Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 03:42 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,706 times

Advertisements

Seems here in the Phoenix area, Scottsdale, Mesa, et al all have their own identity. Running into someone from the area up here in Canada last week, they said they were from Tempe and not Phoenix, despite the fact very few people know where Tempe is. Also seems during the super bowl weekend, people are mentioning "Arizona" and no Phoenix although most of the activity is in Downtown Phoenix from what I know. My question is why is the Phoenix area so disjointed? Or am I wrong here?

Last edited by theterribleone; 01-30-2015 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 03:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
When you live in Tempe, why would you say you live in Phoenix? I don't get the question.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
When I'm elsewhere, I tell people I live in Phoenix. Most people may recognize Scottsdale, but it's all the Phoenix metro. I find it odd for someone to be in Canada and say that they live in Tempe, unless they knew you were familiar with the area.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
When you live in Tempe, why would you say you live in Phoenix? I don't get the question.
For the same reason people from Evanston say they live in Chicago. It's far more common to tell people which metropolitan area you live in when traveling elsewhere, rather than breaking it down to a suburb they may have never heard of.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:58 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Sorry, should have said when you leave the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
When I'm elsewhere, I tell people I live in Phoenix. Most people may recognize Scottsdale, but it's all the Phoenix metro. I find it odd for someone to be in Canada and say that they live in Tempe, unless they knew you were familiar with the area.
In fairness I am familiar with geography, but none of my friends knew where it was.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:21 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Maybe because they are Canadians and don't know Phoenix from Tempe. When I am out of town I tell people I am from Phoenix or the Phoenix area. When in town, I am more granular and give the city name. In that city or part of town, I will say the development name. I think most people do that.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:24 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
I tell people I am from Chandler. I have never lived in Phoenix.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I tell people I am from Chandler. I have never lived in Phoenix.
I guess that's what the OP is talking about. That's weird to me. Most people not from the area won't know where Chandler is. IMO, it comes off as if you're a bit disconnected to assume that they would.

"Where are you from?"
"I'm from Chandler, AZ."
"Where's that?"
"A suburb of Phoenix."
"Oh, cool."

or

"Where are you from?"
"Phoenix."
"Oh, cool."

Old 01-30-2015, 04:50 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I guess that's what the OP is talking about. That's weird to me. Most people not from the area won't know where Chandler is. IMO, it comes off as if you're a bit disconnected to assume that they would.

"Where are you from?"
"I'm from Chandler, AZ."
"Where's that?"
"A suburb of Phoenix."
"Oh, cool."

or

"Where are you from?"
"Phoenix."
"Oh, cool."
Actually, I have met a lot of people who know someone that lives in Chandler. I am fine being disconnected from Phoenix.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Actually, I have met a lot of people who know someone that lives in Chandler. I am fine being disconnected from Phoenix.
I meant disconnected from reality; as in it's strange to say you're from some random suburb when traveling elsewhere and speaking to someone unfamiliar with the area.

Would you not expect someone from Coppell (insert random suburb) to say that they're from Dallas (insert major metro area)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area