and club, fitness center, miles of trails, tons of organized activities, and some highly-ranked schools in a very beautiful setting. It's part of Goodyear officially - about 10 miles south of the Goodyear Airport.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-22-2007 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area