Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:26 PM

324 posts, read 332,991 times

Advertisements

Ok lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 01:27 PM

8,049 posts, read 12,319,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
Seems here in the Phoenix area, Scottsdale, Mesa, et al all have their own identity. Running into someone from the area up here in Canada last week, they said they were from Tempe and not Phoenix, despite the fact very few people know where Tempe is. Also seems during the super bowl weekend, people are mentioning "Arizona" and no Phoenix although most of the activity is in Downtown Phoenix from what I know. My question is why is the Phoenix area so disjointed? Or am I wrong here?
You're not wrong at all ... in fact, you make some very good observations. What I've noticed is how many things around here are labeled as "Arizona" and not Phoenix. Look at the pro sports teams: Arizona Cardinals, Arizona Coyotes, and Arizona Diamondbacks. The only team that is identified with Phoenix is the Suns. Even the major newspaper is the Arizona Republic. I don't know why this is ... unless it's because we're in the center of the state, or if it's because Phoenix is seen as some kind of embarrassment to the rest of the state. Who knows? All I know is I hate it because it gives Phoenix such a lack of identity.

At the same time, I don't mind it all that much when people say they're from Scottsdale or Tempe. Many people across the nation have heard of Scottsdale & Tempe, and know that they are both unique to what they offer, even though they are technically Phoenix suburbs. I much prefer it when people identify themselves with the CITY they live in, and not the entire state. When I hear that somebody is from Arizona, my first question is: "OK, but WHERE in AZ?"

Old 01-31-2015, 03:32 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,507,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You're not wrong at all ... in fact, you make some very good observations. What I've noticed is how many things around here are labeled as "Arizona" and not Phoenix. Look at the pro sports teams: Arizona Cardinals, Arizona Coyotes, and Arizona Diamondbacks. The only team that is identified with Phoenix is the Suns. Even the major newspaper is the Arizona Republic. I don't know why this is ... unless it's because we're in the center of the state, or if it's because Phoenix is seen as some kind of embarrassment to the rest of the state. Who knows? All I know is I hate it because it gives Phoenix such a lack of identity.

At the same time, I don't mind it all that much when people say they're from Scottsdale or Tempe. Many people across the nation have heard of Scottsdale & Tempe, and know that they are both unique to what they offer, even though they are technically Phoenix suburbs. I much prefer it when people identify themselves with the CITY they live in, and not the entire state. When I hear that somebody is from Arizona, my first question is: "OK, but WHERE in AZ?"
That's exactly what I was trying to say. Seems that the is a lack of identity with Metro Phoenix itself. Lot's of people don't say they're from Metro Phoenix.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:45 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,404,151 times
Scottsdale and Tempe (and Mesa to a lesser extent) seem to have national recognition, however, cities/towns such as Chandler, Glendale, Gilbert, Peoria, and Surprise are less familiar to many outside of Arizona. Most people would probably associate Glendale with the city in California, and Peoria with the city in Illinois.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:49 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,763,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Scottsdale and Tempe (and Mesa to a lesser extent) seem to have national recognition, however, cities/towns such as Chandler, Glendale, Gilbert, Peoria, and Surprise are less familiar to many outside of Arizona. Most people would probably associate Glendale with the city in California, and Peoria with the city in Illinois.
Very few people outside of Arizona have heard of Mesa. Glendale is more familiar due to the sports venues.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:54 PM

107 posts, read 134,064 times
Phoenix area is fine, but IMO you should be honest about where you live. Why should you say Phoenix if you're from Chandler?

I am in the Tucson area, and while I'd like to claim Tucson, I can't do that because I live in Oro Valley. It's highly embarrassing for me, but as much as I love Tucson you've got to be honest.

I used to live in Salt Lake county (not in Salt Lake City proper but close) and I recall a conversation that went something like this:

Person: "I'm from Salt Lake City."
Me: "Which area?"
Person: "I'm actually from Brigham City."
Me: LOL (not really but in my head that was my reaction).

Old 01-31-2015, 04:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,699,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcockatoo View Post
Phoenix area is fine, but IMO you should be honest about where you live. Why should you say Phoenix if you're from Chandler?

I am in the Tucson area, and while I'd like to claim Tucson, I can't do that because I live in Oro Valley. It's highly embarrassing for me, but as much as I love Tucson you've got to be honest.

I used to live in Salt Lake county (not in Salt Lake City proper but close) and I recall a conversation that went something like this:

Because people that live in Chandler are still from Phoenix, as is anyone in the Valley. Just like people from Rochester Hills are Detroiters. It's not being dishonest. It's being able to recognize when such detail is unnecessary. Seem like a basic conversation skill. There's no reason to be so granular when someone is unfamiliar with the area.

I assure you, most people I come into contact with during my frequent travels mention that they're from the nearest major city to their random suburb, that is likely to be meaningless to me.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:35 PM

107 posts, read 134,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Because people that live in Chandler are still from Phoenix, as is anyone in the Valley. Just like people from Rochester Hills are Detroiters. It's not being dishonest. It's being able to recognize when such detail is unnecessary. Seem like a basic conversation skill. There's no reason to be so granular when someone is unfamiliar with the area.

I assure you, most people I come into contact with during my frequent travels mention that they're from the nearest major city to their random suburb, that is likely to be meaningless to me.
There's probably cultural differences between cities, but in my experience you never say you're from New York City if you don't live in one of the five boroughs, or New Orleans if you don't live in one of the 17 wards. Phoenix and Tucson aren't really organised that way, but still.

Those people (like the example I used of claiming Salt Lake City when he lived literally fifty miles away) are lying and they are actually just doing themselves and their area a disservice. It's not a valid representation of the city they're claiming and they are just reinforcing the idea that their suburb is just meaningless and 'random'.

I'd consider myself an integral part of the Tucson area, and I'm in Tucson proper everyday, but I'd still be lying if I claimed it at the moment. When I ashamedly admit I live in Oro Valley, I'm breaking down negative perceptions and acknowledging whatever differences there may be. I hate the urban planning that lead to suburbanisation to begin with and I'd like more unity in the areas, but in the meantime I maintain that honesty is key. It might just be superficial small talk in most cases but we'd all learn more by being honest than we would by all trying to attach our image to the same few cities. For the aforementioned reason of wanting unity, I am still in support of repping a unified metro area regardless of where you officially live.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:41 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,699,899 times
Quote:
There's probably cultural differences between cities, but in my experience you never say you're from New York City if you don't live in one of the five boroughs, or New Orleans if you don't live in one of the 17 wards. Phoenix and Tucson aren't really organised that way, but still.

Those people (like the example I used of claiming Salt Lake City when he lived literally fifty miles away) are lying and they are actually just doing themselves and their area a disservice. It's not a valid representation of the city they're claiming and they are just reinforcing the idea that their suburb is just meaningless and 'random'.

I'd consider myself an integral part of the Tucson area, and I'm in Tucson proper everyday, but I'd still be lying if I claimed it at the moment. When I ashamedly admit I live in Oro Valley, I'm breaking down negative perceptions and acknowledging whatever differences there may be. I hate the urban planning that lead to suburbanisation to begin with and I'd like more unity in the areas, but in the meantime I maintain that honesty is key. It might just be superficial small talk in most cases but we'd all learn more by being honest than we would by all trying to attach our image to the same few cities. For the aforementioned reason of wanting unity, I am still in support of repping a unified metro area regardless of where you officially live.
They're lying?! You must be kidding. Reasonable people understand that when someone says they're from Houston, Phoenix, Detroit, Omaha that they're from somewhere in the metropolitan area of these major cities. There's nothing disingenuous about it.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:46 PM

324 posts, read 332,991 times
Quote:

That's precisely why I say the actual city I'm from not "yeah I'm from Phoenix . And the other person goes " used to live there near such and such" and then my turn to say "well I have no idea where that is, I'm not actually from there.
had a tenant once who was relocating from Chicago when finally saw them to give the keys ask about where in Chicago they moving from? it ended up being Gary Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area