Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 07:50 AM

9,854 posts, read 11,248,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I believe you mean Chicago, St Louis was just a stop in the road

Plus cardinals was originally based on the color, I have seen the bird here in AZ and its been the same family ownership since the team started, one of the oldest in the league...... Not sure why they would change
I did not know that. Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I see at least one cardinal (bird) a week in my backyard - generally every day. They are here in winter at least . Check out "range" under this link:

Northern Cardinal - Cardinalis cardinalis - NatureWorks

Anyway are there tigers in Cincy, lions in Detroit, or any real patriots left in New England?
True. There are not too many lakes in LA (The Lakers team came from MPLS).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 10:31 AM

397 posts, read 604,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcockatoo View Post
Nah, I'd say Tucson area, I just wouldn't claim Tucson by itself as much as I'd like to. If I said Oro Valley I wouldn't expect anyone in NYC to know what that is. When I'm in Tucson, or maybe even Phoenix or Nogales or anywhere with people who may be familiar with the area, then yes I absolutely expect people to have negative perceptions of me based on where I live.

As for the earlier comment (from Detroit I think), yes it is very common. A majority of people who live in suburbs just say the nearest large city. It makes sense to them. If you live in that city and there's people from a nearby suburb claiming the city than it becomes a bit weird.
I'm sorry but it's really weird to suggest that people people claiming they are from the main city are lying. I suspect the root of this is your feeling ashamed of where you live and how you expect people to have negative impressions of you. I'm not familiar with Tucson so I have no idea what Oro Valley is and why I should look down on it but most people do not look down on people simply because of the town they live in.

In the Chicago area there are premium suburbs, mid range suburbs and low class suburbs. However, when I've met someone from a lesser suburb, I never assume anything about them. They might be living in the house built by their grandparents or something and don't want to move on to the next big thing, KWIM? Maybe they work in the town as a teacher or cop and have to live there. You just never know and that's why most of us don't judge based on the town.

And if you're so ashamed of living there, why not move to Tucson?

Old 02-01-2015, 11:54 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,634,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Anyway are there tigers in Cincy, lions in Detroit, or any real patriots left in New England?
I've been wondering that myself.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:03 PM

107 posts, read 134,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
I'm sorry but it's really weird to suggest that people people claiming they are from the main city are lying. I suspect the root of this is your feeling ashamed of where you live and how you expect people to have negative impressions of you. I'm not familiar with Tucson so I have no idea what Oro Valley is and why I should look down on it but most people do not look down on people simply because of the town they live in.

In the Chicago area there are premium suburbs, mid range suburbs and low class suburbs. However, when I've met someone from a lesser suburb, I never assume anything about them. They might be living in the house built by their grandparents or something and don't want to move on to the next big thing, KWIM? Maybe they work in the town as a teacher or cop and have to live there. You just never know and that's why most of us don't judge based on the town.

And if you're so ashamed of living there, why not move to Tucson?
I think lying might be a bad choice of words on my part. I don't necessarily see it as lying, but I think it's not entirely accurate or at least not telling the whole story. Some of us in the suburbs are mostly connected to the city, but that's not true for everyone, which can lead to awkwardness later on. Like if you say you're from Chicago, but are really from Evanston or Northbrook (let's take it further and say Libertyville lol), it could be weird especially if you don't spend a lot of time in Chicago proper. Someone who lives in Chicago proper and someone who lives in Northbrook (especially if they don't venture out much) will have some similarities, but their experiences and world view will be quite a bit different. While it's safe to assume nobody will know either way, you can never be too sure. Like with that guy from Brigham City claiming SLC. I just think it's inaccurate (we'll use that instead of lying now) and is in a way a disservice to the rapidly changing suburbs. With everyone claiming the nearest large city, it has a subtle effect on how we view the suburbs because we are never really exposed to them unless we live in them, and everyone claiming the nearest big city only hinder our understanding of them. I think in a way it's doing a disservice to your own town/city/suburb/area.

I don't personally judge people based on where they live either. However with Oro Valley specifically, it's mostly affluent people moving from out of state into brand new homes, so the vast majority are here through their own choice. As for me, my plan is definitely to move into Tucson within the year.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:09 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,763,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
No. The Cardinals are from St. Louis.

If the Diamondbacks franchise ever leave and move to Oregon, are they going to keep the mascot name "Diamondbacks" even when it is incredibly rare to see a Diamondback in Oregon (just like a Cardinal sighting is incredibly rare in the Valley)? I never really understood why they didn't can that Cardinal name here in AZ. I bet that rare cardinal bird that flies to Phoenix might have took a wrong turn along the flight pattern. They could have called them the Phoenix Pigeons and play at "Pigeons Stadium". Then they would never have to power wash the roof.
The most bizarre example of keeping a transplanted team's name is the Utah (formerly New Orleans) Jazz.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The most bizarre example of keeping a transplanted team's name is the Utah (formerly New Orleans) Jazz.
I realize this may be a topic all unto itself, but I've never understood why cities allow such great team names to be taken away, especially if the name represents your area more so than another!

Old 02-01-2015, 12:37 PM

8,049 posts, read 12,318,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Except the sports teams don't identify themselves with Glendale. They identify themselves with Arizona, and the Coyotes previously identified themselves with Phoenix. Few people outside of Arizona actually know the Cardinals and Coyotes are from Glendale, while everybody seems to know that the Sun Devils are from Tempe. Most people would probably associate the name Glendale with the city in California.
Pro sports teams should always identify themselves with the core city, or the metro area they represent. It should be the Phoenix Diamondbacks, Phoenix Cardinals, and Phoenix Coyotes. In fact, two of those teams were originally named after Phoenix, but were somehow changed to Arizona. It's been said that one of the reasons for the Arizona name is they want the entire state to share in the benefit. Quite frankly, that's a stupid reason ... I don't think anybody in Tuba City or Douglas even cares about pro sports. This b.s. with naming everything after Arizona does nothing for us except give Phoenix a lack of identity.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:06 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,763,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I realize this may be a topic all unto itself, but I've never understood why cities allow such great team names to be taken away, especially if the name represents your area more so than another!
The teams own the names, not the cities. When the Washington Senators moved to the Dallas area to become the Texas Rangers, the team still owned the Senators name. Years later the Montreal Expos moved to Washington and the ownership wanted to use the name Washington Senators. The Texas owners refused to allow it, and that's why they are the Nationals rather than the Senators.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The teams own the names, not the cities. When the Washington Senators moved to the Dallas area to become the Texas Rangers, the team still owned the Senators name. Years later the Montreal Expos moved to Washington and the ownership wanted to use the name Washington Senators. The Texas owners refused to allow it, and that's why they are the Nationals rather than the Senators.
Then legally what will need to happen in the future is for cities to work in conjunction with the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL/etc to develop a clause which would make it impossible for teams to take away a city's name without permission.

Ownership of teams can be taken way too far, and cities need to have some form of protection as well - especially if the team name is in their community's best interest.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:38 PM

397 posts, read 604,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcockatoo View Post
I think lying might be a bad choice of words on my part. I don't necessarily see it as lying, but I think it's not entirely accurate or at least not telling the whole story. Some of us in the suburbs are mostly connected to the city, but that's not true for everyone, which can lead to awkwardness later on. Like if you say you're from Chicago, but are really from Evanston or Northbrook (let's take it further and say Libertyville lol), it could be weird especially if you don't spend a lot of time in Chicago proper. Someone who lives in Chicago proper and someone who lives in Northbrook (especially if they don't venture out much) will have some similarities, but their experiences and world view will be quite a bit different. While it's safe to assume nobody will know either way, you can never be too sure. Like with that guy from Brigham City claiming SLC. I just think it's inaccurate (we'll use that instead of lying now) and is in a way a disservice to the rapidly changing suburbs. With everyone claiming the nearest large city, it has a subtle effect on how we view the suburbs because we are never really exposed to them unless we live in them, and everyone claiming the nearest big city only hinder our understanding of them. I think in a way it's doing a disservice to your own town/city/suburb/area.

I don't personally judge people based on where they live either. However with Oro Valley specifically, it's mostly affluent people moving from out of state into brand new homes, so the vast majority are here through their own choice. As for me, my plan is definitely to move into Tucson within the year.
I think you're missing the point. My saying I live in Phoenix when I'm North Carolina is not about how people in NC will view Chandler or Phoenix. My saying Phoenix gives them a frame of reference for where I'm from because likely they've heard of it but have not heard of Chandler. And it has nothing to do with how much time I spend in Phoenix.

I think you're too caught in how others perceive things. When someone from Naperville says they're from Chicago or someone from Gilbert says they're from Phoenix, they're not trying to send any message about where they are from. Just trying to identify the area that they are from to people unfamiliar with the area. It's basic politeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area